PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Woodpeckers

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TexasYankee

Woodpeckers

Postby TexasYankee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:00 am

A downy woodpecker flew into the window yesterday. I rescued her, and the wildlife rehabilitator I called told me I should put her in a box with towels and she should recover very quickly (but to call her if she wasn't improved within a day).

Within two hours, the woodpecker was up and ready to fly again. In the meantime, I got to watch a woodpecker more closely than I ever have before, and I got to thinking what fascinating little creatures they are. They've got parrot-like toes and stiff tails which allow them to assume all sorts of perching postures (which of course I've noticed at the bird feeder but never really thought about before), and they've got heads adapted for knocking on wood.

Obviously, native species such as the downy woodpecker are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. But does anybody know of any non-native woodpecker species being kept as pets in the US?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Woodpeckers

Postby pat » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:17 am

interesting question. I never seen a captive woodpecker.

I sometimes here them here, but, never see them. wish you would have got some up close and personal pictures.
glad to hear the woodpecker made it though.

thank you saving it's life.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:07 pm

I did take some pictures. I may post some at some point, but I need to strip the GIS metadata and reduce the resolution to something reasonable for the web, and I don't feel like doing that right now.

I'm not actually sure that I saved her life. Since I don't get birds of prey (except owls) in my yard, and I didn't see any of the neighbors' cats around. But better safe than sorry. I took her inside because I wasn't sure she would recover before nightfall, when the raccoons, owls, and fishers come out.

Have you considered a suet feeder? I used to see woodpeckers only rarely (and only the downies), then I put up a suet feeder. Not only does it attract both hairy and downy woodpeckers (to the point that I'll now see two or even three woodpeckers on the same tree as they take their turns at the feeder), but the nuthatches, titmice, and chickadees love it as well.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:26 pm

l look forward to the pictures. I can hear woodpeckers, but, can never see them.
I have tons of trees around here, so it is hard to see what is in the tree and which tree they are in.

I try not to hang much in the trees, cause I have 6 cats :shrug:
don't want anymore food out there that will attract rats.

I do have a nut tree in front and see squirrels once in awhile. I enjoy seeing them.
but, when my dogs see them,they chase them :icon-frown: they never caught any yet.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:05 pm

One time a little bird flew into our glass door and was limp but alive so I thought it broke it's neck. I pt it into a box to take to the vet that acted as a drop off for wildlife rescue. Figured they could at least euthanize it humanely. I opened the box a bit to see if it was dead before going in so I'd not waste their time and it flew out and got up into the dash of the car. I managed to get hold of it's foot and gently tug it out then just stepped out of the car and let it go. Figured one neighborhood over another wouldn't make any different to the bird.

In the past the Pileated Woodpeckers have "laughed" at Pia taking a walk in the woods. They scared her.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:59 pm

@Pat: if you keep your cats solely indoors, you wouldn't have to worry about them getting your birds. Of course you'd probably still have to worry about your neighbors' cats. To deal with that problem I put my feeders in locations that would be hard for a cat to get to (such as on the window, in the middle of a dogwood stand, and literally way out on a limb).

Also, we have a ton of chipmunks, and cats seem to prefer those to birds, seeing as they're slower and easier to catch. When my mother had a cat (also an indoor-outdoor cat, unfortunately) he only ever caught chipmunks and baby rabbits; with the neighbors' cats I see them stalking chipmunks all the time, though I've never actually seem them catch one.

@TamanduaGirl:
One reason that the wildlife rehabilitator told me not to bring her the woodpecker immediately (aside from the fact that she was likely to recover quickly), was that this time of year she's likely to have a family, and needs to be released where she is.

I had a similar experience with this woodpecker. I was going to put some of the cloth I use to cover blueberries over the box, but she recovered quicker than I expected, before I'd done that. I heard her scramble up onto the edge of the box. I opened the door and inched towards the box, and she panicked and flew into a wall.

I ended up grabbing her with my bare hands and took her outside where I waited for her to recover from her second collision. I figure I'm not likely to catch anything from a bird, and since the second collision was only a few feet from the box, she wouldn't remain stunned for very long. (I was correct on both counts.)

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”