PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Dumpster Diving

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Do You Ever Dumpster Dive?

Yes! Love going!
27%
Tried it once or twice but not for me.
No votes
No, but I really want to give it a go.
7%
If I see something good while passing by but otherwise no
27%
No, I've never thought about it one way or the other.
13%
No! Too gross!
20%
No! Afraid of getting arrested, injured or other.
7%

Total votes: 15
minervasden

Dumpster Diving

Postby minervasden » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:12 am

Have you ever gone dumpster diving or just saw something great while passing by and stopped to grab it? Share your thoughts and any good stories or great finds. Don't forget to vote.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Minty

Re: Dumpster Diving

Postby Minty » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:21 am

I was raised to be thrifty, and as the saying goes: One man's trash is another man's treasure! Once my mom and I got a nice cat tower doing this.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:35 pm

LOVE repurposing old stuff, making new stuff from old stuff, anything like that. Waste is the enemy! :D
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:17 am

I think it's fun, especially when you find something nice. I lived in a college town for around 2 years, and my roomies would go dumpster diving at restaurants, lol. They always brought back such delicious stuff. Sometimes they'd share.

I look for stuff that people throw out on the side of the road. Like couches. We got one of our couches that way (I'm sitting on it right now, lol).
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:20 am

seems too dirty for me. my luck, all I would find would be dirty diapers and anything that is disgusting.

however, a friend of mine will dumpster dive, I was with him one time, he found a couple writing tablets that still had a lot of good paper in it.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:47 pm

pat wrote: my luck, all I would find would be dirty diapers and anything that is disgusting.

Well, that's why you should stay out of the daycare center dumpster :icon-wink:

I live by a charity shop so I'm always glancing in the dumpster as I pass by. A lot of charity/thrift stores, especially the small ones, don't have much storage space and so throw out good stuff. The shop by me doesn't sell furniture or large items so the best find so far was a small dog size soft sided doghouse. There were no stains, dirt or odor. There was some minor amount dog hair on the roof. The label said surface wash only but I took a chance on the washing machine and some bleach. Came through fine even the color. My cats say :mrgreen:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:16 pm

Well, that's why you should stay out of the daycare center dumpster
:lol:

geez, never thought of looking in the thrift store dumpster. but, wouldn't the employees throw their garbage in there too?

the dumpsters are usually in the back of the store, I guess I get paranoid that someone would think I am trying to break in.
my luck, I would get arrested for stealing garbage :lol:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:49 pm

pat wrote:geez, never thought of looking in the thrift store dumpster. but, wouldn't the employees throw their garbage in there too?

The employee trash is in tied up trash bags while everything else is just dumped in. It would vary from place to place but usually the 'trash trash' is in tied up bags.
hecate

Postby hecate » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:51 am

You left out "Only to recover evidence." ;-)
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:07 pm

For the most part, no, but sometimes, I've seen furniture that is not in the dumpster, like chairs or couches, and have vague thoughts of trying to bring them home but then think that there is probably something wrong with them since people thew them out and get really paranoid that maybe a murder took place on them (I watched too many crime investigation shows growing up.) and end up not taking the furniture. But as for stuff actually in the dumpster, where I'd have to touch the trash, no, never, as that really, really grosses me out.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:57 pm

Nope. Too much risk of bed bugs.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:03 am

I wouldn't pull furniture out of the trash, but if it was in good shape on the side of the road, then yeah. :) That's actually where me and my sister's furniture came from, lol, since we were both poor college students not long ago. Always grossed me out at first, imagining what other people eating on them, sleeping on them, hair getting on them, pets peeing on them... (that comes with being an OCD clean freak, I guess).

But my mom and sister would always clean them up first. Even then I usually wouldn't use any of them for several weeks until I got my brain used to it.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “POLLS”