PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Sooty Owls

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Onyx

Sooty Owls

Postby Onyx » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:22 pm

So, after seeing the post on pet owls, I'm curious. How common are they in captivity? I know they are in some zoos, but are any kept privately? I'm assuming they are quite rare, mainly because they are native to Australia. They are absolutely stunning though.
    Owner of a ball python, leopard gecko, two betta fish, and two cats.

Dream Pets: Caracal, rusty-spotted genet, gray smooth hound shark, black tree
    monitor, dragon moray, doberman, Yakut laika, and Brazilian black tarantula.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sooty Owls

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:23 am

Not that I know of, but I haven't browsed bird classified sites for a while, so could be wrong. Since from Australia they are not allowed to be exported either, so any that are in the US would have had to have been before the ban which was a while ago. :/
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:21 am

I see that the greater sooty owl is also native to New Guinea. Are there any restrictions on exports there?

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:00 am

You’d have to contact an exotic raptor importer to ask. I’ve never seen sooty owls for sale.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 pm

If you’re interested in pet owls, one of the best species to start with is the white faced owl. They are small and docile although can be flighty and hard to get to sit still on the glove. Since they’re not native to the US they’re perfectly legal unless your state says otherwise.

In fact, I know a breeder in the UK of them who’s willing to sell to US residents although it’s quite expensive.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Not sure if I'll ever really get an owl, I'm still looking into it, but thank you for that info! Other than the Tyto genus, my favorite owl is the Eurasian eagle-owl. The white-faced owls are a close second, though.

I have no idea if owls are legal here in Louisiana, but I won't be staying here. Hopefully, were ever I end up, they'll be legal.

I'll still be trying to get info on those sooty owls. They are absolutely stunning. Its a shame that they aren't as common in captivity as other owls.

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:04 am

I’d definitely not recommend any eagle owl for beginners. They’re extremely powerful birds. Their talons are capable of wrapping around your skull and they exert enough pressure per square inch while squeezing to crush it. Many falconers have had their shoulders or arms shattered by handling these birds incorrectly.

I suppose you could start with an eagle owl chick as a pet though. I know people keep them as pets in Japan with no issues, so perhaps raising your own bird helps with temperament. Finding a breeder who’ll sell to you would be super hard though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=400s&v=zgb219ZWDBc

Onyx

Postby Onyx » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm

I can tell they're dangerous just by looking at them! They certainly wouldn't be my first owl, if I do ever get an owl (though I'd still love to own one).

Thank you for the video! It was very interesting (and the barn owl was adorable, of course). I'll likely be watching more of their videos.

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”