ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Found a baby Robin what to do?

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Found a baby Robin what to do?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:02 pm

There is a baby Robin on my porch right now and he doesn't seem to be afraid of us we walk passed him and he doesn't seem to care that were here. There is no mother Robin around and the lil guy can't fly yet he just hops. If no mother Robin shows up should I just leave the lil guy be or should I attempt to finish raising the young bird so he can fly away? What do Robins eat? Do they just eat earthworms? Is there any places I can buy earthworms?
Juska

Re: Found a baby Robin what to do?

Postby Juska » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:20 pm

I would leave him alone for now. Mom might be around waiting for him to move away from the house. If he can hop around it sounds like he's fine. I guess just keep an eye on him.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
prk22

Postby prk22 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:38 pm

If the little guy is feathered and hopping around, yes leave him be. I would call your local wildlife center, just to reassure you and give you a voice-opinion of what to do/not to do.
~Pätrick
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:53 pm

That happened to me long ago. I contacted a rehab place and they told me a baby robin
can spend up to 3 days grounded while learning to fly, and just to leave him to figure it out.
Scary thought with all the dangers out there.

:(
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:01 pm

If you have any bushes or other kinds of brush to hide in in case of danger/weather, he'll be just fine :)
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Laughing Hyena

Postby Laughing Hyena » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks guys! Yea Mother Robin was right around the corner and took care of him from there. Are baby Robins not scared of us? Because that Robin didn't seem to do anything when we walked by or could he have been scared stiff of us? I also was getting worried because my neighbor lets their Cat out and that Cat is already a bird killer it got like 5 birds last summer in our yard and some of the birds were half eaten and still twitching! A disturbing sight!
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:47 pm

oh what a relief!! It so rarely turns out nicely, thank you for the update!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:20 am

He wasn't tame of you. Many animals will hold still hoping they wont be seen. They can't tell if you've seen them or not even if you stair at them unless you make a threatening move at them.

This happened the other day here but with a baby scrub jay. I found him in the yard. Well, Beaker did but there was the garden fence between the fledgling and him. As above the fledgling didn't move even though Beaker was right at the fence the bird was hiding against. They think not moving equals hidden. Mom was perched on the grape frame thing yelling her head off. We went through the back fence since he would have come from the neighbor's tree. His yard is wild back thee with lots of junk. I tried putting him in a an old wheel hub that was on top of some other junk to be a bit saer than on the ground but he jumped/glided out and down but there were bushes back there for him and after awhile mom stopped looking in our yard for him and went back there to him.

It was a few days where mom would come back to our yard screaming for awhile then leave. Hopefully he was okay and she just kept having trouble finding him.

It's hard to watch but yeah it's natural for this to happen to the fledglings at first. Unless you see any injuries you have to let nature handle it.

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”