PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Geese as pets

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

the_unstable

Geese as pets

Postby the_unstable » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:42 pm

So I saw a video earlier of someone who had a goose for a pet. If you search "pet goose" on Youtube, it's the first one you'll find. I'm not very interested in fancy, colorful little birds, but I prefer more, um...native-like species? Like geese, pigeons, or crows. But geese interest me the most. Anyone here ever have any?

*I read through some of the past threads based on title and didn't find any about geese. I apologize if this has been asked before, and if it has, feel free to delete this.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Geese as pets

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Geese are cool but noisy. They make good watch dogs. They will bite sometimes too but males are worse than females. You can grab them by the back of the neck, not the throat, and hold them for a bit to show dominance and it helps fix any attitude problems. Oh aside from honking they do hiss.
Trefoil

Geese are great pets

Postby Trefoil » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:41 pm

I think if I was limited to one kind of fowl I would choose geese or muscovy ducks (they wag their tails at you in greeting) . They have more personality. Plus, unlike chickens and guineas, geese and I think ducks aren't helpless at night. Which is one of the reasons for their watchdog reputation. I've got 4 of the production type (non dewlap) toulouse, they aren't aggressive to me or really anyone else, if they decide you are a threat ( my daughters' ex boyfriend) they come running when he pulls in and if he ran I'm sure they would chase him, but that's the extent of their aggression. Yeah, they are messy and if you get goslings or ducklings do it when its warm so you can brood them outside, they mess up a solid bottom brooder really fast, they play in water and they are pretty good about keeping your grass clipped. That said, I've heard of people putting diapers on them and having a house goose. But I think they are a lot happier as pairs and outside. Mine have never pinched me or anyone else that I know of, but some breeds of geese are more aggressive. I have seen my geese, with the ducks backing them up, chase an opossum away from their coop when one of the geese was brooding there. They hurt it but it finally got away from them.
'
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:41 am

Now I'm even more interested. I don't know that I'd actually be able to have any currently as we have cats and such in the house that would want to eat them. I didn't know that they hissed...intriguing.

Since they're not helpless at night, do they need to be locked up at night like chickens and guineas? We have a pond so they'd probably like that.

I feel a bit bad for the opossum! They seem like such sweet little dopey critters. It sounds like geese can hold their own. I definitely would like to have some eventually as well as chickens.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:26 am

You would probably best still lock it up though if you have more than one that might help.

We had a goose and she always slept in the dog house with our dog. One night my dad forced the dog to sleep inside against her will due to bad weather. The next day something had killed and made off with the goose. Geese will often back each other up in a group though or run away together depending.

Normally where we used to live Quasi would chase the geese into the lake. One day they had a gosling with them and they formed a line in front of it wings out to shield, lots of hissing. He foolishly ignored the warnings and one bit down on his scruff and twisted it hard.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Wow, that is so cute that your goose and dog would sleep together. If I had some outdoors, I would want several to keep each other company.

It must have been interesting to see them form a line with their wings out to shield the gosling. They seem like neat birds.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:30 pm

One goose is usually nice but a group can be downright aggressive. I've tried different kinds and so far the Canada goose has been best. Less aggressive to new people and they don't kill the other poultry lime the pomeranians buffs and Romans did. Haven't tried pilgrims but they are said to be nice.
BB

Postby BB » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 pm

I finally find the time to reply....
Eight years ago I had a goose (gander) and I was its partner. He would attack everyone around me - no fear! This was his undoing at the end as he just didn't stop harassing the dogs.
I have got a pair now which seem to keep to themselves a lot. He hisses a me and runs after me, but when I turn around he runs away. He is just a big show-off in front of his missus. I had them for eight years now and I still can't touch them, but when I catch them I can pat them and they are relaxed.
I loooove geese, they are my favorite pet. yes, they are noisy, funk up the water constantly with their spits, harass the chickens and duck, but I wouldn't have it any other way. They are good guard animals, always letting you know if something is out of place.
They like "weeding" the garden, and are a good garbage disposal (bread, fruit and veggie scraps)
I made the mistake once that I accepted a flock of geese, and it was mayhem. I had to find them a good home again as they just wouldn't get on with my original two.
I recommend them highly, but I also think you should have a decent size yard, a lock up area, and forgiving neighbors, but if this ticks all the boxes - go for it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kamal

Postby Kamal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:11 am

We had geese, chickens, ducks and turkey.

I was born actually country side in a farmer village and it was told there that a geese keeper an old lady kept taking her birds to the well (there that time we only had this well you have to press on the arm to give water) to drink every day at the same time.
She got sick and weak from her old age and not took her birds out, and the geese went themselves. Half of them sat on the arm of the well pressing it down to make others drink and then switched. They can be very smart birds but as others said pretty loud ones and easier to handle one then a lot together, though a bit maybe safer more in one pile.

They do good watch birds as well and loud when danger comes, just like turkey. I still remember the turkey gave some strange 'morse' like voice when hawk was around lurking on the chickens and all chickens ran to safety.
My mother also was saved by this when snake was around the animals. The turkey warned her. :)

The thread might be a bit old, but reading it just made me remember some stories, little nostalgic moments. :)
KY_Karen

Postby KY_Karen » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:55 pm

I have a pair of American Buff Geese. They are an excellent choice if you want a pet goose. They are not as noisy as most geese; but note, this doesn't mean they are quite. They are very gentle. The goose has never acted like she was thinking of biting and the gander has only ever bit when the goose was on eggs. Even then, he usually just grabs a pants leg or shoe lace and gives it a shake. They lay in the early spring, like other geese. I also think they are very pretty. The only negatives are, first, the mess - Geese really do poop a lot! Secondly - they will demolish any sapling or bush you try to plant where they can get to it; And they might chew up other stuff you wish they wouldn't. They are very curious and will explore everything - often tearing it to pieces in the process. But this is true of all geese. As long as you have a decent size yard, with plenty of grass (grass being the staple of their diet) and don't want to plant any new trees or shrubs, all should be well. You'd want to provide a shelter for them to get out of the weather when they want, and to lay any eggs they may have; and a kiddie pool big enough to splash around in. I like my geese a lot.

Return to “FOWL”