https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My bobcats :-))

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Amberthebobcat

Re: My bobcats :-))

Postby Amberthebobcat » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:47 pm

More Aiya pics to come George icon-smile
In the cougar's den with 4 domestic cats, 5 bobcats and 1 loving cougar :-)
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:05 pm

I can't wait. Thank you
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:39 pm

LOL, John, how many of Nakoma's kittens would you keep? :icon-wink:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:09 am

I just saw the pictures of Aiya's paws. They're huge! I've heard bobcats can walk on top of snow easier than most animals, and now I see how.

60 pounds! :shock: That sounds huge for a bobcat. Then again, I didn't know the differences between the northern and southern subspecies until it was mentioned on here. That's really interesting. Isn't that much heavier than an average lynx?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
amyers

Postby amyers » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:12 pm

That depends on which lynx species you're talking about. Eurasians get that high pretty often. Canadas don't tend to get that heavy. The average weight in the wild is 35-45 lbs. Iberians are close in size to the Canadas.

And yes, that's exceptionally large for a bobber. They CAN get that high up north, but they don't usually. Even in Vermont the average female is only 22 lbs. Wild bobbers very rarely get that large. They usually max out around 40 lbs, and even that's pretty big.

Captive cats seem to be bigger than the wild ones. I guess we feed them enough. Mine are southerns, and are still around 35 lbs.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:48 pm

The northern bobcats mostly are in Canada and Alaska, and Siberian regions. In the U.S. the Southern bob is most prevalent. Although there are a few breeders of Northerns. Yes, you most likely will never see a Northern in the wild. Some say that the Canadian Lynx bred with the bobcat to create the Northern bob. The information on Northerns is quite limited so it is hard to say for sure.

Northerns have larger paws than the southerns, and much higher ear tipping, and their beard is more prominent. And these are all characteristics of the Canadian Lynx also. So I guess it is plausible that they could have interbred to create the Northern bobcat. Trust me, they do exist though. lol. John has 5 of them, and I have one.

The breeder that Aiya and my benji and a couple of John's bobs came from has or had one that was near 70 pounds. And I'm pretty sure Aiya is on his way there. He's a giant boy. I couldn't believe how big he was the last time I visited. I wasn't sure he would remember me, but I am sure he does.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:34 pm

John, those, are some great looking cats. They are all, well, HUGE! My 11lbs, of Savannah, has destroyed a lot of my home. By that, I mean, breaking household items. Dare I ask, how destructive, are the Bobcats? Again, lovely, photo's :mrgreen: .

amyers

Postby amyers » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:52 pm

I agree it sounds like northerns are/started out as hybrids. There is no official data on bobcats getting that far north at all, let alone reaching giant proportions once they got there, but there are stories of bobcats and Canada lynx interbreeding in the wild.

*Pure speculation ahead*
You could be looking at something similar to what is seen in ligers, where the "size limiting gene" isn't passed on to the offspring, which would produce offspring much larger than either of the parents, since Canada lynx don't get that big in the wild either.

Sounds like I found my next research project.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:55 pm

amyers wrote:*Pure speculation ahead*
You could be looking at something similar to what is seen in ligers, where the "size limiting gene" isn't passed on to the offspring, which would produce offspring much larger than either of the parents, since Canada lynx don't get that big in the wild either.

Sounds like I found my next research project.

Oooooh, nice theory!! :mrgreen:
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:32 pm

That is the subject I have been engulfed in for years Ameyers. Here is an interesting study of bobcat/lynx hybridization. http://www.rmrs.nau.edu/wildlife/geneti ... 3%2003.pdf
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:39 pm

and another one from Messybeast. http://www.messybeast.com/genetics/hyb-lynx-bobcat.htm

There have been many studies done and they all conclude that they do breed together. But I have not been able to find any data on size. Only characteristics like the higher ear tips, and larger feet...
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:45 pm

Has there been any difference in temperament noticed in captive individuals? I'm think of the notorious canadian lynx "standoffishness", wondering if that's more common also in northern bobs than southerns?

I know Benji and John's guys are great, so thinking against this theory, but interesting concept nonetheless.
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:31 pm

I'm sorry I changed the subject here John. :red-face:

Vingirl, I was told by several people before I got my first bob that the northerns were much larger but more well tempered than the southerns. I don't know if that is true or not. We had a couple people on our old site that had southerns, and theirs were just fine in captivity. There are a few owners of southerns around me and their act just like mine and John's do. But those are the only southerns I have had any experience with. Bobcats do have an attitude though. One minute they are all lovey dovey and the next..................You better look out. lol. Seriously though that is just how they are. The lady I got my first bob from also breeds Canadians, and as of now she is phasing that part of her breeding out because she says they are having a lot of problems with their temperament. On the other hand we had an owner of a canadian on our other site that lives in Washington and her canadian was awesome and had a great temperament.
Ciaobella

Postby Ciaobella » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Gorgeous cats!
Was Cierpke, lost password xD
Amberthebobcat

Postby Amberthebobcat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:18 pm

LOL I would probably keep all of Nakoma's kittens :lol: That's ok George. The subject here is bobbers and I love talking about them :icon-wink:
In the cougar's den with 4 domestic cats, 5 bobcats and 1 loving cougar :-)

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”