ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

pheasant

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

pheasant

Postby pat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:12 am

I adpoted a female pheasant.
I honestly don't know much about them.
never had them.

a friend of a friend had this pheasant hanging out at his house, and would stay in one spot and kept pooping there. so this guy was going to kill her. I took her so she would not have been killed.

I have had her for a few weeks or so. she seems to know now, this is her home.

anyway, I always thought the females were all grey in color color, where the males are the colorful ones.
she is mixed with white.

any info on this pheasant will be appreciated.(food, care etc)
she will now eat with the other critters.

now, I am tempted to get a male for her. I was worried my dogs would kill her, but, they finally got use to her and don't seem to bother.

do they make any type of noises? or is it the males that make the noise?

here is a picture of her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:05 pm

she is a female pied indian blue peahen. They are technically a pheasant. I had a feeling the picture would be of a peacock because true pheasants do not have a homeing instinct and usually run away. There isnmt much special care, treat like a chicken if she is free range. The males are terribly loud :)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:54 pm

LG,

wow, never heard of that. of course, I don;'t know much about that class of birds.

is she a wild bird or a captive that some could have released?
basically, I don't think they are indigeous to pa?

so technically, she is a "peacock"?

maybe I don't want a male for her, if they are loud.
loud noises, sometimes stirs my dogs up.
they didn't like the guinea's that I had.

I also want to applaud you for all the info you have given me and the members. your knowledge on animals, just seem unlimited.

thank you much.

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:14 pm

peacocks are a domestic bird, not native to here. They are considered poultry so you have no problems having her in PA. We used to have some released white ones running around here that someone let go, but they dissapeared :(

Here is a soundlink

http://www.junglewalk.com/Asounds/peacock1.wav

Id just let her eat whatever your chickens and ducks get already, but they like a little more protein. In the summer she can find it herself but throwing her some catfood here and there wont hurt.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:09 pm

lg,

thanks for info. link did not work :cry:

I just looked at my post, and for some reason, I put "pheasant"
I meant peacock.

I guess I just have too much in my head to think straight most of the time.

guess someone must of released her :cry: I don't understand why people do that.

thanks for the tip on cat food. I will make sure she gets some cat food.

Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 am

Its just as likely that she got scared and ended up at your fiends place. If you really don't want her, then try putting a lost/found/free ad in the newspaper by your friends place. Maybe the original owner will claim her. I could be wrong but i don't think they are as loud as guineas.
Trefoil

link to pea fowl forum, hope it helps

Postby Trefoil » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:27 am

BB

Postby BB » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:36 pm

I always thought peacocks are neat - until I lived at a place where they had a few!
Very Noisy!!!! And then they had to always live on the roof, especially at night and stomp around and scream! ARGHHHH! You really want to throw something at them. But you run the risk of them shitting on you :shock: .
Some of my customers have peacocks, but their place is huge, and most of it is like a "jungle" Lots of trees, plants, gardens, so the birds live there and just wander around. They don't really come near the house, or jump on top of the roof, as they sleep in the trees.
I think the males are the noisy ones, screaming out for mates. Yours looks like a hen, so you might be right....
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 pm

Trefoil wrote:Its just as likely that she got scared and ended up at your fiends place. If you really don't want her, then try putting a lost/found/free ad in the newspaper by your friends place. Maybe the original owner will claim her. I could be wrong but i don't think they are as loud as guineas.

she was at this guys house for several months or more.
he got tired of her pooping in one spot near his house.

I don't mind keeping her. she is already use to being fed with the chickens and donkeys. so far, she has been quiet.

thank you for that MB, I will check it out.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:14 pm

BB wrote:I always thought peacocks are neat - until I lived at a place where they had a few!
Very Noisy!!!! And then they had to always live on the roof, especially at night and stomp around and scream! ARGHHHH! You really want to throw something at them. But you run the risk of them shitting on you :shock: .
Some of my customers have peacocks, but their place is huge, and most of it is like a "jungle" Lots of trees, plants, gardens, so the birds live there and just wander around. They don't really come near the house, or jump on top of the roof, as they sleep in the trees.
I think the males are the noisy ones, screaming out for mates. Yours looks like a hen, so you might be right....

she has been quiet. as LG said, it is the males that are noisy.
I almost thought about a male, until I was reminded how noisy they are.
it would be a good expeience to learn more about them, but, don't really have the time right now anyway.

