ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Fishing cats and Fishing cat hybrids

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

cat person
Banned
Banned

Fishing cats and Fishing cat hybrids

Postby cat person » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Hey All,

I saw, yet again, in my humble opinion, the coolest hybrid. It is part Fishing cat (Prionailurus viverrinus) and domestic cat. Does anyone know who breeds this hybrid? I know, Select Exotics, sometimes breed F2's.

macmanmatty

Re: Does anyone know of an F1 Fishing cat hybrid breeder?

Postby macmanmatty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:26 am

I believe the select exotics was only breeding them and they bred f1's and called them jambis. They could be making f2's now though.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:50 pm

macmanmatty wrote:I believe the select exotics was only breeding them and they bred f1's and called them jambis. They could be making f2's now though.

This is, Select Exotics, website on the Jambi cat:http://www.savannahcatbreed.com/breed-info/jambi-cat..

Do you or anyone you know, dealt with them? I have heard, both good and bad comments regarding Select Exotics. I had also heard, both good and bad things, about A1 Savannah's. I know someone, who recently got a Savannah from them (about a year ago). This person loves the cat, so, I know you can not believe everything you hear.

Do you think they are worth contacting? I am guessing and F2 would look like a huge fat Bengal? But, I really do not know.

I love the F1 on the website. Yes, I have a thing for fat cats :monk-dev: . Any idea, how Fishing Cat hybrids are as pets? Or a pure fishing cat for that matter.

amyers

Postby amyers » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:04 pm

I have only heard two things about fishing cats, one being that they are freakishly sweet when hand raised, and two that one in a zoo killed a leopard twice its size. Leopard killers are not really on my "must-have" list lol.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Fishing cats are very territorial. There was a documentary in one zoo where they were trying to introduce them slowly to each other hoping to bread them. They are known to kill their "mates". The one at a local zoo I went to had the two fishing cats cage near each other. One was missing a leg from the failed pairing.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 pm

amyers wrote:I have only heard two things about fishing cats, one being that they are freakishly sweet when hand raised,

That sounds very very sweet :mrgreen: .

amyers wrote:and two that one in a zoo killed a leopard twice its size. Leopard killers are not really on my "must-have" list lol.

Yea, that makes me want to pass. I can see how, that makes someone, not want one. Did they mean African or Amore type Leopard? Or a Asian Leopard cat?

These are some sites, regarding a pure Fishing Cat: http://www.hemmy.net/2007/10/21/extreme-pets-fishing-cat/ and http://englishrussia.com/2009/07/05/russian-pet/.

Yes, both sites are about the same. Just one has a description and one has pictures. Let me know what you think, please. I love the one, of him holding the fish. The other really cute one, IMHO, is the one of the chicken feathers all over the room.

Now, I want to move to Russia :lol: .

TamanduaGirl wrote:Fishing cats are very territorial. There was a documentary in one zoo where they were trying to introduce them slowly to each other hoping to bread them. They are known to kill their "mates". The one at a local zoo I went to had the two fishing cats cage near each other. One was missing a leg from the failed pairing.

icon_confused.gif :roll: . Okay, maybe I do not want a Fishing cat. Let me know what you think of the websites too.

Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Clouded leopards are known for killing their mates too, but are supposed to be very sweet with people (and potential mates) that they're raised with. Could be the same for fishing cats.

On an aside, that cat is so fat! :lol:
Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:02 am

What a beautiful animal! Those photos are fantastic, and that cat is obviously well adjusted to his furred and unfurred family.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 pm

vln_girl wrote: On an aside, that cat is so fat! :lol:

I agree, but, isn't she adorable? Okay, maybe it is just me :lol: .

Nova wrote:What a beautiful animal! Those photos are fantastic, and that cat is obviously well adjusted to his furred and unfurred family.

That is very true. I wonder if that is an "exceptional" Fishing Cat or could they all have similar dispositions if hand reared? I think a Fishing Cat is a "cool cat".

