ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Need some advice on sitting and broody birds

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

nicoeflein

Need some advice on sitting and broody birds

Postby nicoeflein » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:51 pm

Hello to everyone, I am new here, but really like the site and have some questions on my dilemma. My laying hen, a White leghorn, has laid a wonderful clutch of around 30 eggs, which were fertilized by a Golden-Laced Polish rooster (cool babies, huh), but will not sit on them, being a Leghorn. I have many other birds, and am wondering if another bird, of another species, like a goose, would take the role as mom and sit on them.

I moved the clutch to the goose yard, and arranged them with all the straw and hay the geese could want, and the geese did seem interested, not sitting on the eggs, but arranging them and covering them gently with hay and leaves, and checking on them every once in a while. But still not sitting.

Any advice would be great, thanks for reading.

Nic
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:32 pm

yes they may set on them. Depending on if the geese have access t water the hatch may not be as good because of a higher then normal humidity. It may work well though. I would remove them as soon as they hatch. Actually I would just get an incubator, you wont be sorry! They have nice cheap little giant foam ones at most feed stores. Only trouble is you will have to raise the chicks in a brooder.
nicoeflein

Thanks Lasergrl

Postby nicoeflein » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:57 pm

I have an incubator, quite an old one, but I vote for the more natural approach, even if it is under a goose! I just checked on the clutch, and the geese are still covering the eggs with leaves and then leaving, is this normal goose sitting behavior, or should one of them just be sitting on the eggs? Maybe the clutch is too small, I only put about ten chicken eggs in the clutch, should I add more to simulate the clutch growing to a good size?

All advice is appreciated, thanks again.
nicoeflein

Postby nicoeflein » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:46 am

I checked on the nest, and the geese are still taking an interest in it, but they are not nesting fully, one actually sat on the nest for about ten minutes, but then she just got up and walked back to the rest of the flock. They are almost nesting, but they just won't commit to it! Any advice on this would be great. The hens will show so much interest in the clutch, but then cover the nest with leaves and straw and leave. Any advice?

Should I separate the female with the most interest in the eggs with the clutch, or would she just stress out without her family? Maybe just her and her favorite boyfriend?

Return to “FOWL”