please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Potential Turkey Chicks!

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

FOXman

Potential Turkey Chicks!

Postby FOXman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:47 pm

My female turkey, for the first time ever is actually sitting on her eggs! I don't know how many there are, and nor do I know how to find out, without stressing her out... I hope she stays setting on them, so I can have little chicks running around! Yippee! :mrgreen: I am so excited..

I will be keeping all of them. They will be a cross between a bronze and wild turkey.. The wild turkey is the female and the bronze would obviously be the male. I just can't wait to see them! This will be my first domestic bird hatching at my house... I just have a few questions:

1. How long is the period of which it takes the eggs to hatch for turkeys?
2. How many eggs are usually in a clutch or group for turkeys?
3. Will they follow their mother when hatched, like ducks?

These are the questions lingering in the air around me.. I tried to look them up, but had no luck. Thank You!

Oh, and I almost forgot!! I should also be having some ducklings at my house with my two female mallards.. Of which I will talk about in another post.
When I see my future foxie for the first time, I'll know that it was worth the wait.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Congratulations! :D

I'd say they take around 28 days to hatch...
I think the average may be about 10 eggs a clutch, but I think it can range from 8-15...
And I'm not sure if they like, follow her around everywhere, but they in general stay with her...but she may wonder a few feet away and they just stay and play with each other- but if she starts going somewhere, they'll follow.

And oh, that would be cool to have malard ducklings. :mrgreen: ...Do they have the vibrant colors when they're babies? (Sorry, that's off topic...but, I think getting off topic is normal now-a-days. ;) )
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
FOXman

Postby FOXman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:17 pm

Thanks for the info!

Mallard babies are just a chocolaty brown when they are babies.. They start to develop other colors as they age. We have two female mallards, they are bred by a wild male mallard. He is beautiful! He stays at our home ALL SPRING! They come up to our porch and eat the cat food layed out for our cats. The cats hate it!

Wow! I got waaaay of subject!!! :mrgreen:
I always love sharing about my animal stories!
When I see my future foxie for the first time, I'll know that it was worth the wait.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Ok, that's what I thought, thanks. :)
And that's cool. :D

Hah, yeah, at least the cats don't know. ;)
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
FOXman

Postby FOXman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:44 pm

Haha.. Yea, but my egg loving dog does.... :| Uh Oh... Lol
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:55 pm

Not quite what I meant, hah, but oh. O.o Well I hope he doesn't eat them then. ;) :?
FOXman

Postby FOXman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Were you talking about the mallard chicks?? Oops.. Haha!
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Uhhhh...Haha, I don't quite remember. ^^
I think I was trying to say something to the effect of the cats not knowing that they're being talked about as birds or something (even though their not...but, you [might] know what I mean. :lol: Nevermind. Hah. )
FOXman

Postby FOXman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Hehe, Ok... :D
I think they should be hatching in about 2 weeks..
If everything goes right.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Awesome. ^_^

.......For some Very odd reason that makes me want to go get icecream...I'm gonna do that... ... :lol: ...
baldwin6802

Re: Potential Turkey Chicks!

Postby baldwin6802 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:13 pm

Did they ever hatch?
- Gary
FOXman

Postby FOXman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:49 am

No, none of them hatched. I can't believe I forgot to post about it!
Ok, well, here's what happened. My dog that is a cowdog, at 3 of them. Then my male goat got rough with my female turkey and ended up smashing an egg, so she had one more egg. But it didn't even hatch??? I don't know why, it just didn't.
baldwin6802

Postby baldwin6802 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Did she still try to hatch it? Or did all the comotion scare her away? I had a pair of geese that hatched out some babies. The day they were all hatching my goat broke thru the pen to get to the hay that I left in the pen with her. He ended up kicking the eggs all over the place. Luckaly she was hatching them at the time. So she still stayed with them.

Sorry that they didnt work out this time. I hope they try again!
- Gary
FOXman

Postby FOXman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:45 pm

No, she didn't try to hatch it. I hope they try again too!

Return to “FOWL”