PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

my new duck

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

my new duck

Postby pat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:09 pm

I got a Muscovy female duck a few months ago. she is actually pretty. she is black. she don't have the weird beak like some do.
she is a very strange duck. she loves being in the house :roll: I let her in at night. She loves Lucy my beagle. she tries to lay on Lucy's cot,
but, Lucy barks at her. so the duck (Mable is her name) . Mable waits for Lucy to fall asleep, then sneaks up next to her :roll:

I have a large piece of cardboard with her food and water. she does stay on the cardboard (after Lucy kicks her off her cot. :lol:

when I get a chance, I will post a picture of her.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Re: my new duck

Postby Juska » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:28 am

I like ducks a lot. If I ever own a house with some property, I'd like to have a few.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Juska wrote:I like ducks a lot. If I ever own a house with some property, I'd like to have a few.

of course I like them to. I also have two peking ducks and a goose. (they live outside) I can't seem to get
Mable (my house duck to go outside :roll: )

I have a pond, which of course they love. I have a problem with a wild fox, I think killed one of my pekin ducks.
I put Donnie's litter around at the edge of the pond, so hopeful if I keep up dumping, it will keep the fox away.
as long as the ducks are in the pond, the fox won't bother them.

I have a fake alligator at the pond now. it use to move (but, it quit working) I want to find another one, and maybe a couple fake owls? :shrug:

I have pictures of Mable (my duck) sleeping with Lucy and even one of my cats :roll: will try and post later.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:49 pm

She sounds super cute! I had a couple chickens that had to come inside (when the weather was cold (for mom's and babies) or they were injured or sick) and I always liked it. Chickens and ducks make great pets.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:10 am

GitaBooks wrote:She sounds super cute! I had a couple chickens that had to come inside (when the weather was cold (for mom's and babies) or they were injured or sick) and I always liked it. Chickens and ducks make great pets.

where did you keep your chickens when they come in the house? I have chickens too, but also have an outdoor house for them filled with straw to keep them warm. I did have a rooster come in one time (through the doggie door) I found him napping in the cats litter box :roll:

I too have always liked chickens, ducks, geese. well I love all animals.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:26 pm

My momma hen would stay with her babies in the basement (she decided to go broody during the winter). Her disabled daughter also lived most of her life down there. I had a number of chicks, including a few disabled ones, that lived in my bedroom to get the care they needed. They really liked to try to eat the incubator and loved the little logs I gave them to perch on.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:44 pm

If you really want a house pet chicken or duck, they sell chicken and duck diapers now :D I was actually thinking about getting a small chicken for a pet before I decided to go for my dream of a fennec while I still could.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon May 27, 2019 1:08 pm

If you really want a house pet chicken or duck, they sell chicken and duck diapers now :D I was actually thinking about getting a small chicken for a pet before I decided to go for my dream of a fennec while I still could.

she don't stay in the house all the time. I let her out during the day. but, I usually put her in the front pen. (my two pekin ducks gang bang her :roll:
she won't go in the pond.

she comes in late afternoon or for the night. she has a large peace of cardboard on the floor for her. along with a little homemade bed. she loves bubble wrap. I put that in her bed. she does stay on the cardboard. once in a while I let her roam in the house. she is strange. she eats the dog food (chicken :roll: ) I feed her scratch and cat food.

she does have a rooster friend that waits outside by the door for her.

I got a couple of pictures of her. but, I am having a hard adjusting size. (it's a new program and horrible)
when I get the program working right, will post a picture of her.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:06 am

sadly, my duck (Mable her name) died yesterday icon-sad
I bought her at an auction a while ago. I really did not know her age.

before she died, I noticed her one eye was sealed shut. I wiped it with a warm cloth to try and get it open. but did not work.
after she died, that eye was open.

she was such a pretty duck and so friendly. I miss her. will try and get a picture later.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:18 am

I'm so sorry, that's always so hard.
I remember when I would loose my chickens, sometimes it was just so fast
She had a wonderful life and was very loved.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:00 pm

thank you GitaBrooks.

you are like me, it doesn't matter what animal we lose, we still get upset.
I had some chickens killed by a wild fox. that fox is so bold, he actually made eye contact with me :roll:
he is still here, but, very hard to catch. I really don't want to use a leg. I know it was not the fox that killed my duck though.
she stayed in the house or on the front porch once in awhile. I found it strange she stayed in the living room that night she died.
she use to stay in my computer room with me. she had a little bed and a large piece of cardboard she stayed on.

she loved Lucy (my beagle) many times, my duck would stand at Lucy's doggie bed and stare at her.
mable (my duck) would try and go up there with Lucy. but, Lucy did not want her there. however, mable would wait till Lucy falls asleep and sneak up on her doggie bed.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:56 pm

Aww, that's so sweet. I've heard about ducks getting along with other animals. My chickens were never that sweet, they tended to be bullies, but they were okay with cats and goats.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:55 am

guess animals can be like people, animals personality can be different. Lucy is pretty easy going. Leo gets along with everyone.
I think I got a picture of Mable and Lucy laying on the doggy cot. when I get time, I will try and post it.

I agree with you, any animal that dies is upsetting. right now, I have a rooster that is sick. he is laying in the hallway by the door.
I tried giving him antibiotics, seemed to help a little. but, he is back to looking pretty bad. I think he is just old.
I would rather kill an animal vs seeing it dying. I personally could never do it. I asked Gary to shoot him, but, he won't.

I am going to bring the rooster in a large cage on the porch. I don't know what else to do.

any ideas what I should do?

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Usually, once our chickens got sick there was nothing we could do (though we tried). There are a few cases were something can be done to help, such as if it is sour crop or a "cold". If it is because they are old the best thing you can do is give them a warm, comfortable, quiet place where they feel safe.
If you think the antibiotics are helping, I would keep giving it to him. I'm not sure of doses or kinds, but there is good information out there on the internet. The wrong dose can just make things worse (when we gave antibiotics it never seemed to help, but I think it was the wrong dose or kind).

Hoping for the best!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:54 pm

I put him in a large dog crate on the front porch. put some food and water for him.
I did give him some of one of my fox'es antibotics. it is liquid. I used an eye dropper and squirted a little in his mouth.

I agree with you, there is only so much we can do as they get old. I can't even remember how long ago I got him.
I am guessing 8-10 years ago. guess for now, I will wait and see how he is. he is eating a little though. guess that is good.
I doubt he will return to normal. If his age is not a factor, then I have no idea what could be wrong.

thank you for your support.

Return to “FOWL”