Our Bobcat Benji

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Our Bobcat Benji

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:23 am

Cool sounds durable. I need to redo my floor which is cement. Paint wearing and staining. Don't know what I'd do with the animals though so will probably do linoleum tiles next time, at little more expensive though but less work involved.
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:49 am

egroegart wrote:LOL. yes, thank you. I can't believe we are harboring these wild creatures. How deprived they are. It is so sad, Benji never has to worry about how or where he will get his next meal. He sleeps on a bed in between, on top of us, and all over, Even with the kids in their beds. OMG. How terrible. lol. Yes, they have it so bad.......LMAO. Oh, and Rottweilers..............So dangerous. We may have to work with this guy. He is so bad for the Rottweiler name. I hope the other Rottweilers never see him, because he spends his day grooming a deer. Napping with a bobcat and curling up on the couch with us, and sleeping in the bed with us and Benji at night.. What a life. lol. It's terrible, he's ruining the Rottweiler's reputations.

:lol: :lol:

My grandparents have the microtopping in there basement and its pretty good stuff. The only downsides is it wears on your socks after awhile and puts holes in them from the sand in it.
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:36 pm

It was kind of rough, but then I used a really fine grit sanding disc. If you use a really fine grit the floor will be much smoother. The floor was very uneven underneath and when I sanded a few spots went through to the concrete underneath, so I have to apply a second coat over the whole floor of the microtopping. UGH. It looks great and it will be really nice when it's done. We bought a sealer that will make the top kind of smooth too and protect against stains.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Why did you give your other bobcat away?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:03 pm

I'll try to keep it short, Aiya was my first bobcat. He now lives with my good friend John. On the site here his name is Amberthebobcat. He has a lot of pics of Aiya and his other bobs. Aiya made everyday wonderful. He was the light of my life. I live in a tiny house. My sister's fiancee threw her out literally on the street when she was almost due to give birth. She had nowhere to go. I took her in obviously. It was so hard to do, but with a new baby, no money and nowhere to go I had to let her stay here. Believe me, we ran every possible option through our heads over and over and over, trying to figure a way that he could stay but have no contact with the brand new infant. There is no way to remodel this house for that to even be possible. My house is only 700 square feet. Aiya is a wonderful bobcat and was by my side from morning to night. Such a good boy, but I knew better than to take any chance at all, and without any options with the house, we decided it best that he went to live with John. The only option I had where he would have gotten to stay with me was for him to live in the enclosure 100% of the time. I absolutely refused that. Aiya would have been miserable. He was used to being around people everyday. Making his life inside the house with us. Spending his whole life with us. I knew if he went with John he would have that kind of life. And he does. He goes outside whenever he wants to, and sleeps on the bed with John and the other bobs. He is so happy and I am so glad. I blamed myself for so long after I brought him to John, even though I knew I did the best thing for him. It hurt. I felt like a terrible owner, and I was embarassed. I had spent the last several years telling people there were no good excuses to get rid of your animal, and then there I am stuck in the same position. It took a long time for me to stop blaming myself. To this day I still have feelings in the back of my head that there could have been something I could have done different. But anyway. Aiya is so happy and that is all that counts. I go up to visit him whenever I can. I wish the gas prices were much lower, that makes it really hard to get up to see him often like we would like to. I told myself that I would never own another one again after what had happened. I guess with time, and just spending time with more bobs of friends Michelle and I finally decided that we were going to bring another bob into our lives. Benji is our baby and he loves us and we love him. We don't know how we could function without him. He is the light of our lives. Thank you for asking. It's a hard story still to this day to talk about, and I think of Aiya at least once a day to this day, but when I think of him now it's always with a smile because I know how happy he is.

Ok, on a different note here are some more pics from tonight of Benji and Tyson. What a cute pair.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:09 pm

That's so sad! :*( It's good that you did what you knew was right though. That's much better than leaving her in her enclosure all day. You shouldn't have felt bad. You rescued her, after all.

And Benji and Tyson are an adorable pair:) Where did you get Tyson? He almost looks like a beauceron.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 pm

Yea i'm assuming he is an american rott? He seems to have the much more refined head and lighter bone.
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks, We rescued Tyson from the family that we were training him for. We began training and puppy sitting for them when he was 9 weeks old. They work 12 to 16 hour shifts and found they had no time for him. and when they asked if we would help find a home for him it was a no brainer. We were already in love with him, so we took him in. He was at our house 90% of the time already anyway. He fit right in.

Yes Realtree, he is a mix between the American and German Rott. His mother is a German and father was an American.
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Benji has really attached himself to Tyson, They play really rough, but they have a lot of fun. Here's the latest video.
http://youtu.be/gq3SzOSdJQI
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 am

Awww hehe :) Who's the other dog in the background?

ImageImage
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:10 pm

That is Buster, our Boxer.
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:47 pm

Benji decided that he wanted the curtain we have in the mud room out in his enclosure on his platform. He's such a great decorator. lol. He took the whole rod and curtain and just placed it on the platform. Silly boy.

egroegart

Postby egroegart » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:12 pm

TG. I didn't see your post. I thought about doing linoleum tiles too. I just stumbled across this skim coating process on the internet and it works great. I think the tiles would be a good idea too.

Here's the latest on Benji. He eats mostly chickens, but for snacks we give him a lot of different things. Sometimes he likes some beef burger or turkey burger.

http://youtu.be/I4yPvYhqVGM
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:52 pm

That's okay. The top coating is probably more durable so a better option in the long run but the logistics at this time would be difficult so I'll go with ease for now. It is a great option I'd not heard of before though, so glad you shared.

Aw he is fluffy now. He seems to prefer licking it to taking bites.
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

It seems to be very durable, and much easier to clean up than the carpet was. I've had some experience with concrete work and I'm glad because I would have been lost. This kind of top coat is alot more watery when mixed and very hard to trowel and get nice and smooth. It was very frustrating while I was doing it, but it worked out.

He does kind of lick or suck at the ground meat when he eats it. It is totally different when he eatswhole chicken. He just rips it apart.

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”