Well, I heard back from Select Exotics. They are no longer breeding Asia :cry: . Plus, they no longer have a Fishing Cat. So, sadly, no Fishing Cat hybrid for me :icon-frown: . I did ask, just out of curiosity, if they kept Asia or re-homed her. I would love to have gotten her. Now, can you imagine the shipping cost on her :lol: ?

amyers

Re: Fishing cats and Fishing cat hybrids

Postby amyers » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:21 pm

I think Kapi'yva exotics is breeding fishing cats now, or will start pretty soon. Maybe someone will start another hybrid program.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:55 pm

amyers wrote:I think Kapi'yva exotics is breeding fishing cats now, or will start pretty soon. Maybe someone will start another hybrid program.

I am fairly sure this is the site you are referring to: http://www.kapiyvaexotics.com/

To Mary, Lasergrl, amyers, and Delight,

This is the Fishing Cat page: http://www.kapiyvaexotics.com/fishing-cat.html. I am fairly sure, I know what they mean by a "zoo". But, if anyone is sure and wants to explain, please feel free. Now, my real question is this: What do they mean by licensed facilities? I have some idea's, but, clearly am NOT sure.

Also, I was always under the impression, right or wrong, you did NOT need to be USDA, to breed F1 hybrid cats. Is that correct? Now, I do get the feeling, this women is NOT going to sell her cats to a hybrid program. Since, she is talking about the responsible propagation of the species. I know, hybridization, is not "responsible".

I would LOVE to have a Fishing cat, I think :lol: .

Does anyone know, if the male, would have to be the "wild cat", to make F1 hybrids? Like, with the Serval, Asian Leopard Cat, and Geoffrey Cat hybrids?

Does anyone know, how hard this hybrid is to even create? Is it very hard, like the Safari Cat (Geoffrey Cat hybrid) or fairly easy, like the Bengal (Asian Leopard Cat hybrid)?

Lastly, on my list of questions, how hard is a Fishing cats diet and care? Has anyone worked with or around a adult Fishing Cat?

Some interesting Fishing Cat links: Maybe, just interesting to me :mrgreen: .

http://www.felineconservation.org/feline_species/fishing_cat.htm

http://curiousanimals.net/animals/fishing-cat-felis-viverrina/(Is the cat, in the second photo, a pure Fishing Cat? I ask because of the "ticked" pattern, seen in Jungle Cats and JC hybrids).

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-fishing_cat.html

http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/18150/0

http://www.fishingcatproject.info/en/ecology

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:11 pm

I think it would be near impossible to achieve a hybrid without AI due to the Fishing Cat aggression issue with other animals and cats. They would more likely eat your house cat than play with it. Since both house cats and fishing cats have 38 chromosomes the odds should be good at success through AI however.

As to that page yeah they mean USDA licensed facilities. They don't want to sell them as house pets but as breeders with their own species and maybe educational animals.

They also go by the names of Machbagral, bagral, and Viverral cat
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:17 pm

They mean USDA and are eluding to no hybrid programs.
I am not sure they always need AI as they do occur once in a while. I do know my geoffroys cat would try and kill another cat so I can sympathise with the breeding troubles.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:32 pm

Yeah not impossible but one friendly enough to get along with cats and still be intact and then breed with them would be highly rare I think.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:10 am

Lasergrl wrote:They mean USDA and are eluding to no hybrid programs.
I am not sure they always need AI as they do occur once in a while. I do know my geoffroys cat would try and kill another cat so I can sympathise with the breeding troubles.

Do all breeders of Fishing Cats, require you be USDA and more importantly, NOT agree with a hybrid breeding program? Also, if someone is USDA, does that mean LEGALLY, you can not do a hybrid breeding program?

TamanduaGirl wrote:I think it would be near impossible to achieve a hybrid without AI due to the Fishing Cat aggression issue with other animals and cats. They would more likely eat your house cat than play with it. Since both house cats and fishing cats have 38 chromosomes the odds should be good at success through AI however.

As to that page yeah they mean USDA licensed facilities. They don't want to sell them as house pets but as breeders with their own species and maybe educational animals.

They also go by the names of Machbagral, bagral, and Viverral cat

Thank you, do you ever see Fishing Cats in the animal finders guide? Do those people have the same requirements, in general? Meaning, no hybrid program, USDA and so on.

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”