Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

my female peacock.

Postby pat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Yesterday, I found she hatched 3 baby chickens :shock:
she had nests in the past, but, obviously could not have babies, due to there is not male.

yesterday, a friend of mine was weed whacking near my shed. must of scared her out where she was.
she was sitting on chicken eggs (which I didn't know). then I see her walking around the yard with one of the baby chicks.
two were left behind, not sure why, maybe they didn't follow her fast enough.

when I first seen the baby, my very first thought was "how in the hell did she hatch one of her eggs"
my peacock takes care of the baby chick. the baby went close to the bear pen, the peacock showed aggression to sybil :shock:

Now I have the two babies and am hoping to find the peacock to give her the 2 babies. (don't have time to deal with them)
when the peacock hides, she does a hell of a good job. I know she is on the property, I just don't know where.

long time ago, I had a duck hatch chicken eggs, the duck protected those babies. I hope the peacock will continue to care for the baby chicken.

anyone ever had this happen with a peacock?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
naja-naja

Re: my female peacock.

Postby naja-naja » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:15 pm

I think you mean peahen lol. That's really cool she protects the chicks like that! I wonder will it continue into adulthood will they stay in a flock?
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:15 pm

:red-face: meant peahen. guess I refer to male/female as a "peacock" :red-face:
not real familiar with peacocks. only had her for a few years.

I have about 20 chickens. most are in a pen, but, some keep getting out and roaming the property.
laying eggs out there too.

I hope she protects the baby. I think she will. she is always looking for someone to buddy up to.
so, maybe this chick will be her buddy.

I am anxious to see if she sticks with the baby. guess time will tell.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:30 am

That's adorable! :mrgreen: It would be really cool if she did raise them all, and then maybe they'd follow her all around. :) Cute!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:28 am

I have a turkey that will sit on chicken eggs. This year she shared a nest and the chicks with a hen. The hens had two mom's but all the chicks got "popped" because the moms were dumb and took the chicks by the horses. They would get stepped on and they popped. Gross.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:08 am

Ash,

she is pretty aggressive and protective, so maybe she will be OK with them.
she came out yesterday morning with her baby to eat. I took the opportunity and gave her the other two chicks.
so all 3 are now with her.

LG,
yike, that would of been horrible for the babies icon-sad
guess it is true "birds of feathers flock together"

where I use to live, I had a creek in the back of my house. had a goose that took in about 6 baby chicks,
when the goose and the other ducks went into the creek, the babies following them,they would jump from rock to rock so they wouldn't get wet.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:47 pm

my peahen lost her 3 babies icon-sad
1st one drowned in the water.
2nd one, I think the donkeys tramped on it
3rd one, I have no idea. it was really weird. she was in he chicken pen(she can fly in and out)
the baby follows her, even seen the baby riding on her back. when I checked on her the other day and the baby,
all seemed good. then about about 1/2 hour later, I heard my peahen carrying on, she was calling her baby.
it just disappeared. my poor peahen called out for her and looked for her since. icon-sad

I was thinking of finding her a couple babies somewhere. thought of a couple peachicks, but, I am sure they are not cheap.
then thought maybe a couple turkeys, but, don't know what babies are available this time of year. maybe she will find another chicken nest. the chickens that are laying good stay in the Sybil's (bear)enclosure a lot by choice. my peahen don't go in there. sybil don't hurt the chickens, she will even share her food with them..

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:39 pm

I'm sorry about your chicks. Likely she treated them like Peachicks instead of chickens. My chickens have lost chicks to drowning and trampling as well, even though they do their best.
In one case my hen, Eagle, hatched out three chicks but another mother hen, Beauty, killed them all. Eagle would run to me, asking me to give them back to her, but I couldn't. It was really sad. Bad Beauty!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:01 pm

curious, what does a peahen do differently than a chicken would when raising their babies?
I should have kept them more confined :shrug: however, it not that I wanted more chickens,
it made corey(peahen) happy to have some babies.

:shock: you mean another chicken hen killed the baby chicks? I never experience that one.
In my case, I don't think another hen or rooster killed the baby. there was no body at all.
how did the other hen kill the babies?

