PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Found a duck...it's maybe in shock?

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FoxFur

Found a duck...it's maybe in shock?

Postby FoxFur » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Driving to the post office this afternoon (around 12:30pm) I saw a hen mallard sitting by the side of the road. She didn't appear distressed so I didn't think much of it. The post office is right nearby our home so I wasn't even too surprised when I saw her still there on my way back.
However, I became concerned when I went back out for a bike ride around 4pm, and the duck was STILL there in the exact same spot!

I went over to look at her, and she did not make any move except to turn her head towards me. She was only about three feet off the pavement so I wondered if maybe she'd been clipped by a car. But she did not appear outwardly injured, and her wings looked in good shape. I gave her a gentle prod with my toe and she stood up slowly and walked a few feet away, then sat back down again. I noticed she was breathing hard, too. VERY carefully, I picked her up and moved her far off the road under a shady spot of some bushes. I'll check tomorrow and see if she's still there.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong with her? I was wondering if she may be in shock for some reason, as she did not even flap, kick or protest in any way when I picked her up to move her. Definitely not normal for a wild duck. I feel so sorry for the poor thing! I am thinking if she's still in the same condition tomorrow, I might just put her out of her misery.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Found a duck...it's maybe in shock?

Postby pat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:17 pm

I have raised ducks for many years, and honestly, never had one act like that.
maybe she is injured, or has a nest nearby. wonder if it could have been a tame duck that got away,
or someone dropped it off :shrug:

also, she could have babies nearby, but, I would think she would be with them.

hard to say what the problem is.

let me know how she is tomorrow.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
FoxFur

Re: Found a duck...it's maybe in shock?

Postby FoxFur » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:48 pm

There are a whole flock of wild mallards that hang around this area since there is a lake nearby. They never let anyone touch them and behave like typical wild ducks. So it was definitely unusual for this one's behavior. If it turns out she's not alive when I go back tomorrow, (or if I have to just euthanize her, myself) I'll dissect her and see if perhaps she was injured internally somehow. I am a taxidermist by trade so have seen pretty much every kind of injury a critter can get, unfortunately.

But, I do hope she'll recover naturally with a bit of rest, though! At least she'll be a safe enough distance from the traffic for the night.

Return to “FOWL”