PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Cockatiel

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BlueBaby1023

Cockatiel

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Well, about a week ago one of Nathan's coworkers said "Hey, you love animals, don't you?" Dangerous way to start a conversation. :wall:

Long story short, her kids had a pet cockatiel but since they are now all in college she doesn't want to care for it anymore. The rescues around here want $500 to take it in, so instead she was hoping we'd take it. It's about 7 years old, male, and lutino colored.

So, of course, Nathan feels bad for the poor bird and agrees to bring it home as soon as we are finished getting settled. His cop out? "You gave me Meaghan-rescue-it syndrome, **** it! I couldn't help it!" :roll:

We are planning on bringing it home sometime this next week, and it will be living in our small pet room with the rats, guinea pigs, and rabbits. We are getting it a new cage with the help of the current owner, as the cage it's living in is more suited to budgies than a cockatiel.

We'll see how he takes to being rehomed. Some parrots do fine, others not so much. At this point, we don't even know his name or if he can fly! :shrug:

As soon as I get pictures, I'll share.

.... I think we live in a zoo... :roll:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cockatiel

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:06 pm

lol, Another animal? Aren't you busy enough? :lol:

That's how we got our cockatiel, Ailey. A cousin owned her, went to college, and then their mom had to take care of her for YEARS. It turns out Ailey actually makes a good pet for my autistic sister though--she doesn't take care of her (mom does), but she lets her ride around on her shoulder and lets her fly. They're also working on giving her a better diet now since I informed seeds were a no-no. So it looks like things are going well. She's probably about 12 years old. But having lived so long on seeds, I can't imagine she's going to "thrive" and not live as long as she should. But she has been a blessing to my sister. She loves my sister, and will bow her head to be scratched, and will always fly to my sister. It's very endearing.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
BlueBaby1023

Re: Cockatiel

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:07 pm

Ash wrote:lol, Another animal? Aren't you busy enough? :lol:

You're telling me. :lol: Definitely not my idea nor good timing. I thought about maybe getting a cockatoo wayyyy down the road, like 5-10 years from now, but it is what it is. I'm sure he won't be a problem, though. :) From what I've heard, they live less than 20 years, so he is already middle aged, so he isn't a terribly long commitment like some other birds that live as long as people do.

I swear, the homeless animals, they know where I live. :help:

It's actually sort of funny, both Nathan and I were adamant about not getting any more since we're working on improving the house and getting livestock. No more animals but livestock until we get foxes! (Yea, that sure worked out well... :roll: )

Hey, at least I can blame Nathan alone for this one! I had nothing to do with it. :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes