PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Ravens in the UK

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lady Beta

Ravens in the UK

Postby Lady Beta » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:55 pm

I have always loved the idea of having a raven as a companion, that and a fox, a panther, shire horse, iguana, snake, fossa and a thylacine (unfortunately these cannot be found, the poor dears).

I live in England, and I was wondering if raven's are legal pets here, also I wanted to know what level of pet it would be? Difficult or average or easy to look after, and in comparison to your regular birdies.
BB

Re: Ravens in the UK

Postby BB » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:25 pm

I think a raven is not too hard to look after, but they need a lot of stimulus, so if you don't have too much time on your hands he might turn out more mischievous as the already are...
I don't know the laws in England, maybe Elina can help; I knew a few people which had them in Europe, so I can't see why not.
BB

Postby BB » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Welcome to the forum, BTW! :piggy:

I've just been to Tasmania, and it is really bad down there regarding Rednecks.
It was the Government itself which put a bounty on the Tassie Tiger, and everyone is naturally shoot happy down there.
They say they seen sightings, but seeing it for myself which impact they made on the landscape (very! log-happy too) I doubt very much they are still around...
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi, and welcome!

I too do hope that thylacines are still out there. I think that would be the coolest thing ever if they were.

Not sure about the laws regarding ravens, but I know there are some currently for sale. I think they're mostly in America though, but if you're interested, I could post a link.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:34 am

Not sure if you're still on here, but I came across this ad for an African raven.

http://www.softbillsforsale.com/posts/6671_African_White_Necked_Raven.asp

If the UK is like the US, then birds aren't really all that regulated. I hope that's the case in the UK so you can get yerself a raven.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm on a corvid group with lots of UK owners. You can keep native corvids there. If you're interested in the group let me know. Maybe next time an orphan needs a home you can take it in.

In the US it is highly illegal to keep native birds. What you need to check there for non-native birds in UK is to see if they are DWA listed as needing permits.
kent24

Postby kent24 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:58 am

the UK is very strickt on british wild life!!! make sure the bird is close rung and bred by a good breeder and you will be fine you see them available now and again :)
Lady Beta

Postby Lady Beta » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Hello again! Long time no see!
I've finally decided that I will get a raven in the future, but only when and if I am stable and "hopefully" self employed/independent. I'm in college at the moment, so it'll be a few years until I'm ready.

But I do have new questions!
Does one need a license for owning a raven in the UK, and how/where does one find a breeder where they will sell you a chick that you can raise yourself. Apparently they imprint, so I would adore having a chicky that trusts me.
I'll most certainly study ravens (to an even further extent), bird rearing, training and all those kinds of things before even considering getting one. I wouldn't want to be an incompetent mother to a highly intelligent bird.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated~
Elina

Postby Elina » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:09 am

I have no idea about the laws regarding keeping Ravens BUT there was one for sale on a UK based forum a while ago, maybe the seller could help you.

http://exotickeepersforum.co.uk/phpBB3/ ... ven#p30322
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Delight

Postby Delight » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:26 am

I don't know a whole lot about owning ravens persay BUT I have raised a crow. She was SMART, very very smart. They're a different kind of smart than a parrot though, much more mischievious! My crow had me trained. She would cry for me at 5am, I would go inside then take her out doors and let her fly then I'd go back inside. She would sit in the trees and yell for me when she wanted back inside (usually around 6:30am) I'd let her back inside and she would go for her dog food (I fed her high quality wet dog food, mixed with vitamins and calcium for her staple food.) She would grab her dog food cans and fling them onto the floor until I came in and fixed her food up so she could eat. After she ate she would want to bathe, so she'd go sit on top of the nozzle to the sink and yell for me to turn it on, then she'd bathe and after she was done she'd go fly to above the heater to dry off. After she was dry she'd want back outside and I'd let her back out. She'd hang out there for a while and eventually she'd start yelling for me to come outside so I'd go outside and she'd fly onto my back and we'd go forage the apple orchard for bugs, vegitation and also have fun playing with eachother. When ever she heard me start the shower she would always start yelling for me to let her in, so I'd go bring her inside and she'd shower with me then sit above me and clean & dry herself, she liked to hang out and fluff her feathers all up and make herself look like a big black puff ball. She loved anything metal, she used to steal the silverware and fly it up on top of the house and stash it on the roof where no one could get to it (found TONS of spoons/forks and some other odd metal objects on the roof when we re-roofed the house.) All in all she was the most amazing bird I have ever had the pleasure of spending time with and I miss her very very much (she's still alive just no longer very tame, she adopted a local flock and has babies every year which she fledges onto the roof of the house.) I raised her to learn to take care of herself and she did an amazing job of it. The last day I ever touched her was my 18th birthday - she was 5 months old and had been living outdoors for close to a month and a half. I had woken up at around 8am to a bunch of ruckus outside and walked out my front door to find every tree withen nearest range to the house was completely black with crows, all of which were yelling quite loudly. I stook on the front poarch for about 4 minutes in awe at the sight. Never more (the crow) flew down to me out of this huge flock and landed on my arm like I taught her. I petted her and she rubbed her head around in my hand while I scratched her neck. Then she looked straight at me and flew off, the rest of the flock followed her and I never have been able to touch her since.
Lady Beta

Postby Lady Beta » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:39 pm

That's such a beautiful story Delight! It does make me realise that corvids, like ravens and crows, are very bossy with similar want of attention like that of a toddlers.
Ravens, and very closely crows, are the most intelligent birds. C: It's great that your crow got to join her own kind by the end, even if it means you don't get to be with her, but it's really only right that companions get a chance to be with their own.
Stormwalker

Postby Stormwalker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:50 am

I'd also love any information anyone has pertaining to owning ravens in the UK. It's something I've thought about a LOT in recent years, ad have decided to go for it. However, I've come across next to nothing in information for purchasing/owning raven chicks in the UK. Very frustrating :o(
Calling Cthulhu...
BB

Postby BB » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Wow, delight, what a story! I can't believe I missed it since it was posted ages ago.....

Stormwalker, maybe you can check with a wildlife center, caring for injured or orphan wildlife? Or even vets?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:34 pm

It's legal so you could buy one or rescue one. I'm not sure who sells them over there though. There are many from the UK on the group link I gave. People seem to mostly rescue crows and rooks.
Stormwalker

Postby Stormwalker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks for the advice BB, I had looked into it but sadly near me there are no centres that care for ravens, and that's the extent of my focus. I've had experience with raptors and falcons in the past but found them rather too much 'all work and no play' for my liking. I find there's an inherent aggressiveness to them that just isn't me.

It's sad the level of ignorance that exists toward these incredible Corvids in the UK. People tend to get quite holier than thou about owning them too, usuallly espousing the 'wildlife should remain wild' buzzwords and berating anyone who would imprison another creature for their own amusement. Typically these people are usually owners of some other form of exotic wildlife themselves, which serves only to highlight their ignorance and hypocrisy. Don't get me wrong, irresponsible people abound in exotic pet ownership, as they do in more mainstream pets. It's purely a matter of statistics I'm sure you'll agree. Many an animals life has been ruined because some arrogant human thought they were a 'cool idea at the time'.

This had me a little downhearted at first, as I thought I'd be met with scorn and treated as a pariah for wanting to own a raven, but after delving a little more into the care of these wonderful Corvids, I've come across some real tearjerkers from people who've been companions to several of the genus within the species. And it strengthens my conviction that owning a raven is the right choice, as I know they will challenge and stimulate me as no other feathered friend ever has :o)
Calling Cthulhu...

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”