ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Wildcat

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

kermisracer

Wildcat

Postby kermisracer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Wildcats are super furtive in the wild, but this one at the Wisentgehege in Springe didn't even bother to wake from her nap. Felis silvestris is one of my favorite animals. They were hunted to near extinction in the 20th century but are making a pretty good comeback in Germany's hilly forests. Notwithstanding hunting bans, habitat fragmentation and road kills are making life difficult for them. They require mature old-growth woodlands to survive, and the country's monocultural timber forests are hardly ideal.

They look like a shaggier, unkempt version of domestic cats. They strike me as less social than felis chaus, or at any rate mentally less flexible or adaptable somehow. That probably doesn't help their survival, either.

Wildkatze ♀ by christianhunold, on Flickr
the_unstable

Re: Wildcat

Postby the_unstable » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:37 am

Beautiful. I love your photos. I'm assuming this little guy was in captivity, right?
kermisracer

Postby kermisracer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:15 am

That's what I said: Wisentgehege, Springe. The only practical way you'd be able to film or photograph a wildcat in the wild (other than brief accidental encounters) would be to release a human-raised cat and hope she'd continue to tolerate your presence after being released. Mike Tomkies did that in Scotland in the 1970s.

Other small cats, for example, the African wildcat silvestris lybica or the twice-as-large felis chaus are regularly seen and photographed in the wild. It's not an accident, I think, that these cats do better in captivity, as they appear naturally more willing to seek out human settlements (like fox or raccoon, say.)
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Sorry, I had read over it quickly then looked up stuff about the species and forgot you had said where it was located. However, I wasn't aware of what "Wisentgehege in Springe" is so that's partly why I didn't realize it was in captivity.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:03 am

Great picture(: I love wild cats, especially the African wild cat since it's the direct ancestor of the "domestic wild cats" we today xD
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”