PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Which Of These Animals Is The Least High Maintenance Pet?

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lowest Maintenance Pet

Prehensile Tailed Porcupine
33%
Sloth
No votes
Egyptian Fruit Bat
33%
Galago
No votes
Ruffed Lemur
No votes
Marmoset or Tamarin
No votes
Four Eyed Opossum
33%
Binturong
No votes

Total votes: 3
The Herper

Which Of These Animals Is The Least High Maintenance Pet?

Postby The Herper » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:49 pm

All of these animals are fairly high- maintenance, but comparatively, which one makes for the best pet?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which Of These Animals Is The Least High Maintenance Pet

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:10 pm

Kind of a tough question to answer. Especially since if an animal can be kept outdoors, the actual "cleaning" is going to be less since you won't be cleaning up urine. And while one animal may be easier for a particular person to care for, it may not be for another person.

That being said... I still marked Egyptian fruit bats, but that's mostly because they are small and don't need huge enclosures like the other animals listed. From what I've been told by owners of Egyptian fruit bats, they aren't so bad other than being very messy in their cages and needing to be cleaned up after often. They need to be kept in a group of at least two though since they are highly social, colony animals. But they are messy.

Primates need a lot of cleaning and a lot of enrichment. So I personally would be more daunted by the idea of a primate. A sloth is a very fragile animal, so will require a lot of care and maintenance. Not even a good idea for most advanced keepers.

I don't know about the four-eyed possums so can't say anything about those.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Ash wrote:Primates need a lot of cleaning and a lot of enrichment. So I personally would be more daunted by the idea of a primate. A sloth is a very fragile animal, so will require a lot of care and maintenance. Not even a good idea for most advanced keepers.

Yep sloths are even more fragile keepers than tamandua and that's saying a lot. Definitely the most high maintenance on the list.

The primates listed are actually considered the least high maintenance of the primates though, well ringtailed lemures are better than brown though but yeah still high maintenance. I had close friends with ringtailed and the marmosets/tamarins. They are the only primates I would consider really probably only the ringtail really though. But yeah all primates are high maintenance but a ringtail is pretty darn easy as primates go.

I vote four-eyed opossum as being easiest of the bunch. Aside from diet they would be kinda easy and once you get a diet down and routine for that it wont be hard any more. Similar to keeping short tailed opossums or even rats.
The Herper

Postby The Herper » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:35 pm

I knew that sloths were sensitive to temperature & humidity, but I wasn't aware they had such a reputation.

@ TamanduaGirl, I thought about putting ringtails in instead of Ruffed lemurs, but I heard that ringtails can get quite aggressive, so I went for the more laid back Ruffed lemurs instead. Aren't males supposed to be more suitable pets?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Yeah the people I knew who had them as pets had males. They were really fat but great pets. They even went outside with them and they hung around.

He's long gone now but here's one of them. Go to the oldest video and work your way up till no more lemur https://www.youtube.com/user/mozimomma/videos

One good thing about them is they are actually good in public because it's in their nature to try and make friends when out of their territory because their instincts tell them to make friends since they need friends(a tribe) to survive.
The Herper

Postby The Herper » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:55 am

Neat videos!

I always thought that ringtails were supposed to be rambunctious, but your friend's animals seem so calm! Are they fixed?

Does fixing lemurs do any good?

PS: Do you happen to know anybody with Ruffed Lemurs by any chance?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:42 pm

Mo was not neutered and he was always good with her but when young he did bite her husband many times but he mellowed as he matured.

The other one was more dangerous to the other lady's husband until he was neutered then he would even sleep him. So yea a neutered male is best.

They are capable of some serious damage if they do attack so for that reason not really for a beginner as you'd want to be prepared if it does happen and be able to handle it but over all neutered males seem pretty awesome.
The Herper

Postby The Herper » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Just a quick bump. :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:46 am

I've been interested in binturongs, so did some research on them and read some articles. If they weren't so crazy expensive, I'd probably have one now! :lol:

They need to be kept in warm temperatures--so definitely cannot be outdoors during the wintertime, even with a heated shed. I've seen people keep them in the snow with a warm retreat, but from what I've read and been told, this is very bad for them. They can get frostbite on their feet very quickly and may not notice. So it's super important that they can be totally indoors if it gets chilly or cold during the wintertime.

If I got one, I would have to build two enclosures for it--an outdoor and an indoor depending on the time of year. And the indoor one would have to be in an insulated building if in the garage, which is where it would have to be for me. I have my Repti-house, but a binturong enclosure would definitely not be able to fit in it unless I did some crazy expansion. Maybe a 12x12x8' addition that could solely be for the binturong during winter months. My Repti-house is currently that size, and I am looking to double it, so hey, maybeeeee.... lol. (Not. :lol: Too expensive for now!)

But from what I have read and researched, hand-reared ones can be really great to work with and keep. They make wonderful ambassador animals because of this. They are one of the animals that are sometimes allowed to be interacted with by the public. They're a dream animal for many exotic keepers.

An outdoor enclosure eliminates a lot of the "high maintenance" aspect of keeping an exotic. Odor doesn't stick around usually, urine doesn't have to be cleaned, etc. All big parts of owning an animal.

They do need a varied diet since they are omnivores. Fruits, and whole prey, and bugs. So that can be difficult for someone to pay for and upkeep. Unless you were already raising your own feeders, you would need to find a reliable supplier. But it can get pricey (I know from experience keeping my few reptiles, lol).

Very cool animal though.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “POLLS”