PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Pet Ducks

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

just_curious

Pet Ducks

Postby just_curious » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:08 pm

So I'm thinking about a pet duck. If I wanna sell my parents on the idea of having a duck, I need alot of pros and few cons on owning one.
1: What duck breed has the shortest life span?
2: Can I use duck diapers for young ones?
3: When do I put them in their pen?
4: Can I find a pre-made duck enclousure or do I have to make it myself?
5: If I do need to make an enclousure, whats the best way to do so? What's the strongest material but still cost efficient?
6: Will my dog hurt it? Will they get along? We have a hamster at the moment and if I even come near her (dog) she freaks out, so I'm not too worried she'll hurt a duck.
7: I do not have a pond, will a kitty pool suffice?
8: When is a good time to put them in their pen? When is it a good time to leave them alone in there at night?
9: What should I feed them? I'm guessing lettuce, tomatos etc. perhaps mealworms (frozen) but do I have to feed them live worms?
10: What about vet costs? Do they need a vet, unless it's an emergancy? Do they need a vet for anything else?
11: Does it matter about sex? I understand ducks need a friend (or is there a duck breed that does fine alone?) if I get two boys will they fight? Or two girls?

That's all I can think of right now and I'll be doing lots more research. Thanks to anyone who replys!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pet Ducks

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:24 pm

What I now about house pet ducks https://www.facebook.com/iamhowietheduc ... &ref=br_tf

But looks like you're planning outside once bigger. That's better but they are flock animals so if going to be away from you a lot like that then you need to have at least 2.

Kiddie-pools work fine but they get dirty supper fast. You will need to change it daily at least but maybe more. They need a bowl of water with their food plus a bowl for actually drinking or you could wet the food down first. We had chickens and ducks together at the PZ farm.

Chicken feed is fine but adding all those other things you mention will be great for them.

You could buy a chickencoop/pen but making one will be cheaper so you can go larger for less.

We had a mix of genders of ducks and they did fine but boys can sometimes be over zealous in breeding females. We didn't have a problem with the call ducks but I've seen it a lot in malards when in large groups.

They don't get shots and things that I am aware of. It's not a bad idea to have annual check ups, though not required, so the vet can note any changes and maybe catch something early.
just_curious

Postby just_curious » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:50 pm

Sorry, I don't use facebook so I cannot view the link.
If I have a pond for ducks, can it also inhabit small fish? Not like koi or anything, plus owning koi or goldfish in a small pond isn't the best idea. I know ducks eat snails so I can't use them to clean the algae or other plant life.
Another thing, you have call ducks? Can't they fly or do you clip their wings? And what about reproducing? A duck's life span is 10 to 20 years usally (depending on species) do you just have a bunch of the same sex or did you get them all spade/neutered? I think a cayuga duck can produce around 100 -150 eggs so if it's the same for other species sounds like you got alot of babies to feed, and it'd get overwhelming. Unless you kill and eat them..
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:36 pm

I don't have any now but we had call ducks at the farm I used to live and work at + travel with for events. We didn't clip their wings and they stayed at the pens at the events except when we did an event by the river then they would sometimes fly off to the river to converse with the mallards but would come back. On the farm the pen was enclosed so no one could get out but over all it seemed like they were not incline to fly off any way. I'd never even seen one of them fly till the river. First time I was shocked "They just flew away!" "They'll come back. They just went to see the wild ducks. They do that every year" LOL.

They are tiny though so easy to loose to a predator, even hawks so you want their pen enclosed with a top of some kind.

Most snails tend to be prolific so I don't think trying a few in the pond would be an issue but don't buy any expensive snails. Fish should be okay too. But yeah maybe not anything too big. There were huge coy/carp in this park pond I used to live by. I think big enough to eat some duckings but not sure if they did. They would come and eat when you threw food to the ducks though and sometimes goose the ducks to get them to move.

No reason to fix them you just gather the eggs, you can eat them just like chicken eggs. Some people think they are a bit tougher but I liked them just fine scrambled. Or you can dispose of them or give them to other pets or even feed them back to the ducks once broken up. Most of the eggs wont be fertile anyway. Even if you have all girls they will still lay eggs. A bird passing an egg is kind of like a human having their period, unless it is fertilized but even then it would need to incubate awhile to have any signs of life. But if you don't feel right destroying the eggs or even just tossing them then you can get males but you're not really taking a life by eating an egg. If you don't use or dispose of the eggs you will just have a bunch of rotten eggs laying around.
just_curious

Postby just_curious » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Soo, do you check to see if the eggs are fertile the same way you would check a chicken egg, under a light? Or if they are fertile, can I eat them without a small embryo coming out as long as I don't put it in an incubator?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:32 pm

Yeah you wont ever see an embryo even if fertile long as you collect them right away and stick them in the fridge. The worst I've seen, and it was only with chicken eggs but could happen with duck too, is finding a bit of blood inside but it's really rare and can happen even with infertile ones. just toss those out, something went wrong in the egg forming process.

But you can't check for fertility of an egg unless it has been incubated a few days. you will not see any difference in fertile and non-fertil eggs if you gather them daily(though a duck normally wont actually lay daily but anytime they are laid). If it's fertile and been incubated a few days then you can candle it to see veins inside and can know it's fertile and if no veins isn't fertile. However it doesn't sound wise to me to eat an egg after letting it incubate a few days.

I found this witch has photos and goes into more detail but basically says the same thing.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/0 ... -eggs.html

Return to “FOWL”