PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Help! I've got eggs!

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

mieu

Help! I've got eggs!

Postby mieu » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:04 pm

I have two finches that were given to me by someone who could not keep them anymore. They are a bonded pair--a female society finch and a male zebra finch. I've had them for three years, and despite the male's charm, the female has shown zero interest in mating with him--which is exactly how I want it. I keep them in a spacious flight cage completely devoid of nesting material.

Well, this morning I woke up and, lo and behold, I found three little eggs smashed on the bottom of the cage (she just laid them from her perch where they both sleep). I've cooked her up some egg food and they have a cuttlebone to replenish her calcium and vitamins, but I'm somewhat concerned that if she starts laying eggs on the regular it may take a toll on her both physically and in the stress department. They love each other very much but the male--being a zebra--can be a bit of a bastard at times, and they're tough to separate as loneliness causes them both considerable distress. I've heard some suggestions of giving her fake eggs to sit on so that she doesn't make more, but that would mean that I need to give them a nesting box and material. The last time I gave them a toy that was capable of being pulled apart and thus awakened their nesting instincts, he ended up chasing her and plucking down from underneath her wings to line the corner that they dubbed their 'nest.'

Looking for advice from anyone who may have experienced this. Could these eggs be a one-time thing? Is it okay for me to keep removing them and supplementing her food? Would providing a nest for them cause the more undesirable traits of paired birds to surface?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help! I've got eggs!

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Passing eggs for birds can be like having a period. It just has to be done sometimes and the likely hood is very high they were never fertile. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The changing of light in the day to longer can trigger it and she'll lay a few eggs in spring then stop. If she gets to where she's laid more than a dozen eggs then look into trying to stop her.

She wasn't feeling broody since she just dropped the eggs like poop. A friends birds were like that. she would just drop her eggs off a perch in the spring. A provided nest would get dismantled. One the couple occasions she did try to sit the eggs they would still destroy the nest or just lay them on a shelf and they always fell and got broken.
mieu

Re: Help! I've got eggs!

Postby mieu » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks a bunch, TamanduaGirl. She definitely didn't seem affected by the loss of the eggs. When I was reaching in to remove them she ignored me and has been her normal perky self. The male on the other hand is getting his spring-onset attitude so you're probably right that it may be a result of additional daylight. Even though I'm crossing my fingers that it was a one-time thing, it's good to know that it can come and go and not stress her out by playing ping-pong with her brooding instincts. Thanks again!

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”