PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Chicks hatching!

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

GitaBooks

Chicks hatching!

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:45 pm

Finally, its day 21 and my eggs in the incubator are hatching. I can hear one of the chicks cheeping as it pushes through the shell. It is so amazing to see a little new life come into the world.

I recently had acquired 8 Orloff eggs (a breed of chicken that originated in Russia) off of Ebay. However, the pressure changes during shipping makes it very difficult to hatch shipped eggs, and though all of them were fertile, none of them hatched. So I set some of my own eggs (8 bantams) and 4 of them are alive and doing great. Upon candling, you can see them kicking their little feet and hear them talking. When they were younger you could even see their heart beating.

I'm actually using a reptile incubator to hatch them, because we were planning on getting some snake eggs from our two snakes, but Jill didn't end up laying any (we aren't sure if Jill is really a girl). However, the incubator still gets high enough for chicken eggs. I have it at 102 F, usually too high for chickens, but this incubator seems to be slightly off calibration. The humidity is at 60%.

I can't wait to see what colors hatch out of those eggs. This will be my first real, successful incubator hatch (I've used broody hens before, but none were up to it at this time). After I get the hang of this, I hope to move on to more difficult species such as Peafowl, Ostriches, Emus, Pheasants, Quail and Swans. : )
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chicks hatching!

Postby pat » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:57 am

What a great experience.. Did you get any pictures or videos?
Even more exciting to see what color and marking babies will have.

Never heard of these type of chickens, hope to see pictures when you get a chance.

also a great experience to be able to see them kicking and to hear them.

I still find it fascinating how an egg turns into a baby. but, that is nature.

congratulations on your new additions.

The ratite eggs are hard to hatch. it requires a large incubator.
I use to have rheas that laid eggs. the shell is amazingly thick.
the male hatched a couple,but, none survived.
The left over eggs I gave to my bears (thinking it was still yoke) yike, it was a dead baby rhea.
they ate it though.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:15 pm

Here they are. Two hatched and two more to go. Little Dude is the first, he's a bantam breed that I am creating that I call Dalmatians. They grow up to be white with black spots. The other is a Silver Duckwing Old English Game mix, with feathered feet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:13 pm

ahh, so darn cute. (well, more so when they dry off :lol: )
hope to see your little ones as they grow.
feathered feet are unique. I use to have some long time ago.
never heard of the breed you got. but, sure sounds different.

I just have the standard size chickens. want them for their eggs.

my peahen hatched 3 chicks. unfortunately, 2 died. one drown, the other not sure, but, I think one of my donkeys stepped on it. icon-sad

thank you for the pictures. I really did enjoy them. I love chickens. (mostly the hens though)
some roosters get pretty mean. I have one now that has to go. he attacks me :roll:

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:04 am

Thanks!

The two others still in the incubator are showing signs of hatching this evening, and the two hatched chicks are cheeping away in my room. They are messy little things, but I can't find a way to keep them warm and safe out in the shed, because the older chicks would probably attack them.

Yeah, I've had some pretty aggressive roosters before. My rooster I have right now is very sweet, however, and he respects me and his hens. He's my dominant rooster, but I have a few others under him.

I'm sorry about the peachicks you lost. I hear they are pretty delicate. I'm planning on getting some next year, any advise on how to care for them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:25 pm

that sounds so exciting with the eggs getting ready to hatch.
be neat if you could video them as they hatch.

your first picture looks like a rhode island red? and barred rock?
that is what I have. along with some all black ones. (most of the black are roosters, I really only want the hens for eggs)

the second picture is too cute. is that a white chicken on top?

my peahen hatched chicken eggs. I only have one peahen, no peacocks.
for the last 4 or 5 years she always disappeared for awhile around early summer.
she was on the property, but couldn't find her. I believe she was sitting on a nest of unfertilized eggs.
this year, I got the roosters, that is why the chicken eggs are fertile. guess my peahen was desperate for babies :lol:

thank you for the pictures. I love them.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:13 pm

The first picture is of a Barred Rock with a Rhode Island Red cross. The second one is a cross breed bantam pullet.

I actually did video one of the chicks hatching! A third chick, Little Sis, broke free while I was watching. It was so amazing!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:08 am

thats great you got a video of the babies hatching. would love to see it.
what's your rhode island chicken mixed with?

Question: I got the barred rock and rhode island chicks in march of this year.
they finally started laying eggs, but, they are pretty small. is this normal?

I got 5 white hens last year as babies in april. by this time of year, they were laying normal size eggs.
is this the breed, or am I doing something wrong? I feed them a mix of laying mash and cracked corn.
any ideas? I thought about feeding them all laying mash, but was not sure.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:56 pm

The Rhode Island mix is called a Red Star, and I think its a mix between a Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White, though it gets complicated as all the different hatcheries do it in different ways.

Pullets will naturally lay smaller eggs when they start laying, though usually they get to normal size with-in a month. If your white hens are Leghorns, one of the most popular laying breeds in the world, then likely they began laying larger eggs because that is how there breed works.

It sounds like they are getting a good diet! : )
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:59 am

Never heard of a Red Star before.
I don't know much about all the different breeds of chickens and which breed is better for eggs.
but, I do know a little more since you told me about the eggs.

can't remember what type my white chickens are. some are mixed with a little tan color.
there is one that is all white. I got them as chicks at Tractor Supply.

Thank you for the information, much appreciate it.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:50 am

Oh wow! I'm not kidding, Little Dude is crowing! Its been like one week, he is still tiny, tiny, tiny, still in my room (oh great :roll: ), and he is crowing! It is the lamest, highest pitched crow ever (sounds like he is dying) but it is still a crow. He is in my room, at 2:00 in the morning, crowing. Yes, I am trying to adopt him and his siblings out as fast as possible.
He is the youngest bird I've ever had crow, most start around 2 months of age, sometimes much later. One week. I guess my breed I'm creating (that's what he is) are early maturing birds. I still can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. : )

Return to “FOWL”