please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Which animal would you rather have?

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Which would you rather have?

Alaskan wolf
17%
Spotted Hyena
11%
Cheetah
37%
Wolverine
No votes
Snow leopard
11%
Horse
6%
Camel
3%
Liger
No votes
Lion
No votes
African Grey Parrot
14%

Total votes: 35
Splashstorm

Which animal would you rather have?

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:56 pm

Just a random poll of 10 animals I want. icon-smile
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which animal would you rather have?

Postby Ash » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Definitely a spotted hyena.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Definitely a wolf,though not necessarily an Alaskan subspecies.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:44 am

Most assuredly a cheetah. Not usually a cat person, but there's something about cheetahs.

Too bad they were bumped up to a Class I animal in Florida. ):
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm surprised the cheetah has so many votes. O_O
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:04 pm

I was deciding between cheetah and snow leopard - I think a snow leopard would be exceptionally cool, and I like them very much...but I have seen and read about cheetahs actually making excellent companions. They seem to make very good pets, so I guess I would have to choose that over an often anti-social, potentially more destructive, harder to care for, albiet beautiful, animal. (Not that snow leopards are exactly those, nor the cheetah being none of those, but in comparison to one another, probably.) :)
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:05 am

Must have been a while since I voted on this.
I voted cheetah it seems, but I would definitely pick camel today. (Even though I would want a cheetah as well.)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Sun May 24, 2015 10:52 pm

If I had the money to start a private zoo, a pack of spotted hyenas would be high on my list. They're fascinating animals. But they're social animals, meaning you'd need more than one, unless you were trying to raise it as a housepet. And a spotted hyena is definitely not something I'd keep as a housepet, though I understand that some people do.

So the only thing on this list that I could see keeping as a pet is a gray parrot. Mind, I don't really want one. They're very intelligent, which means they need a lot of space, a lot of toys, and a lot of attention, or they develop behavioral problems. But I see so many people on Craigslist who got one and then figured out everything I just said about them afterwards, and I feel so bad for the birds every time. I periodically consider adopting one, and periodically tell myself that while I might do a better job than the bird's current owner (at least I know what I'm getting into), I still probably wouldn't do a good job.

Nothing else on that list is even something I would even put in my fantasy private zoo. I mostly like small animals which are taxonomically and/or socially interesting. (Spotted hyenas are larger than most animals which interest me. However their social behavior is such that they interest me nonetheless.)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Apparently I voted cheetah on this but may have been a missclick. Cheetahs make great pets but I'd love a wolverine it's just not actually possible to get one.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Mon May 25, 2015 12:16 am

Why is it not possible to obtain a wolverine? Is it illegal, or is it just that nobody breeds them?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 25, 2015 12:35 am

A bit of both. They are endangered in my state but federally are only listed as threatened. But also they are much harder to breed in captivity than pandas. There's been hardly any success at all. Even in the wild only about 50% of females who mate successfully have young.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 25, 2015 9:14 pm

Spotted hyenas are really, really awesome, and you can own those in Texas! :icon-wink:

I don't know of anyone (except some guy on Fatal Attractions) who has ever kept a hyena as a "house pet." That just wouldn't work and would be stupid, lol. People who have them keep them in outdoor enclosures once they are grown. I'd hate to have to deal with not only the marking, but the pasting... Gross.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Mon May 25, 2015 10:06 pm

I think that pretty much any animal which can fit in a house and has been kept in captivity has seen at least one person attempt to keep it as a house pet.

I learned about the guy who kept a spotted hyena as a housepet from this Melissa Smith article on Fatal Attractions. Apparently a male model in Florida kept one in his apartment, thereby confirming the worst stereotypes about both models and Floridians.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 25, 2015 10:14 pm

Yeah, that just doesn't make exotic owners look responsible. You get one person keeping a tiger/hyena/bear in their apartment, and then everybody gets blamed for their stupidity. And the public thinks we're all like that. :roll:

The owner of the spotted hyena seemed like a caring, good owner--just not ready or responsible. If he thought he could keep it in an apartment, then someone wasn't thinking straight, lol. I like that he still regularly visits his hyena though and that they still share a strong bond. I kind of hope that one day when he gets his own property he'll be able to try again--this time with legalities sorted out and an enclosure.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue May 26, 2015 5:52 am

The hyena was moved to a sanctuary, and as Ash says, the ex-owner frequently visits him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdljhlvm2G8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tej89gtf5o8
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.

Return to “POLLS”