PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Considering a parrot...

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Onyx

Considering a parrot...

Postby Onyx » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:37 pm

Considering! I told myself not to get anymore pets right now, but at the same time I want a social and interactive pet.
My mental health has kinda declined over the past couple years with lots of isolation, so I really want an animal that is more of a friend and will provide some moral support, unlike my current pets. I love my animals with all my being, but they aren't loyal, sociable, and trainable. The cats are loving animals, but have a very independent personality and aren't super loyal like a dog would be.

I was wanting a dog, but the breeds I'd want are large (*cough-doberman-cough*) and I don't have the space, and I'm typically not fond of the smaller breeds. So I was thinking about a bird? I have had budgies before and a Jenday conure when I was little. I also adore being around them. I know larger parrots can intimidate people but I got to hold a hyacinth macaw (at SeaWorld) and it was honestly the best thing. I don't find them frightening or anything.

I have been thinking ahead. While I don't mind a loud bird, I will be living in an apartment sooner or later so I'd need a relatively small and quiet parrot. Plus, I wouldn't want a loud parrot stressing my other animals out. I feel like I'm definitely capable of taking care of a parrot and would thoroughly enjoy doing so, but I also feel like I'd be irresponsible getting one right now. My situation isn't bad or anything. Opinions? If I do end up going ahead and getting one, any recommendations?

I'd like a bird that is relatively quiet, moderate size (no larger than an amazon), smart, trainable, loyal, and affectionate. I don't mind a mess, and can spend plenty of time with them while I'm home. I've been thinking either a small parakeet (like a budgie), cockatiel, or a Pyrrhura conure. Nothing super loud like an Aratinga. The most I'd be gone in a day would be 6 hours, so I've been thinking that if I get a smaller bird like a barred parakeet, I could get two to keep each other company while I'm gone and hang out and train them when I come back (but I'd also have to make sure they get along). I may end up rescuing one with the personality that fits my situation best.

So, what are your thoughts? What kind of bird should I get? Or should I get one at all? I've been researching various species but I just wanted some opinions before I jumped to getting one. I know parrots are extremely intelligent and social animals and aren't for just anyone, so I want to be careful. I just think a parrot would be good for me. Don't worry, I'm not getting a cockatoo or anything!
    Owner of a ball python, leopard gecko, two betta fish, and two cats.

Dream Pets: Caracal, rusty-spotted genet, gray smooth hound shark, black tree
    monitor, dragon moray, doberman, Yakut laika, and Brazilian black tarantula.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Considering a parrot...

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:53 pm

I don't have that much knowledge when it comes to birds but it helps that you already have some smaller bird experience. I think the main consideration will be your future and ensuring what you choose wont inhibit anything you may want to do, where you may want to move, trips you may want to take, if college is a consideration if it can go with you, etc. But it sounds like you are already considering that.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:23 pm

If money isn't as big an issue, you could save up for a toucanet. I know it's not a parrot, but they are extremely social and SILENT. Except when they purr. Sometimes they purr when you're petting them. Toucans and toucanets make amazing pets--especially since they're not noisy.

If you want a parrot, a lorikeet is a really interactive, social, friendly one that I would recommend. The lorikeets where I worked would come over and want to play by rolling over and kicking their feet. Super cute and VERY beautiful birds.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:33 pm

Money isn't a huge issue, but there is a limit. I was looking into hawk-headed parrots but quickly stopped as they can go for over 2k. Toucanets and aracaris certainly exceed the limit as well. Would absolutely love a collared aracari though. Stunning and unique animals.

Aren't lories/lorikeets quite screechy, or am I mistaken? If I am, they seem like a good option. However, I primarily see rainbow lorikeets for sale, which I'm not a huge fan of (too many different colors for one bird, imo). Scaly-breasted lorikeets are lovely though. Black lories are my favorite but they seem quite rare.

As for my future; I don't foresee anything I want to do that a bird would prevent me from doing. Way in the future I may want to travel a little but having a bird doesn't necessarily mean that can't happen. I really wanted to move overseas one day but I doubt that would happen, and instead I may move to Michigan sometime in the future. I'm not interested in college so that shouldn't get in the way. The main thing I worry about is if I someday find myself in a situation on my own with little money and can't afford to take care my animals, but I suppose that can happen to anyone.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:21 pm

In MY opinion, lorikeets weren't that screechy. There were 4-5 where I worked, and the weren't nearly as noisy as the macaw or cockatoo. That's just my experience with them though. Maybe they were an exception.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Oooooh I see someone who'll be having some black lories available soon. Super tempting.
And I looked into the lorikeets and their noise level, and it seems they can be screechy and very loud when they want to (esp. if they don't get enough attention) but are generally on the quieter side. I'll definitely be looking a bit more into them.

Also loving the pionus species too.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:53 pm

That would be awesome if you could get some. I also like the dusky lories. Saw one at a zoo once.
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:30 am

Kinda worried about the noise level of lories. As much as I want a black lory I think I'll wait on that and get something quieter, like a black-capped conure.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Conures are pretty birds. I had to look up the black-capped ones to see what they look like. I think they will make a good pet if that is what you do decide. :)
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 pm

I've narrowed down my options to the following:

Cockatiel
Lovebird
Parrotlet
Pyrrhura
Poicephalus
Pionus
Small parakeet (Budgie, Bourke's, and Barred)

I'm strongly leaning towards the pionus since they are on the larger side (but not TOO large) but also generally quiet, whereas most larger birds are loud. But the species I really want (dusky pionus) is extremely rare. I've only found one breeder so far and they live in Nevada and don't ship. The most common one seems to be the blue-headed. However, I don't mind a smaller bird. If I get a parakeet I'd probably choose the barred parakeet. The Bourke's are lovely but I've read that they stress very easily, and they also seem to be quite active at night.

There is a bird shop near by and the lady who owns the store is super friendly and helpful! I'll probably be getting a bird from her. She had a talkative hawk-headed parrot and an ivory-billed aracari in the shop, which I wasn't expecting to see. She had some red-bellied and Senegal parrots so I might get one of those, but I think I'll probably get a pyrrhura conure.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:22 pm

Glad you're narrowing down your choices. :) It can be hard to pinpoint exactly what you want sometimes. Especially when you need it to fit certain qualifications, like doesn't make much noise, etc.

My mom keeps wanting me to get a parrotlet, lol. She thinks they're so cute but doesn't want to take care of one, just wants me to have one when she visits.
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:54 pm

I found some pearly conures for sale (they're really rare) but they are in Michigan. I hope they ship.
I'm probably going to have to wait till December to finally get a bird anyway though.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Those are pretty.

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”