PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tawny Frogmouth

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tawny Frogmouth

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:43 pm

These are seriously the most adorable, beautiful birds on the planet.

I first encountered this species at Discovery Cove in Florida a long time ago on a family vacation. It was very sleepy and was letting people pet it. I was young at the time, so I forgot what the educator said it was. However, the other day I was searching and searching, and I finally found it and discovered its name. :)

Has anyone ever heard of any private individuals owning them? Quite a few zoos have them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BB

Re: Tawny Frogmouth

Postby BB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:52 am

Not really owning them but I have lots around my house preying on the green tree frogs.... :twisted:
One day I nearly stepped on one as he was sitting on the veranda and I walked through the door :shock: They are not really shy around here.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Haha! That's funny!

Do you think you could smuggle one to me, lol?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BB

Postby BB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:35 pm

icon_biggin.gif I always forget to take photos of them. I see them more in the dry season, so in a few months time I might think of it so at least you got a photo!
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Nightjars in general are adorable. Their family is part of of an order of birds including the hummingbirds and swifts and then several families of birds that look a lot like nightjars.

My favorite of these is the oilbird of South America, which is also the only bird that can echolocate.

Doesn't it just look so soft? In the wild they eat a diet of high-fat fruits, so it seems like you could try raising them on avacados and olives. Unfortunately, they nest in piles of their own guano, so breeding them would mean never cleaning their enclosures.

Also adorable are the owlet-nightjars, which look like owls crossed with falcons.

Like true nightjars they like to eat insects they catch on wing, making them in all likelihood a bit difficult to keep.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Wow! That oilbird is beautiful!

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”