PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

PET OWL CARE

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Peacefulward

PET OWL CARE

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:07 pm

I’ve been researching pet owl care recently as I’ve become interested in them.
I’m working on a list of proper owl care articles and videos, but for now here’s a YouTube playlist with videos of them. Most are just cute videos, but it gives you a good idea of how to handle an owl and what they’re like. Some videos showcase their vocalizations and behavior: https://youtu.be/8DfSsK_lsmg?list=PLHHI ... -QmLM07Alq

Most are Japanese since pet owls are very popular in Japan.

I have also found people who breed non-MBTA owls and that will sell to private owners that meet their standards; it’s not impossible to get an owl in the US after all!
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TurkRoach

Re: PET OWL CARE

Postby TurkRoach » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:30 am

Wouldn't you still need to have a falconry license since it is a bird of prey?
Bora Kalem
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:39 am

TurkRoach wrote:Wouldn't you still need to have a falconry license since it is a bird of prey?

It depends on the state I guess, but in NC you don’t need any special permits since owls that are non-native aren’t MBTA. Not sure if this applies to other birds of prey though.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Gryffindor

Postby Gryffindor » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Yeah, I've seen Eurasian Eagle owls for sale. I know they're legal in FL but not sure if they are nation wide.

I love owls and would love a Eurasian Eagle owl, Indian Scops owl, and Barn owl to start with. The Barn I'd need a license for, of course. I'm really interested in wildlife rehabilitation so I wonder if that would be a way to become licensed? And possibly be able to own native owls that can't be returned to the wild for whatever reason?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:26 pm

Not really. Your state rehab permit will not allow you to keep birds on the treaty list. You still need the federal license to keep/rehab them or go the falconry route. Some people do have the license, like our raptor center, their main goal is rehab but if the are unreasonable they are kept.
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:09 am

Oh wow, I thought all raptors needed special permits to be kept. I've been interested in owls myself lately. I adore the sooty owls, but I am sure those would be hard to come by.
    Owner of a ball python, leopard gecko, two betta fish, and two cats.

Dream Pets: Caracal, rusty-spotted genet, gray smooth hound shark, black tree
    monitor, dragon moray, doberman, Yakut laika, and Brazilian black tarantula.

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”