are turkeys realy this dumb or is it just mine? lol

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

are turkeys realy this dumb or is it just mine? lol

Postby dinnka » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:33 am

Ok so my turkey babies are ( were) getting pretty big and have been outside on their own for a month.. but the other nite when we got the realy wicked storms that lasted ALL nite and produced several tornados it gor pretty crazy with wind and heavy heavy crazy rain ( cant stress enough the amount of rain we got, litteraly saw roads so flooded out with running water that parts of trees and tree roots were floating down the road).. anyway, i keep my barn door open for the animals to go inside the one area.. the chickens and turkeys also have a area if they want to go in it, and we have 3 large igloos around so there is even more options of shelter.. but do you think the turkeys would use any of those.. no they sat right in the middle of the yard and wouldnt move.. the next day my 2 toms died, i know it was from being in the cold rain all nite ( I would have gottne them but didnt know they were out still because I was at work) the next nite my turkey hen sat out when it started to rain, I had to go out and pick her up and put her in the barn !!! now it is after midnite here right now, just started to rain, i put the spot light on and saw the hen turkey laying in the middle of the yard again !!! I had to walk out there in my house coat pick her up and put her in the barn... REALY???? come on are they realy this dumb? I had to go today and buy 2 more turkey chicks since 2 of mine decided to drwon themselves in the rain...we will have to pen them up this winter or the dumb birds will freeze to death outside "monkshock: :roll: "monkshock: :roll: "monkshock:
15 fox, 1 bobcat, 1 kinkajou, 2 birds, 3 cats, 9 dogs, 1 ringtailed lemur, 1 pig, numerous chickens, 3 geckos
3 kids (all boys) 1 grandson
visit us on facebook @
https://www.facebook.com/wildadventuresfoxden
FOXman

Re: are turkeys realy this dumb or is it just mine? lol

Postby FOXman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:38 am

My tom turkey does the same exact thing! Maybe, it's just the whole genus or whatever that is dumb.. :mrgreen:
When I see my future foxie for the first time, I'll know that it was worth the wait.
BB

Postby BB » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 am

Ahhh, they just needed attention.... :mrgreen:
Maybe you can lock them in a pen before nightfall?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Their instinct is to roost in trees. Domestic turkeys are too big to do this and all instinct is bred out. Many many do that.
BB

Postby BB » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:19 am

I didn't know that! So maybe they need something outside, about 30cm of the ground with a roof over their head. Preferably covered with branches! icon-smile
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:32 pm

BB wrote:I didn't know that! So maybe they need something outside, about 30cm of the ground with a roof over their head. Preferably covered with branches! icon-smile

lol.. well they arent getting that here when they have a wide open barn to go into..lol.. i will just lock them up when weather is bad.. for the winter we are going to just keep them in the barn period..dumb birds will freeze to death outside :roll:
and dumb me went to the hatchery and bought 2 more to replace the 2 that died..lol
15 fox, 1 bobcat, 1 kinkajou, 2 birds, 3 cats, 9 dogs, 1 ringtailed lemur, 1 pig, numerous chickens, 3 geckos
3 kids (all boys) 1 grandson
visit us on facebook @
https://www.facebook.com/wildadventuresfoxden
BB

Postby BB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 pm

:lol: I just was about to say "harsh" but it seems they did train you a bit...a little bit...
FOXman

Postby FOXman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:30 am

My tom turkey will sometimes roost on the fence itself. He can fly just fine, and the only other time he does fly is when he attacks, but my female turkey is like a spanish grey or something of that sort, and she is way too fat to fly.

Female Turkey= :peng: (Flightless Bird)
When I see my future foxie for the first time, I'll know that it was worth the wait.
Koeyohte

Postby Koeyohte » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Do you have a roost, or even just someplace only a few feet or so off the ground that they can reach? My turkeys live in an enclosure with a beam all the way across, about 6 feet off the ground. They're BRs and roost all on their own, every night.
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Domestic turkeys will do as yours did. Especially when bad weather if there is not a place they are used to roosting, they will huddle on the ground in the open. (Alot of animals do this.)

You should build a large incline "Ladder" type roost inside your barn. Keep them closed up and allow them to figure out and become accustom to the roost and when bad weather strikes, they should bee-line it there.

If you hatch some or get some young, keep them enclosed with a large roost for a while as they grow. That will be their safe haven and will return there when you let them out if anything should go wrong.

Return to “FOWL”