PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Chick help

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

KaitouCat

Chick help

Postby KaitouCat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:36 am

I've been getting some fresh eggs for Koji and decided to hatch a few for fun, already having a home lined up for them and this morning the first one hatched with some complications and I'm not entirely sure what to do. It doesn't look as bad compared to some images I've seen online but I'm still concerned. They've been thrashing about as well which I suppose could be normal for a newborn animal but I've never hatched chickens before so I wouldn't know for sure..

Should I place them in a container or such with a damp or dry paper towel to keep them separated from the other eggs? During their movements they've already flipped the eggs several times but for the moment seem to have calmed down.

IMG_8917.JPG
IMG_8915.JPG
^328A2333CF19DC083C04CF15A835EE99B1B34499157018528E^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
^47A9D5F34BE5740E8E63DFBB1566572785BCBBB0FCD77DD58A^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leopard geckos 3.4 Ball pythons 1.1 Cats 1.2 Fox 1.0
The Household Geckos Tumblr
minervasden

Re: Chick help

Postby minervasden » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:06 am

Once the chicks are dry they should be moved to your brooder setup. Have the brooder already warmed.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:18 am

minervasden wrote:Once the chicks are dry they should be moved to your brooder setup. Have the brooder already warmed.

The brooder has been set up for a few days now in preperation. Also I was informed by someone else previously that it would be ok to move him a bit early, especially since I had to leave for a bit and couldn't stay on watch for if he flipped the eggs again or worse. He's in a small container in the brooder right now with enough space to move to a cooler spot if need be and has a small little nest for security and a bottlecap with some water.
The water at the bottom of the basin was sticking through the mesh im some areas anyways so he just kept getting themself wet.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:27 pm

from what I understand chicks that are first born and within 5 days, they don't need water or food until after the 5 days.
there is probably more experienced members here on chicks. I have raised a couple from birth, but that was a while ago.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:29 am

Update - They've made it through the night and have shown some interest in their water and pecked at some of the small amount of food though not sure if they ate any, likely just checking it out at this point.
[Had offered it to them before seeing the above post, going off what the other person I spoke to had said]

IMG_8949.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:17 am

The chicks should be exposed to food and water from the beginning. Some people dip the beaks in the food/water as they add them to the brooder. Others do it to the chicks which haven't started on their own before day three.

Edit: Here's a reference for you http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-just-21-days-from-egg-to-chicken
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you

Return to “FOWL”