ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Guineas

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Guineas

Postby pat » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:52 am

Trefoil wrote:Add muscovies to your plan and you'll get rid of flies and mosquitoes as well.

I didn't know that. I use to have muscovies, had her for a long time. then something got her and her last baby :cry:
I remember them being excellent sitters. mine hatched geese, chickens and of course more ducks.

I think I am going to get a couple more... thanks for that info
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:35 pm

I jokingly tried to convince my parents that we should keep ducks and guineas in the backyard, so that we could keep ticks and grubs down, as well as have nice eggs and meat
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:53 am

veralidaine wrote:I jokingly tried to convince my parents that we should keep ducks and guineas in the backyard, so that we could keep ticks and grubs down, as well as have nice eggs and meat

if you don't have a pond or water source for ducks, they can get quite messy.

chickens also help with ticks and bugs. I just got some in the spring. I get fresh eggs everyday.
I forget what kind they are, but, I have two big aggressive roosters that seem to protect the hens.
which is a good thing. but, I do keep have the chickens in a pretty big pen.

for meat, I think the chickens take too long to butcher for the amount of meat.
I use to raise turkeys. now, they were worth the meat. my turkeys got pretty big, most
were 35lbs at cooking time. they were so big, I had to cut the legs off to fit them in roasting pan. :lol:
(also had a couple for pets too)

so, did you convince your parents they need ducks and guineas?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:01 pm

If you are willing to eat chicken that has been skinned instead of plucked then it is more worth it. It's all that plucking that makes it a pain.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:22 pm

No, haha. Mostly because I'd be the one taking care of them and I don't know how much longer I'll be staying here. It will probably depend on where I get a job but I probably won't be able to end up taking any fowl with me and my parents aren't willing to take care of them. Which I totally get. I can't wait until I have my own land.

Return to “FOWL”