Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

hybrid cockatoo?

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

nicoeflein

hybrid cockatoo?

Postby nicoeflein » Fri May 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Hello,
I have a small flock of indoor birds (Sun conure, parakeet, cockatiel, 2 lovebirds, and 2 Cockatoos) and the newest addition is an oddly-marked crest Cockatoo. I have one crazy Sulfur Crested already, and found her a friend so she has 24/7 company. By the way that is the best idea I ever had about screaming, she hasn't screamed once with her new friend. This new friend is a claimed (rescue) lesser Sulfur crested. He is a tad ragged looking, he started plucking at his last home, and since then his new feathers are doing great. The only problem is that I don't think that he is a true Sulfur Crested, of any kind.
His crest is a thin Umbrella cockatoo shape/length, and with a lot of yellow. He has the Umbrella face and his crest rises like an Umbrella. But that crest is thin like a Sulfur Crested, and too much yellow is in it to be Umbrella.
So I am wondering if people have heard of hybridizing an Umbrella to a Sulfur Crested? I bet it has happened, but how common is it? Thanks.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hybrid cockatoo?

Postby pat » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:15 am

sorry no one answered. maybe the answer is not known icon-sad

can you post a picture?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Noahlady1

Postby Noahlady1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

I am trying to find an answer to a similiar question. Someone just asked me if you can/ if it is possible/ to breed a Moluccan Cockatoo to an Umbrella Cockatoo. I would think they could breed but I do not know what you would get. Frankly, I don't think it is a good idea as I believe the breeds should be kept pure and not hybrid. Does anyone know what you would get and if babies would be healthy? Thanks for any responses.
Lycrisa

Postby Lycrisa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Technically those are separate species and not breeds for one so I doubt it can be done outside of a lab. Secondly I disagree with you. Keeping breeds strictly pure without any out-crossing at all is detrimental to the breed at very least, and at very worst could lead to it dying out.
You need a larger gene pool, if you don't have one after a few generations fertility drops.
After that it's only a matter of time before it gets so bad you don't get any puppies at all.
Same for any species.

Personally, having a lifetime of experience with cockatoos, I really highly doubt a natural hybrid is possible.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:38 pm

I have seen several hybrid cockatoos. umbrella and the yellow crested toos will readily interbreed, as will most.

here is one example of goffin hybrid
http://pets.oodle.com/view/sulfur-crest ... ngsley-mi/
Noahlady1

Postby Noahlady1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 pm

Thank you Lycrisa and Lasergrl for your input and website. I appreciate it. Hope this answers Nicoeflein's original question also.

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”