PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Saw Whet Owls

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Hamiltrash12345

Saw Whet Owls

Postby Hamiltrash12345 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:17 am

So what are Saw Whet Owls like in Captivity? I really want one someday because they are small and cute and I can be like Harry Potter. ⚡️

Elsa ❤️
Juska

Re: Saw Whet Owls

Postby Juska » Thu May 25, 2017 10:09 am

You want an exotic animal just so you can be like Harry Potter...?

Do you have any interest in owls, or raptors in general, besides that? They take a lot to properly care for, and they can live a very long time. Also, they are on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 protected list, so you probably can't own one even if you had the means.

You've said you want corsac, pale, and fennec foxes because "they're lit", snow leopards (outright illegal to own in FL), and now an owl "to be like Harry Potter". I realize you are still in school, but you should slow down on wanting everything you see and think is cool. Many people have jumped into owning exotics recently, especially foxes, way too eagerly and ended up not being prepared to handle everything that comes with it. There are so many red foxes out there that end up without homes because their owners thought they were getting something as easy as a dog to care for, and they quickly found out it was not the case.

I am not trying to attack you, just trying to give you a heads up. People come on here saying the same things, then they get bored with the idea once they realize it isn't as easy as it seemed at first, move on to something else and never come back.

It's cool that you are interested in all different kinds of exotics as pets! I came here in 2008 when I was in high school, looking for info about owning a skunk as a pet. I've since learned a lot about them, and how much it takes to care for them. They are nothing like a cat or dog. I decided they would not fit my lifestyle because of their special needs. Fast forward almost 10 years later, I am still here because I am still interested in exotic pets, even though I did not get my skunk; and I like to help people with their questions because I was once a beginner as well.

Don't take this as discouragement. There is a ton of info on this forum/knowledgeable members, and using the search tool (and Google) can help you find out a lot of things about various animals. Maybe once you do get your own place, you can find an exotic that is legal to own and fits your lifestyle. Don't be afraid to explore your options, but keep in mind that there are a lot of potential laws, ordinances, permits, time, money and effort involved when owning almost any exotic pet vs, a non-exotic.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Hamiltrash12345

Postby Hamiltrash12345 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Ok look. I may be still in school but I am NOT stupid. I have done my research on ANY animal I am interested in alright. Don't attack the person who's different than you! I have already had to put up with sh** from my mom when I adopted my snake at my dad's. I have dreams of owning an zoo and becoming a famous Actress and Writer one day but while I have some animals at my zoo I do want some of my own exotic animals. I do want some Domesticated Foxes and maybe a Gray Fox because they are tamer and do not smell as much.

Elsa ❤️
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 25, 2017 12:56 pm

No one called you stupid or even insinuated that so do not attack others by saying they did. Calm down a bit. No one attacked you and I can't help but think her words struck a bit of truth or you wouldn't have reacted so aggressively about it. Yes passive aggressive "your being so horrible and mean" when they aren't is still aggression and an attack of it's own and not allowed.

To have a native owl you will need to apprentice with falconry for many years with something like a little kestrel and earn your way up to bigger and harder things. But there's a reason most don't keep owls. Even raised by hand they are grumpy and mean and hard to care for so deemed by most people not to be worth it.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat May 27, 2017 9:57 am

If you're truly interested in owls, visiting one in real life (at a raptor center) would be a good start—or you could become an apprentice falconer, but it's a lot of work.

Raptors are animals that are primarily motivated by food, and working with one takes a lot of time and effort. Owls are no exception to this, and are particularly expensive to own when compared to other raptors. Eurasian Eagle owls are only available (and legal) owl in the pet trade, and are one of the largest owl species. They cost around $200 a month to feed, and have very long and sharp talons and a beak that can sever fingers. Their enclosures cost around $1000 to make as well.

They aren't an animal to take lightly, so I wholeheartedly recommend meeting some in real life to learn about them more if you truly want one. They're awesome animals, and I totally understand your desire to own one— I do too, one day! icon-smile

Here's an article written by a friend of mine about pet owl care. It's very informative so I think you'll enjoy it. https://pethelpful.com/exotic-pets/Owls ... Care-Legal
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Hamiltrash12345

Postby Hamiltrash12345 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Wow thanks! I've met one in real life who was blind in one eye when they brought them to my school in second grade. His name was Willy and he was the cutest thing!

Elsa ❤️

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”