PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Mites

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BB

Mites

Postby BB » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:54 am

Ok, I "rescued" four chickens not so long ago, which are doing fine.
Three of them decided to be all clucky and are sitting on their nests without laying eggs. I kick them of from time to time, so they can stretch their legs, get some grass and drink some water.
Yesterday I carried one of the chickens across the yard and sat down with it near the house. While patting it I've noticed a huge amount of mites all over the chook.
And then me and my partner, who carried another chicken. :roll:
I never had to deal with those type of mites. The chickens had the scaly ones on their feet sometimes, which are easy to treat with Vaseline, but what to do on their body?
I've read to spray Eucalyptus oil diluted with water, but I'm worried that it won't penetrate under the feathers and secondly I don't want to get that spray into their eyes.
I'm thinking I give them a bath, and spraying their nests instead (after changing the bedding)
Has anyone got any suggestions?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mites

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Use 5% Sevin Dust powder. It's a poison that will kill the mites, but it will not kill the bird. Many bird breeders use this, and it is what rehabbers use when they find birds with mites. I was able to pick some up at Walmart.

You just dust it on them and rub it through their feathers and then wait a day or two and put more on. Eventually it will clear up the mites.

Toucan breeders say this is the best thing to use on birds.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
paulajo

Postby paulajo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:29 pm

In the uk we have various powders that we sprinkle on the feathers. I tend to lightly lift the feathers while putting the powder on, try to pay particular attention to under the wings and bum.

Also i sprinkle some on the shavings occasionally as mine like to dust themselves in fresh shavings so....they powder them selves, much easier :icon-wink:
BB

Postby BB » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!
I see what kind of powder I can get here. I know chickens dust themselves to rid mites and other stuff, so putting the poison in their favorite dustholes is a good idea!

Return to “FOWL”