Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Infected turkey toe/toenail

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kagney

Infected turkey toe/toenail

Postby Kagney » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:42 pm

A few weeks ago my 6 month old turkey hen Moe ripped off a toenail.
At the time, it was hard to tell if she had actually ripped it off, or just broken it off really close to the quick.
We weren't really sure what to do, so we just cleaned it and put some styptic powder on there, thinking that a bandage would just invite infection.
Well, its been a few weeks, and the wound is closed, but she's still noticeably favoring that foot and holding it up a lot. Its also warm to the touch.
I've put in a call to my vets office, but haven't heard back yet.
Anyone have experience with injuries in poultry?
What type of antibiotic is recommended for this sort of thing? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help, its really appreciated.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Infected turkey toe/toenail

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Only have had this in mammals. Normally it heals fine without issue but sometimes it can get infected like that. If your vet has experience with poultry they should know what to give. I did proactively give Aurora antibiotics when she broke her big claw short since they dip their claws in their food. With Pua's toe nail that pulled off I didn't and it''s healed fine but taken a long time. She now has a clear nail growing out of her scab after a few months of just having a scab over her quick bone.

Sometimes nails can come off for other reasons like a tumor in the toe or an auto immune issue, but I wouldn't jump right to those conclusions as they are least likely. If it continues after a round of antibiotics though a biopsy could be done.

It could also be that it's just staying sore and inflamed because with the missing nail it is getting roughed up during use since it has no protection. You may want to keep her confined with plenty of soft clean shavings for a month or two to let it heal up some.
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks for the reply TG.

The vet called me back, but offered no help unless I bring her in for an exam... :roll: big surprise there.
She was originally destined for the holiday table, but OF COURSE, I'm attached, so she's now strictly an "ornamental" turkey. But because of this, the hub really doesn't want me spending vet dollars on her.
TamanduaGirl wrote:It could also be that it's just staying sore and inflamed because with the missing nail it is getting roughed up during use since it has no protection.

I think you're right there... she was picking at it long after the initial injury, and I think she removed what was left of the nail. Its finally sealed up though, and the swelling has been minimal for some time, even though it still has some heat to it.

I made the tour of our local feed stores yesterday afternoon and sought advice at each. Apparently laws have recently changed, and not even livestock farmers can get antibiotics without an RX now. icon_confused.gif So I ended up with a bottle of thrush buster for horses, and instructions to do a salt soak before applying it.

Well, I got home an she was out and about and barely limping... lol, go figure. I'm going to keep an eye on her still, of course, and take further steps as needed.

To anyone out there that might benefit from it though... apparently having a bottle of thrush buster around for minor wounds in poultry is a good idea. The iodine disinfects, but the formula also helps dry up the wound and form a barrier of sorts. (Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, I'd just never heard/thought of it)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:46 pm

glad your turkey is making some improvement.

farm stores use to sell powder antibiotics that can be mixed with water. not sure if they still sell it.
worse case, maybe you can find it online.
if you have a TSC near you, they should sell the powder antibiotics
I have used it for some of my poultry. in fact, I think for one of my turkeys in the past.

actually, I love turkeys, some can actually make good pets. I don't have any now, but would love to get a couple in the near future.
home raised turkeys are really good. I use to have some that weighed about 35lbs dressed.. they were so big, I had to cut the legs so it would fit in my roaster. best turkey I ever had.

oh heck, now I want some turkeys :lol:

thank you for sharing your experience.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “FOWL”