PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Kaida the Green Cheek

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Onyx

Kaida the Green Cheek

Postby Onyx » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 pm

Sorry I never got around to giving an update on him. As you can see, I did decide on the name Kaida. Also thought it would be a good idea to give him his own thread to post occasional updates!
He has settled in very well. At first he was very nippy, but has gotten much better. He's generally friendly and likes to stand by my computer and watch YouTube with me! Sometimes he can still get a lil bitey, though that doesn't surprise me as I've read that green cheeks can be rather nippy. He is fun to be around, just needs some work.
His wings were clipped when I got him. I don't really like wing clipping but I guess in this case it makes since. It wouldn't have been a good idea to have a flighted bird, not used to flying or used to the new place and people. He could have hurt himself. So it's nice to have his wings clipped while he settled down. When his wings grow out more I'll be training him to fly. I've just been focusing on the basics, and ensuring he gets used to the schedule I have him on.
I plan on getting him another smaller cage so I can easily transport him to my aunt's house. I have a very small cage that's good for vet visits, but it is way too small for him to stay in for a few days. I'll have to be watching my aunt's dogs in a month or so, so I may need to bring him while I stay. And she loves animals and would love watching Kaida whenever I'm gone.
There are many fruits and veggies I want him to try, but so far his favorite seems to be apples and green grapes! He likes carrots, broccoli (sort of), cantaloupe, pineapple, and banana as well. I've also gotten him many toys since I got him. Here's a couple recent photos of him taken with my phone. The second one I took after he took a lil bath and got water everywhere. I may posts some better ones later.

Image Image

Someone suggested that I register him as an ESA since one of the reasons I got him was to help with my mental health. Thoughts?
Wheatley - Male | Ball Python | Russo Leucistic
Anima - Female | Leopard Gecko | Bell Albino
Kaida - Male | Green Cheek Conure | Pineapple
Tenebre - Female | Betta splendens | Crowntail

Family also owns three cats and a pitbull.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kaida the Green Cheek

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:12 am

Glad he's settled in and you both are happy.

ESA only protects you for housing. A landlord can't refuse to let you stay with the bird(most colleges can though as far as dorms). There's not really a legit registry for them but you get a note from your DR.

https://www.animallaw.info/article/faqs ... rt-animals
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Beautiful little guy. I'm happy you have him now, and he's settling in.

I can see how a frightened little bird that isn't used to flying could be a problem full-flighted. Hopefully he gets used to you and your family soon and then his feathers will have a chance to grow out. He can use his beak to get around in the meantime, afterall.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:30 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Glad he's settled in and you both are happy.

ESA only protects you for housing. A landlord can't refuse to let you stay with the bird(most colleges can though as far as dorms). There's not really a legit registry for them but you get a note from your DR.

https://www.animallaw.info/article/faqs ... rt-animals

Thank you for the link. I'll definitely be looking into it more. The fact that it makes it easier to find a place to live with him is a huge bonus, and I see no reason not to register him as one.

Ash wrote:Beautiful little guy. I'm happy you have him now, and he's settling in.

I can see how a frightened little bird that isn't used to flying could be a problem full-flighted. Hopefully he gets used to you and your family soon and then his feathers will have a chance to grow out. He can use his beak to get around in the meantime, afterall.

He's gotten pretty used to me. Not entirely though, he still needs to get used to me a bit more. He doesn't seem to like my mother though. He's okay with my sister. But by the time his wings grow out I'm sure he'll be much more comfortable with us.

Here's some more photos of him:
ImageImageImage
Wheatley - Male | Ball Python | Russo Leucistic
Anima - Female | Leopard Gecko | Bell Albino
Kaida - Male | Green Cheek Conure | Pineapple
Tenebre - Female | Betta splendens | Crowntail

Family also owns three cats and a pitbull.

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”