HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PLEASE READ THIS REGARDING TOXIC DOG FOOd viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1463

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 (with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.) FREE TO USE.
(PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE, YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

hybrid cockatoo?

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

nicoeflein

hybrid cockatoo?

Postby nicoeflein » Fri May 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Hello,
I have a small flock of indoor birds (Sun conure, parakeet, cockatiel, 2 lovebirds, and 2 Cockatoos) and the newest addition is an oddly-marked crest Cockatoo. I have one crazy Sulfur Crested already, and found her a friend so she has 24/7 company. By the way that is the best idea I ever had about screaming, she hasn't screamed once with her new friend. This new friend is a claimed (rescue) lesser Sulfur crested. He is a tad ragged looking, he started plucking at his last home, and since then his new feathers are doing great. The only problem is that I don't think that he is a true Sulfur Crested, of any kind.
His crest is a thin Umbrella cockatoo shape/length, and with a lot of yellow. He has the Umbrella face and his crest rises like an Umbrella. But that crest is thin like a Sulfur Crested, and too much yellow is in it to be Umbrella.
So I am wondering if people have heard of hybridizing an Umbrella to a Sulfur Crested? I bet it has happened, but how common is it? Thanks.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hybrid cockatoo?

Postby pat » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:15 am

sorry no one answered. maybe the answer is not known icon-sad

can you post a picture?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Noahlady1

Postby Noahlady1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

I am trying to find an answer to a similiar question. Someone just asked me if you can/ if it is possible/ to breed a Moluccan Cockatoo to an Umbrella Cockatoo. I would think they could breed but I do not know what you would get. Frankly, I don't think it is a good idea as I believe the breeds should be kept pure and not hybrid. Does anyone know what you would get and if babies would be healthy? Thanks for any responses.
Lycrisa

Postby Lycrisa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Technically those are separate species and not breeds for one so I doubt it can be done outside of a lab. Secondly I disagree with you. Keeping breeds strictly pure without any out-crossing at all is detrimental to the breed at very least, and at very worst could lead to it dying out.
You need a larger gene pool, if you don't have one after a few generations fertility drops.
After that it's only a matter of time before it gets so bad you don't get any puppies at all.
Same for any species.

Personally, having a lifetime of experience with cockatoos, I really highly doubt a natural hybrid is possible.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:38 pm

I have seen several hybrid cockatoos. umbrella and the yellow crested toos will readily interbreed, as will most.

here is one example of goffin hybrid
http://pets.oodle.com/view/sulfur-crest ... ngsley-mi/
Noahlady1

Postby Noahlady1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 pm

Thank you Lycrisa and Lasergrl for your input and website. I appreciate it. Hope this answers Nicoeflein's original question also.

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”