PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

which dog is a better pet

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

which dog makes a better pet

Doberman pinscher
57%
German shepherd
43%

Total votes: 7
cj_0512

Re: which dog is a better pet

Postby cj_0512 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:34 am

Again thank you all so much for the input. We will definitely be getting the dog from a breeder. Every dog I have ever owned has either been rescued or purchased from a breeder. I am still not 100% sure on my decision but I think I am kind of learning towards a doberman just from what I have learned. We will probably be getting the dog in the next year so I will definitely post pics :)
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Jen Jen wrote:
Juska wrote:...with the right training from the very beginning, you could have almost any dog be a happy house pet without any extreme exercise or training.

That is true enough, but there are breeds more suited to certain familes than others. I wouldn't recommend a small, fragile, nippy breed to a family with small grabby children; or a high energy dog to a family of couch potatoes. No level of training will make that a good fit, unless the family drastically changes for the dog.

That's why I said almost :icon-wink: I was referring to, generally, popular types of dogs that people get for pets, which includes German Shepherds. I suppose I could have changed "dog" to "breed" in that sentence.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
cj_0512

Postby cj_0512 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Again thank you all for the input it is extremely helpful. The other thing is the dog needs to be good with other dogs and other animals in general. The dog will be ou of the house with us a lot interacting with other people as well so it must be a social dog.

I think I am leaning towards a doberman just because of my research and what I have learned. What do you guys think?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:54 pm

cj_0512 wrote:Again thank you all for the input it is extremely helpful. The other thing is the dog needs to be good with other dogs and other animals in general. The dog will be ou of the house with us a lot interacting with other people as well so it must be a social dog.

I think I am leaning towards a doberman just because of my research and what I have learned. What do you guys think?

I know that dobermans commonly have aggression toward other dogs--particularly toward dogs of the same sex or littermates. So keep in mind that if you do decide on a doberman, maybe getting a younger one would be best so you could socialize it with a bunch of other pets while it was still little. Or look for a rescue that has been tried and tested with other dogs and has passed successfully.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:27 pm

A friend of mine with two boys around 12-13 and a Chihuahua has a Doberman, Ruby; she's a little clumsy but she's gentle with the Chi and the kids. I've never heard of them having dog aggression, but it sounds plausible enough. Being prepared and socializing a lot either way is a good idea!
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
cj_0512

Postby cj_0512 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Yes socializing the dog is something my family enforces and every dog we have had has been very friendly except for one rescued pitbull but his previous owners abused him so that was not his fault
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Juska wrote:A friend of mine with two boys around 12-13 and a Chihuahua has a Doberman, Ruby; she's a little clumsy but she's gentle with the Chi and the kids. I've never heard of them having dog aggression, but it sounds plausible enough. Being prepared and socializing a lot either way is a good idea!

Yeah, I hadn't realized either until I did some deeper research. I was on a doberman forum a while back, and they had a bunch of stories about introductions between dogs and advising about keeping certain ones with other dogs. I think most are pretty good around other dogs, but dog aggression is something to look out for in the breed. So more just something to be aware of and to prepare for.

Have you seen the youtube videos with Ramsey and Pablo? They're great. It's a doberman and a chihuahua. A little later the owner gets a pitbull, and they have a bunch of super cute videos uploaded with lots of views. It's obvious in the videos that Pablo (the chihuahua) runs the household though!

For fun you should look up some schutzhund videos. There are a lot of them with dobermans and german shepherds, so both of best worlds. It's a very amazing disciplined bite sport. Super cool to see, and it's amazing to watch such well-behaved and obedient dogs.

This is a cool training video with dobermans being trained to be canine actors for Resident Evil. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_D6JoFcAeE If I ever got a doberman, I want it to be as disciplined and well-mannered as these two. But it takes a lot of training, I'm sure.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
cj_0512

Postby cj_0512 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:11 pm

Wow those dogs are really impressive. Like I said I have a TINY bit of experience training dogs and by that I mean just teaching my household pets basic commands, nothing professional. I will not hesitate to say that I am not super knowledgeable about animals except for dogs, cats and birds but only because I was raised around them. And since I am so young (I am 14) there isn't a whole lot I can do experience wise with exotic animals. When I grow up I already know I am going to do something with animals. And in the three days that I have been a member of this site I have already learned so much so I intend to stay on the path I am and continue "working" with animals. So thank you guys for not telling me I'm stupid or anything like that because I know its pretty obvious I don't know what I'm talking about lol :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:19 pm

cj_0512 wrote:Wow those dogs are really impressive. Like I said I have a TINY bit of experience training dogs and by that I mean just teaching my household pets basic commands, nothing professional. I will not hesitate to say that I am not super knowledgeable about animals except for dogs, cats and birds but only because I was raised around them. And since I am so young (I am 14) there isn't a whole lot I can do experience wise with exotic animals. When I grow up I already know I am going to do something with animals. And in the three days that I have been a member of this site I have already learned so much so I intend to stay on the path I am and continue "working" with animals. So thank you guys for not telling me I'm stupid or anything like that because I know its pretty obvious I don't know what I'm talking about lol :)

Nah, nobody thinks you're stupid or anything. :) We all had to start somewhere. We may have our individual interests where we've researched more and know a little more than others, but we've all still got lots to learn. I ask some pretty dumb questions sometimes, but I feel like I learn something new each time I ask them. I've read a lot and talked to a lot of people with experience around exotics. But other than reading/talking I really only have practical experience with foxes and small snakes. And I still struggle and ask questions. So no worries. All questions are good questions. :)
cj_0512

Postby cj_0512 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Haha thanks so much :) after all the whole reason I joined this site was to learn more from experienced people.

Return to “POLLS”