I have tons of trees on my property. the female peacock seems to sleep in the barn, there are places in there for her to actually roost.

actually, I have 4 chinese geese that are very noisy, and really get on my nerves. I would love to catch them. I have a home for them, if I can catch them.

I have to assume the male peacocks are louder than geese or guiineas?
I know guineas are pretty loud.

nicoeflein

Postby nicoeflein » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:24 pm

If there is something louder than a guinea, Whoa,
the guineas never seem to stop calling. The females make that "buck -wheat" noise over and over and over again, the males make their well known alarm squawk, and then when they really get riled up, they cackle and scream . . . but they are still one of my favorites.

Even if the peacock is noisy, they are phenomenal to watch display.
ruscithil

Postby ruscithil » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Oh, but peacock and guinea fowl cannot be compared.

Peacock make a very beautiful sound. If they didn't start so early in the morning, I am quite sure few people would be bothered by them.

Guineas on the other hand... They just SCREAM as if they wanted everyone around to become deaf :mrgreen:
Really, they hurt my ears.

We used to have peacocks when I was a child. As long as the male spent the night inside the barn, it was okay with our neighbours (most of them, anyway). The problem was to get him there. He loved to escape onto the highest tree around at dusk, and it was almost impossible to get him home at night. If we didn't manage to get him inside before dusk, he usually spent the night on the tree and started calling at about 2.30 or 3 a.m.
For some reason, it was impossible to have two males around. Might have been due to the personality of the second one, though. If I remember correctly, he used to spend the night on a house in the middle of the village. My family had him for easter or something later on...

Pat: She is beautiful. Good thing you took her.
"The truth about stories is that that's all we are." - Thomas King
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Pat,

That is a pied female peacock. If you want me to give you my experience with peacocks I will PM or e-mail it to you.

I am not giving personal experience/knowledge anymore in "public". It seems to stir the pot around here.

Here are links to show what I am saying is "correct".

http://peacockgirl.tripod.com/Peafowl_Variet/Piedx.html

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Peafowl/BRKPied.html

http://bowspeafowlfarm.com/piedpeafowl.html

So some of you do NOT think I am being a "fool".

Lasergrl please no "peacock" jokes unless they are tasteful. But any good ones can be PMed or e-mailed to me :lol:.
Trefoil

Re:pea hen

Postby Trefoil » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:08 am

I see this is an old post, but I wondered if you still had the pea hen. I got a trio of them at this spring's mt. hope. The male only calls a couple of times a day, he's sorta loud, but exotic. Of course I have 30+ guineas, so obviously am not bothered by loud. And I have excellent neighbors. My banty cochin rooster has fallen in love with one of the pea hens and follows her everywhere, she gets on the roof of the house to get away from him. Its like a goat chasing an elephant around.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: pheasant

Postby pat » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:08 am

My banty cochin rooster has fallen in love with one of the pea hens

:lol: :lol: thats funny. it amazes me how some animals can like/love a different species

Yes, I still have my pea hen.
do they make different sounds? or mock noises?

she sounds like a old fashion car horn, then sometimes a cat, and some other weird noises.
couple times, I thought I heard a cat outside screeming. I ran outside to find a cat, and it was my pea hen :roll:

then many times, I hear a horn, I am thinking "who in the hell is beeping their horn in my driveway" it was my pea :roll: hen.

I was thinking of getting a male peacock, but, heard they make real loud noises.
they are beautiful. (not that it is quiet here now)

I have four geese I want to catch and get rid of. those guys get on my nerves.
they are annoyingly noisy. I have a home for them, but, just need to take the time
to trap/catch/cage them. icon_confused.gif

Return to “FOWL”