I wonder if the baby chick somehow got into the fox pen. but, when I seen the two of them, they were in the chicken pen.
the baby was able to walk thru the fence though. but, the baby would not stray far from corey.
maybe about half hour is when she lost the chick. corey was in a different direction from the fox pen.
I thought maybe a hawk. but, the way the tree's are it would make it difficult for a hawk to swoop down. :shrug:
this happened in the morning, so I don't know what could have killed it. my dogs or cats have never bothered any chickens or chicks. in fact the day I seen corey with her first baby, the baby strayed close to the bear pen, sybil was on the other side where the chick was, I was shocked to see corey's aggression toward sybil :shock: sybil didn't care, but, corey did not want her baby anywhere near sybil. geez, I would think if she was able to protect her chick from a bear, she could conquer any animal :lol:

thank you for sharing your info, I found it very interesting....

naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:25 pm

pat wrote:my peahen lost her 3 babies icon-sad
1st one drowned in the water.
2nd one, I think the donkeys tramped on it
3rd one, I have no idea. it was really weird. she was in he chicken pen(she can fly in and out)
the baby follows her, even seen the baby riding on her back. when I checked on her the other day and the baby,
all seemed good. then about about 1/2 hour later, I heard my peahen carrying on, she was calling her baby.
it just disappeared. my poor peahen called out for her and looked for her since. icon-sad

I was thinking of finding her a couple babies somewhere. thought of a couple peachicks, but, I am sure they are not cheap.
then thought maybe a couple turkeys, but, don't know what babies are available this time of year. maybe she will find another chicken nest. the chickens that are laying good stay in the Sybil's (bear)enclosure a lot by choice. my peahen don't go in there. sybil don't hurt the chickens, she will even share her food with them..

baby peafowl for about $25, i'm sure you can buy eggs cheaper if she'll sit on them.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:28 pm

you can get 6 eggs for $87 shipped ($14.50 each) from this crowd http://www.peafowl.com/EggSale.html
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:56 pm

thank you for that info naja-naja. the site for eggs was only till august.
I really didn't want to spend much money especially if she might not sit on them or they don't hatch.

I am not sure what time of year peachicks hatch. I would think more in the early year :shrug:

there is an auction that usually has peahens,peacocks and I think peachicks along with other type birds. I have not been there for quite awhile. I was thinking of going soon to see what they have. it is about an hour drive. all I need now is the time to go.

thank you again, much appreciate the info.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:16 pm

pat wrote:curious, what does a peahen do differently than a chicken would when raising their babies?
I should have kept them more confined :shrug: however, it not that I wanted more chickens,
it made corey(peahen) happy to have some babies.

:shock: you mean another chicken hen killed the baby chicks? I never experience that one.
In my case, I don't think another hen or rooster killed the baby. there was no body at all.
how did the other hen kill the babies?

I wonder if the baby chick somehow got into the fox pen. but, when I seen the two of them, they were in the chicken pen.
the baby was able to walk thru the fence though. but, the baby would not stray far from corey.
maybe about half hour is when she lost the chick. corey was in a different direction from the fox pen.
I thought maybe a hawk. but, the way the tree's are it would make it difficult for a hawk to swoop down. :shrug:
this happened in the morning, so I don't know what could have killed it. my dogs or cats have never bothered any chickens or chicks. in fact the day I seen corey with her first baby, the baby strayed close to the bear pen, sybil was on the other side where the chick was, I was shocked to see corey's aggression toward sybil :shock: sybil didn't care, but, corey did not want her baby anywhere near sybil. geez, I would think if she was able to protect her chick from a bear, she could conquer any animal :lol:

thank you for sharing your info, I found it very interesting....

Sorry it took so long to respond, sometimes I have trouble finding the messages I posted. :mrgreen:

Beauty, the hen that killed the other hen's chicks, would just tear off a patch of their skin and they would die a day or so later, probably from shock or something like that. We tried putting medication on them, keeping them safe and warm in our house, and offering them food and water, but nothing helped.

We're all getting ready for the winter here, but my silly silkie decided to go broody and hatched out two chicks. Thankfully, they are growing fast enough that they'll have feathers before the snow comes. However, I'm sure they'll appreciate it when we set the heat-lights up. : )
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:24 pm

They are really susceptible to infection so any wound needs to be treated with systemic antibiotics or you have a high risk of loosing them.

Return to “FOWL”