ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

yaks?

Hoofed animals not listed in this forum

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Botat

yaks?

Postby Botat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:14 pm

Are yaks easy to train? Is there any breeders in utah? thanks! :piggy:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: yaks?

Postby Ash » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:49 pm

I'm pretty sure yes. I'll check and see if I can find anyone. I know there are a lot of people who keep them and things like that. I'll look around and see if someone breeds them. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Botat

Postby Botat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:24 pm

thanks sounds great! :peng:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:57 pm

I found this breeder:

Pak Yak, Inc
Randy & Lou-Ann Merrell
3400 N 3500 W
Vernal, UT 84078
435-789-3397
rmerrell@sbtnet.com

They're close to the Eastern border. If I find anyone else, I'll let ya know! :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Botat

Postby Botat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:16 pm

thank you so much
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:43 pm

I'm not sure where you live, but Texas is relatively close (that is, closer than most states, haha) to Utah. I think there are quite a few yak breeders there. I ran across this ad though in case it helps!

http://exoticanimalsforsale.net/sale/2677_Gemsbok_Pairs_5400.asp
Botat

Postby Botat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Quick update on the yak post, I now have two heifers. I will see if i can post pictures later. Yaks eat 1/4 the amount of cattle and have a lot more personality. They are more playful and are friendly when handled from a young age. One of my heifers was from a large range and the only interaction she had with people was getting rounded up in a corral. I have gotten her tamed down since then. There are more photos and info on yak on the website : Iyak.org
wadifahtook

Postby wadifahtook » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 am

I'm so glad you got some! I'm hoping to one day own a pair of royals for packing, hauling, and general cuteness. Have you seen the mini cow/yak crosses? Great for petting zoos, and unbeatably adorable.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:55 am

I'd love to see some pics of your yaks, Botat!:)
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
prk22

Postby prk22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Yaks are such a great livestock animal to have on property. I, personally, think they are so efficient and low cost/have low carbon out put.

Beautiful wool...and depending on what you look for in your milk- great nutrients in the dairy category!
~Pätrick
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Can they be ridden?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
wadifahtook

Postby wadifahtook » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:22 pm

Yes. http://wavesofbliss.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... g.html?m=1 Cattle riding steers seem to be gaining in popularity in the US. I just saw a Holstein riding steer (very pretty) a few days ago that was equipped with western tack and was better trained than many horses I've seen.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:14 pm

For my beef cattle nutrition class I did a project where I wrote a summary paper and did a powerpoint presentation on a paper that covered a study done on yaks on the Tibetan-Qinghai plateau, and their different mechanisms of nitrogen utilization (which directly affects how much muscle they put on, which becomes meat).

Those yaks face 7 months of malnutrition because of the state of the pasture and the fact that Tibetan farmers can't afford to supplement very much conserved forage or grain, and yet they are not only still able to fulfill their maintenance needs, but also able to produce enough meat and milk that the Tibetan farmers are able to both feed themselves AND have a steady income. It's really quite amazing. At the end of the presentation, I had to talk about practical applications of this research and so I mentioned that yaks might be a better choice than cattle in places such as Northern Canada. This is personally important for me because i want to be able to get a large enough amount of acreage to support a small farm, horses, and large exotic enclosures (possibly a zoo, that's still an option), but that's not really available south of North Bay (at least, affordably) so I've been looking at Northern Ontario.

Anyway, I rambled; point is, yaks are awesome
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:31 am

Wow, that is really amazing! Maybe everyone should switch to yaks.

ImageImage

Return to “OTHER Hoofed ANIMALS”