PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hummingbirds?

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Hummingbirds?

Postby tombraiderwes » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:53 am

Has anyone ever heard of them as pets? They are really the only birds I ever liked.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81153031/

Thanks!
Wesley
:peng: :peng: :peng:
cat person
Banned
Banned

Re: Hummingbirds?

Postby cat person » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi tombraiderwes,

I am pretty sure it is first off illegal to keep a humming bird as a pet. Since in the the United States it is illegal to keep a native species of bird as a pet. Or it is illegal to keep them cause I am pretty sure they are covered under the migratory bird act. That also states you can not keep birds that migrate threw the United States as pets.

Now even if you where a licensed wildlife rehabilitation in your state and got one that you could not release I would imagine they are hard to keep. Due to there natural diet and how to properly replicate it over the long term in captivity.

Hope that answers the question.
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:18 pm

See, I thought they were illegal, but then I saw that video . . . I guess he just better hope he doesn't get caught.
:roll:
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:40 pm

People keep them overseas. If you can find a non native species you are good. Now, it may be very difficult to import them, Im not sure.

http://www.jack-roovers-hummingbirds.nl/
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:02 am

On the original YouTube video it explains he only rehabbed and released it. The title here is misleading. Though technically even doing that is still illegal without the federal rehab permit.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Hummingbirds seem to be a challenge as pets XD
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:39 pm

My family has kept some--usually just for a day though. We find them in our garage dehydrated all the time. They get really weak and then just kind of lay on the ground. We give them some sugar water after that, and they usually perk right up. It's really fun having them for the little while though.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:52 pm

That's really cool, Ash. My mom's favorite animal is a hummingbird and I was thinking of surprising her with one. I began researching their needs and I think they're much too high maintenance to be kept as pets by the average person.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:25 pm

Are they legal to keep? I'd love to keep hummingbirds. They don't seem very noisy. But I thought they were migratory. I've never seen one in the winter. If they're legal, I so want one. :mrgreen:
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:53 pm

All native migratory birds in the US are illegal unless you have a license of some sort. Too bad though, they're so beautiful.

ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:10 am

That's what I thought. That's why it surprised me and I asked if they were legal. I was pretty sure they weren't: because of the migratory birds act. It sucks though. I think they're SO cute. Tiny birds are so pretty.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:50 am

Yeah, I forgot they were illegal when I mentioned getting one for my mom. o_O

ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:35 am

Exotic humming birds that do not migrate through the USA would be okay, though double check the list to be sure there seem to be a few exceptions. But legal doesn't mean wise. You would probably need to order a bunch as most would die from the shipping stress.

http://birding.about.com/od/birdprofile ... -Pictures/
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:17 pm

That's so sad that they die from shipping stress so easily :(

ImageImage
bailee

Postby bailee » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:55 pm

We had a hummingbird get in our garage and get stuck to fly tape once. My mom said we would have to put it out of it's misery because there was no way were were gunna get it off. But we did get the poor thing off with olive oil (I was gunna do all I could to save it!). Drove it to a rehab center then, but it died along the way :C They are definitely easily stressed.
    Sabriel (rabbit - male)
    Silas (rabbit - male)
    Solara (rabbit - female)
    Natasha (cat - female)
    Pepper (cat - female)
    Kiba (dog - male)
    Lady (dog - female)

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”