Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link below.
also, when you use ebates, you should go there first, then select the store you want shop online. this will ensure you get paid. (however, as I mentioned, there should be a drop down menu at the top also)

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Toucans!

Small to Medium size Birds. Hawks, Owls, Chicken, Ducks, Finches, Parrots Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Talys

Toucans!

Postby Talys » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Hey everyone! So I just fell in love with toucans and have begun some research on them. I think, Ash, was talking a little about them...well anyways, I found a helpful site; supposedly they bred some of Disney's Animal Kingdom's birds. This is their care sheet, somewhat redundant but it followed what I had previously read so here ya go!
http://www.emeraldforestbirds.com/CareSheet.htm
Also, if I could get a bit of insight into whether they are sound in their claims, thanks!
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Toucans!

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Yep, I love toucans! :lol:

They make excellent pets. They are extremely affectionate and loving animals. You can teach them to do all different kinds of tricks. Supposedly they will be content to sit in your lap at times and "purr."

A plus is that they are QUIET unlike macaws. Their beaks also aren't dangerous at all--they can't even squish a grape well.

If you watch some youtube videos on pet toucans you'll see how great they can be.

My favorite toucan species is the keel-billed toucan. They have rainbow beaks. Toco toucans are pretty too as well as Swainsons.

The site you have listed is actually where I will buy my toucan from when the time is right and I've got the money for one. I haven't dealt with them personally, but I would say that they are quite reliable.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Talys

Postby Talys » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Awesome! I hadn't even thought about youtube videos yet! I love the keel-billed and Swainsons best. The rainbow beaks just get me! Thanks for the insight; I began looking around for rough estimates of how much the birds alone cost and found them to be $4000 ballpark. But is that for a hand-raised youngsters as well (which I heard you add on another $200)?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:43 pm

I think they're roughly the same in price, whether hand-raised or mother-raised. With a hand-raised chick you get a great pet, but with a mother-raised chick you can have a breeder. They can't be pet quality and breeders at the same time. So I would almost say breeder quality toucans in some ways are the more valuable of the two. But in general prices come out to be around the same I think. Maybe some breeders charge an additional fee for hand-raised chicks.

Differences in price probably depend on whom you're getting them from. In general $4000, as you said, is the cost of a keel-billed. Sometimes you can find them cheaper, but not by too much. If you did, the difference would probably be only around $500. Now Toco toucans are extremely expensive--I think up to $10000 if I remember right. I think Swainson's on average tend to be more expensive than keel-billed ones.

The thing I love about toucans is that they are legal to keep almost anywhere. I have yet to find a place that doesn't allow them, but to be honest, I've only looked up a few states' laws in regards to the legalities. California allows them, so that's a good sign. They're cool animals because they are certainly exotic and not many people even know you can own one. So you would not only get a beautiful and affectionate pet, but also a really unique one.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Talys

Postby Talys » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Hmmm so definitely I'd be choosing between the Russian foxes that Zebrafox is getting and the toucans...*sigh* xD I'd definitely settle for the keel-billed if it comes down to the price. I wonder if they're legal in Pennsylvania (not that it matters too much because I'm looking at Florida for the future). If you did get one, which I certainly hope you do, will you keep the toucan inside or outside?

I'm just getting so into these guys! I never realized what a gem they are in the bird world, and now that I have, I'm astounded the lack of people that have realized it!

Another situational aspect is having at least one fox, a BBS, and a toucan-or at least that's the dream right now. How will Fable react to the bird becoming part of it's life...although I suppose they could stay completely apart...

Ahem! Sorry kinda thinking aloud. This is all so new and exciting!
Talys

Postby Talys » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:52 am

Update: I'm in LOVE! Having started to read the "Toucan Tales" on the site, these little guys just warm my heart! :piggy:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:34 pm

I would keep pet quality ones indoors unless the climate is consistently warm. Someday I would like to have an aviary of sorts, and then I would put him/her outside when the weather was nice. Toucans at zoos don't have enormous enclosures; they're a decent size: not too small, not too big, so that's a good thing.

I've come to the conclusion that most of my pets are going to have to be separate. I don't see that as a downside though. It's not as hard to keep animals apart as most people think. True, it would be easiest if all the animals just got along, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

I like introducing Fable to other animals as long as he can't get to them. I can also read him well and kind of know what he's thinking. When he was little, he really enjoyed being around my parents' finch and cockatiel, but I wouldn't ever let him around them anymore. So the toucan and Fable would have to be kept apart. Even if he was nice to the bird, there's too much money at stake to risk the toucan getting hurt (plus it would be really sad if something bad happened).

I really want to get a "craven" (crow/raven hybrid) and I've wondered if it could get along well with a toucan if it was raised with it. Toucans are pretty docile, so I would be more worried about the crow picking on the other. Both birds are super smart, so if they were able to get along I think they could entertain each other.

I'm sure you can own a toucan in PA, but it's always best to double-check just to be 100% sure. You can have them in Florida with no problem.
Talys

Postby Talys » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Oh that makes complete sense; I guess I'm just worried about space being available to keep both species entertained and to be fair to both of them. Yeah, I made note of the indoor enclosure size verses outdoor size, although it seems that with a toucan, most of the time, an interactive perch works well since they accompany their family around when people are home.

I read on Jerry's site that toucans may live with another bird, but not always. But I would definitely think the crow would cause the bird to be provoked.

Also, I wanted to compare pellet mixes to the Mazuri sold at EFBG, and the only one I found to be anywhere close to as good as the former is the Zupreem fruit flavor blend. The major problem I have with it is that I want to know how much citric acid in it and that it may not have the right amount of iron.

Thanks so much for letting me bounce all of this around! It's really awesome to have someone else interested in them!
Talys

Postby Talys » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:55 pm

That's a pretty high price for a keel-billed, I think. The other ones seem "standard," but I always thought keel-billeds were around $4000. I'll keep my eyes open and see what people are selling them for when I look around at classifieds.
Talys

Postby Talys » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:09 pm

That's what I thought as well, although he could possibly have changed his prices since 2007. I just don't trust the classifieds I've been going through as much.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Wow, I've always been interested in toucans but now, because of you saying they make great pets, I'm REALLY interested. Also, if they're quieter than macaws, that would probably be a better match for me
blacksagephoenix

Toucans!

Postby blacksagephoenix » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:49 pm

I wish they weren't so expensive. :(
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
Ciaobella

Postby Ciaobella » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm really interested in a toucan with my move coming up I'd love to own one in the very near future. Anyone have any experience with them? Or a link to a care sheet?
Was Cierpke, lost password xD
Talys

Postby Talys » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:24 pm

The link posted in the top post is the care sheet I found on the site I'm looking at for purchasing one in the future. The site also has customer stories, called Toucan Tails, that I found very worthwhile to read as well as heartwarming.

Return to “BIRDS- Domestic, Raptors, all birds”