https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Would you neuter? (sand cat)

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Stripes

Would you neuter? (sand cat)

Postby Stripes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi everybody,
Trev has shown no interest in breeding with either of my 2 female cats and I think if it was going to happen it probably would have by now. I'm moving soon and I'm unsure of what would be the best arrangement for him, as I love having him in the house and obviously with outdoor enclosures I have to be very careful as he could get cold (even though he has a heat lamp) and obviously moisture isn't good for sand cats and in England it rains almost all the time, also I worry when he is outdoors incase of theft. It also isn't that practical to keep him outdoors as I think he needs continual contact from people to stop him becoming a bit grumpy/unapproachable. However I think that keeping him indoors while entire is going to start to be a problem as he has started to spray a LOT. He still uses his litter tray, but has now started to spray around doorways and the odour is somewhat pungent to say the least.

I do have a few concerns such as the anaesthetic and also the fact that neutering may not help the problem at all (I know some cats just carry once they have started). Also this would entirely rule out any opportunity for him to be involved in a breeding program or make him redundant should a female sand cat become available to a private home and this seems like a real shame.

It's summer at the moment, so he is going into a covered outdoor enclosure that has a heated indoor area so I dont have to make a decision just yet, but he will definitely need to be back indoors before the weather starts to get cold/very wet again.

So really I am just asking for some opinions on this, and a bit of help weighing up the pros and cons.

Many thanks guys,

Beth
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Would you neuter? (sand cat)

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:22 pm

I wouldn't neuter him. I would definitely want to keep him intact just in case you ever came across an unrelated female. Sandcats are pretty rare, so it would be great if you could try to increase their numbers. That's just what I would do though. You can decide what you want to do. :icon-wink: Maybe you could consider artifical insemination for him. I don't know how easy it is to do on cats, but I think it could be great if you produce hybrids.

I don't think neutering will stop the spraying. It seems that it doesn't seem to make any difference with other exotic cats whether they're fixed or not. I'd be worried about the anesthesia too just because he's so tiny and delicate. But if you have a good vet, then there probably wouldn't be a problem.

So I think it's just up to what you want to do. I think neutering though wouldn't have too many positives.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Neutering will not stop the spraying. Im not sure that the humidity is really bad for him. Cats are very adaptable. I think keeping him warm is more important. I keep my african serval outdoors all winter with a heated house but he sits outside in the snow quite alot. They really can handle many different climates.
Also it can take exotics up to 3 years to get the swing of breeding. I wouldnt give up yet.
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:36 am

Hi Ash and Lasergrl,
Thanks for the replies.
I have googled about artificial insemination in cats and from what I have read it is very expensive and it is not likely the male cat will be able to reproduce naturally after it has been done (at least one article I read said that). If anybody knows more about this then I'd be grateful for more information.

I have read that respiratory problems are common in sand cats and I'm worried that him being exposed to high humidity could trigger a disease or an illness.

If having him neutered will not stop his spraying then I won't be getting it done. It was the only real reason for me considering it.

Thanks lasergrl I didn't realise they could take that long to get the idea about breeding.

Thans again :)
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:55 am

Oh, one more quick question.
I'm putting the finishing touches to the outdoor run at the house I'm moving to, and was wondering what type of sand you thought would be best? I thought play sand might work well but its rather pricey and it is quite a big area to cover. (trying to save money at the moment due to the move!)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Decomposed granite is good as it tends to help with odors. I've heard anyway but it may also be expensive there.

Even when neutered young exotic cats still spray. It's just what exotic cats do.
Delight

Postby Delight » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:52 pm

i agree with the others neutering will not stop the marking as that is just something you learn to accomodate if you want to have an exotic cat in the house with you, female exotic cats do it as well. My geoffroys cat doesn't hesitate to mark ME even if she's indoors for too long and the marking is worse when she's in heat. Also if I remember correctly your sandcat is only a couple years old - he may just not have come into full maturity yet. It is always tricky when trying to cross-breed cats as well, some will do it and some won't. I know in geoffroys cats there are certain bloodlines which are more likely to cross breed domestics than others, as domestics smell different than exotics when they go into heat and cats are very scent driven when mating. Since there are not a lot of sandcats mating in captivity other than in zoos and such there's not tons of information out there on what age they typically become sexually active. Most exotic cats mature slower than domestics as far as mating goes, especially in captivity. I would not give up hope just yet and even if he doesn't mate with your domestic girls I would not get him neutered in hopes that you will eventually find a female sandcat for him.
laralovesfoxes

Postby laralovesfoxes » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:12 pm

Are Sand Cats ever available in the US??? I just discovered these little cuties. My mother used to breed Bengals and we had an Asian Leopard cat growing up. I can't believe Sand Cats are so small, oh my goodness! :eleph:
Mrs. degrees are useless!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:19 pm

I had a sandcat for a while. I had her imported from Czech republic. She had a genetic autoimmune problem and died. Likely from a tight genepool.

She was bigger then my Geoffroys cat is, the geoff is actually much smaller. Shes more fun too to be honest.

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”