PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

peacock

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Trefoil

peacock

Postby Trefoil » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:41 am

I lost my peacock a month or so ago, he had gotten in the habit of roosting on my neighbor's garage roof at night and got hit on the road on the way back one morning. Both of my peahens are now laying eggs, one took over the dog coop on my front porch from the geese and the other is hiding somewhere. My peacock was too young so this is their second round of futilely trying to hatch non fertile eggs. I feel sorry for them wasting their time, but not quite sorry enough to buy them fertile eggs to try. I bought some earlier in the summer and out of 4, only one hatched, its cheaper to buy babies. Up until that hatch I had been getting 90% hatch rates, but for whatever reason I got one peacock out of 4 and 1 chicken and 2 keets out of about 15, the other incubator was even worse, I got 2 pheasants out of 34 eggs. I don't know if it was the heat or what, I was going to give up for this year but just couldn't pass up trying for some cochins and more guineas. Hopefully I'll have better luck this time. I'm looking for an at least 2 yr old purple black shouldered peacock but am in the process of having a coop built and have to wait until its done. Meanwhile I've got quail in every pen that will hold them and baby pheasants,chickens,keets, and a peacock in the office. I'm telling myself Scout (my skunk) likes the company.
BB

Re: peacock

Postby BB » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:44 am

I'm sorry about your peacock...
I have no idea about incubators, and I'm not big on breeding, but if I would have to hatch something I'd get some Bantam chickens, they are excellent incubators and mothers. I know a few people using them for hatching their geese or guinea fowls.
In the meantime have fun building!

Return to “FOWL”