PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

oops (sorry, loooong post)

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Trefoil

oops (sorry, loooong post)

Postby Trefoil » Sun May 23, 2010 4:28 pm

I decided to try to hatch out some of my guinea eggs this year, and as guineas aren't too big ( or at least mine aren't) on being broody, i bought an incubator. Once it came, I got tired of waiting for my guins to start laying and decided to try runner ducks ( they're really funny looking), so I bought eggs from ebay. The lady sent me 12, 3 were broken and the rest were dirty, I've never tried hatching anything before so I wrote on the guinea forum asking if they would be all right. Everybody wrote saying they shouldn't be dirty and may not hatch, so I put the remaining eggs in the incubator just in case and ordered 6 more eggs from someone else. They sent 9 and no broken ones.
8 of the first batch hatched and 7 of the second batch , and 1 guinea egg of the 3 i snuck in hatched, all a week apart. I have one room in my house that Chloe (coon) isn't allowed in. I had to get the lone guinea company, so got her a guinea and a cochin for company, so I now have 18 babies in my computer room. They are really messy ( the ducks). But they really are cute. Does anybody want a couple of runner ducks?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun May 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Duck eggs are usually really dirty and hatch just fine that way. I just moved some 2 week old mule ducklings (half muscovy half runner) outside. Finally warm enough out. :bear stinky messy things.
Trefoil

do you have a light on them?

Postby Trefoil » Sun May 23, 2010 8:06 pm

How cold is it getting at night? I've finally got the ducks out during the day, but haven't tried at night yet. I'm afraid they'll get chilled.
BB

Postby BB » Mon May 24, 2010 1:27 am

Sorry to hijack the post but since you are talking about guinea eggs.....
I have this chicken which sits on a nest (without eggs and no rooster) for months now. I always kick her out so she gets some grass and bugs at least but yesterday I got given four guinea eggs.
I'm using my chicken to try to hatch them. How long do these eggs take to hatch? I'm not quite sure how long the g.fowl sat on them already but I just like to know it takes?
Trefoil

28 days, good luck

Postby Trefoil » Mon May 24, 2010 8:09 am

Do you know what colors they're from?
BB

Postby BB » Mon May 24, 2010 9:07 am

Are you talking about the guinea fowl? The mother has pearl black and white feathers
Trefoil

pearl, then

Postby Trefoil » Mon May 24, 2010 1:32 pm

They come in a lot of different colors. I have ordered keets to come in june, to get some different colors. I've got a buff, 2 royal purples and a pearl adult. A lavender (i think) and a pearl keet and have ordered more buffs, slate, sky blue, and pearl jumbos. Can't wait for them to arrive. I've had bad luck this year, predators and the road have really taken a toll and I put them up at night for protection.

Return to “FOWL”