PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Older African Greys?

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Mister Wiseguy

Older African Greys?

Postby Mister Wiseguy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:29 pm

How often are older African Greys sold as pets? I ask because given the lifespan of these birds, I'd be 65 before (s)he dies. It'd be nice to get one that's a little older, but I don't know where to look!

Are there adoption agencies that have them?
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:12 pm

bird sanctuaries often have older 20 + year old birds
Mister Wiseguy

Postby Mister Wiseguy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:47 pm

sueBear wrote:bird sanctuaries often have older 20 + year old birds

Oh, thanks. Now I just have to find one near by. :cool:
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:50 pm

just a warning though... "second hand" birds can have alot of issues.. that might have been the reason they were turned over in the first place... So, if you have the time and patience to work with a bird that might bite... may scream, ect then thats wonderful
Mister Wiseguy

Postby Mister Wiseguy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:55 pm

sueBear wrote:just a warning though... "second hand" birds can have alot of issues.. that might have been the reason they were turned over in the first place... So, if you have the time and patience to work with a bird that might bite... may scream, ect then thats wonderful

Yeah, that's my worry. But my main concern regarding African greys is how long they live. I mean, it's great they live so long, but if I get one now, I'll be 65 when it dies. :eek:

Are there other species of birds that talk like the African grey, but maybe have a shorter lifespan?
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:03 pm

most parrots live a very long life. Its important when selecting a bird not to get it ONLY for its talking ability. African greys are crafty devils... they are moody, and like to play "pranks" on you... I knew one who would run to the edge of its play stand, and if you werent looking when you stood near it, he would bite you then LAUGH!!!! Most big parrots scream like the cockato's and macaws... if you train them right they are good talkers and can be trained not to scream as much. Smaller birds like quakers can be really good talkers too, but they are demanding little clowns. I would join a parrot message board and ask the "experts" what type of parrot will fit your life style.
Mister Wiseguy

Postby Mister Wiseguy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:08 pm

sueBear wrote:most parrots live a very long life. Its important when selecting a bird not to get it ONLY for its talking ability. African greys are crafty devils... they are moody, and like to play "pranks" on you... I knew one who would run to the edge of its play stand, and if you werent looking when you stood near it, he would bite you then LAUGH!!!! Most big parrots scream like the cockato's and macaws... if you train them right they are good talkers and can be trained not to scream as much. Smaller birds like quakers can be really good talkers too, but they are demanding little clowns. I would join a parrot message board and ask the "experts" what type of parrot will fit your life style.

My, goodness.

I do have access to Quaker Parrots, but I need to do more research.
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:12 pm

parrots are really worth it, but only if you get the right one for you. That is were most people go wrong... they want the one that can talk, or they want the biggest bird... or the most colorful without asking if that bird and the species personality will work for them.
Mister Wiseguy

Postby Mister Wiseguy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:14 pm

sueBear wrote:parrots are really worth it, but only if you get the right one for you. That is were most people go wrong... they want the one that can talk, or they want the biggest bird... or the most colorful without asking if that bird and the species personality will work for them.

Do you know much about Quakers? Do they need big cages like African greys?
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:19 pm

the bigger the cage the better for any bird... but they can use a medium cage. They are loud too like all birds can be... but usualy only at certain time of the day, and with training can be trained not to be so loud. They are chatty too... when taught to talk they just chat away hehehe
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:21 pm

my husband and i started a bird rescue a few months ago.. amazing how many people get birds and not realizing what they are getting into..not only parrots but the smaller birds also, we have taken in 5 birds in the last few months we have a total of 16 right now.. ranging from cockatoo-parakeets ( the finches I raise )birds of all shapes and sizes require special attention, they are loud no matter the species, they are very messy..the bigger the louder the messier.. they are very destructive.. they do not always talk, they have a powerfull bite ( even a little love bird will pack a good one ), they tend to be one person animals and tolerate others. they get bored easily and can self destruct themself, they need special diets seeds alone dont cut it, it takes a long time for us to pre-pare the birds feed each day, who gets what, who gets what vitamins what day and for what condition, who likes what vegie and what fruit, making the egg food, molting, vet trips for wings, beak and nails.. but if you have the time and patience a bird is a wonderfull animal, thye do rewuire alot of attention and time, the bigger they are from a rescue the more issues you will have to deal with, these birds i have rescued all have issues we deal with daily, from lack of attention before, previous owener had no clue on health and diet, or just total mis treatment.. good luck, most rescues if they are a good one will not adopt out large parrots unless you have proof of previous owenership of large parrots..
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:21 pm

I work at an avian/exotic/domestic vet

greys are VERY demanding, and if not given a lot of attention usually become feather pickers. Most i see have some degree of plucked chest. Also, most seem to only say a few words, with many that do say a lot, but it doesnt seem the norm. Possibly because people are so busy now a days they dont often spend enough time with them

I love the caiques, senegals, and the larger conures when it comes to talking, neediness, and fun factor, senegals being more the cuddle type.

My male cockatiel talks alot and know the andy griffith theme song. Cockatiels are very nice, but for a talker, a male is a must. You can get a male by talking to breeders, as often different colors only come out as male when the pairing is right so you can visually sex them as soon as feathers come in (cinnamon and lutino varieties)
Mister Wiseguy

Postby Mister Wiseguy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:35 pm

Thanks for all the information. I'm looking a cockateils and quakers. :)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:16 am

I use to have a couple cockateils and parakeets.
both are nice birds.
the one cockateil I had, I thought for several years that it was a male, and I kept trying to get it to talk, then one day, I found a couple eggs, :lol:

anyway, the cockteils are nice birds, very friendly if worked with, never agressive.
same with the parakeets. my sister had a real smart parakeet, she tought it all kind of tricks. it was a very smart little guy..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Parrothed

Re: Greys and pet birds in general

Postby Parrothed » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:55 am

Hi, I'm a little late, but I wanted to chime in...

Another fabulous little undervalued bird is the Pionus. They came in some pretty, but subtle, colors. They tend to be quiet and gentle. Green cheeked conures are also one of the better "starter" conures, IMO.

The others are right, high dollar birds don't end up in rescue for nothing...but don't let that discourage you. You can find the perfect diamond (maybe in the rough..maybe not!) there!

Parrot

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”