PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Which legal exotic canine would you want as a pet?

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Exotic canid legal at the United States federal level that you want most as a pet?

Wolves or Wolfdogs
31%
Fennec Fox
13%
Red Fox
6%
Arctic Fox
6%
Other Foxes (Gray, Swift,etc.)
13%
Coyotes,Coywolves/Eastern Coyotes, or Coydogs
13%
Golden Jackals or Jackal-dog hybrids
No votes
Other Jackals (Black-backed Jackal or Side-striped Jackal)
6%
Dingo
13%
New Guinea Singing Dog
No votes

Total votes: 16
caninesrock

Which legal exotic canine would you want as a pet?

Postby caninesrock » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:33 pm

Ok, so I wanted to make a semi-realistic poll topic, so I didn't put anything considered endangered like Maned Wolves or invasive like Raccoon Dogs or even endangered and invasive like Dhole. Though, let's be honest, if given the chance and it was legal, I would own all 3 of those mentioned species, when I'm no longer living in an apartment with my mother that is. :wall:

So, anyways, I put only animals that are legal to own at the federal level in the US. I know raccoon dogs are legal in some other countries, but they aren't here in the US and I think most of the members here are from the US, so I didn't include the raccoon dogs in the poll.

I also know that many of these aren't legal at state levels for some of us here. For example, I can't have foxes or coyotes (not pure coyotes anyway) as long as I stay in Texas.

For the purpose of this poll, pretend like you have the resources to move to state that does allow all these animals, rather than not voting for an animal because its banned in the particular state you are in now. If you want, feel free to explain that you would get that animal if it weren't banned/ you moved somewhere were it wasn't banned, and say what animal you would get that was allowed since the animal you most wanted on the list was banned. Of course, you don't have to comment at all, but it would definitely be interesting to see everyone's responses. :icon-wink:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, as for me, I voted for Wolves or Wolfdogs. If I stayed here in Texas, I would get a high content wolfdog (in the distant future though when I own my own house and land obviously) or if I moved somewhere that allowed pure wolves, then I would get a pure wolf. I would also want a low or lower mid content wolfdog as well as I like the look of wolf mixed with dog, especially when it's a low/mid malamute mix.

Coyotes/coydogs would be a close second for me. Again, obviously, as long as I stay in Texas, no pure coyotes. But coydogs are fine, so if I could actually find any breeders, I would definitely want a high content coyote as long as I'd have a way to prove he/she wasn't pure so didn't break the laws and also a lower content more dog-like coydog as well, perferably mixed with a breed like Siberian Husky or Kelpie or possibly German Shepherd as I personally think those breeds have the most wild looks to them. Maybe even one of all 3.

My 3rd favorite would be the Golden Jackal or Golden Jackal dog cross. I think again, that it would great to have a pure golden jackal, which is one animal that I actually can have a pure of here for once :/, as well as a more doggy low or mid content jackal-dog mix. Obviously, I'd have to breed these myself since the only jackal dogs I know of are the Sulimov Dogs that belong to that airport company in Russia that won't sell them to anyone.

On another note, I think if I had the money/land, it would interesting to start up a wolfdog breeding facility that also breeds coydogs and jackal-dogs on the side. Not really sure how jackal dogs would do as pets though and I don't really know if there's much of a market for jackal dogs or coydogs like there is for wolfdogs.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which legal exotic canine would you want as a pet?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:55 pm

Well I'm actually getting a fennec fox, but have put it on hold due to Hyzzie's recent health, but if the babie's hadn't been eaten this spring probably would already have one and would have done the best I could but kinda better it didn't work out. Did get offered one from another breeder but it would be a horrible time to bring one home. Hyzzie needs me doting on her and the fennec would also need tons of attention and they both would get less than they need. But it is happening, just probably will be next spring instead at this point.

Would be interested in a black backed jackal or coyote as well but but not all that realistically.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:34 pm

It was between other fox and other jackal. Other fox won the coin toss. So vote is for Bat-eared fox.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:13 am

It was a tie between dingo and gray fox. I chose dingo cause I already have a red fox, bug I've always wanted a gray.. (:
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:26 am

Hard decision, lol. I figured I'd put down wolves since that's a good possibility in the future. I want everything though, and haven't really narrowed stuff down yet at all. So foxes, jackals, coyotes... Singers and dingoes I view as easier to acquire--at least on a state level for me.

Shoot, totally forgot about bat-eared fox until M mentioned it. May have to go back and change my vote to "other fox." :P
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:40 pm

Gray fox. They're supposedly rather cat-like in behavior and I am very much not a dog person. (Not really a cat person either; I like cats but have never contemplated getting one. All my life the only pets I've been interested in were non-traditional ones.) Gray foxes and fennec foxes are near the bottom of the "animals I might like to have" list, however none of the other animals in this poll appear on my list at all.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:51 pm

I'm really interested in gray fox. I'd love for someone that gets one to post a regular blog of all the care they need and what they are like. I've actually heard the opposite, that the gray is the most dog like and most personable/friendly but other than that it does not seem much has really been shared about them. Just "sound bites": the best fox species for a pet, very dog like.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:05 am

I mean, animals can be personable and friendly without being dog-like. A lot of parrot species are very personable, but no one would ever mistake them for a dog.

My issues with dogs are licking (with all the dog slobber; I like being licked by cats), the sniffing (with the nose going into intimate areas), and the going up to people they've never met and trying to win approval. Since I don't like dogs, they usually spend more time around me sniffing at and trying to lick me in order to win me over, which makes me like them less. This last issue is a result of the dominance hierarchy that dogs have; they're trying to submit to me and I don't want their submission.

I don't think any of those would be an issue with gray foxes. However the reason that red foxes don't appeal to me is that they seem to be far too energetic. I prefer animals that don't require me to be super-active.
KKM

Postby KKM » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:07 am

I have always wanted a wolf, though it's difficult to find high content breeders that will sell to the general public. I also love dingoes and NGSDs, but I think a big black timber wolf takes the cake.

I love foxes but I don't know if I could handle having it outside all the time (or marking my entire house). I chose a mink over a lot of other species I'd love to have because they can be kept indoors.
1.2 rabbits
0.1 campbell's dwarf hamster
1.0 dog
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:07 pm

I too would like to hear more about gray foxes as pets. I'm very curious about them and want to know more since I feel things keep getting repeated and thrown around about them without much actually proof to back things up. I know someone on facebook with a gray though and hers lives indoors, I believe. Also seems quite mellow. Might be that that individual fox works in that situation and maybe the majority don't. But I want there to be more owners so we can get more collective info.

KKM, it's actually not so bad having an outdoor pet even if it doesn't sound appealing at first. But to each his own. :) I like animals that live outdoors since I don't have to deal with the indoor mess. I enjoy having a clean "human den" to retreat to at the end of the day. That being said, I always daydream about having a fox sitting beside me while I worked on my computer.

Red foxes can be very, very hyper, but they calm down at about two years considerably. I don't know if that would make them as calm as you'd like, but it is something to keep in mind. :) Of course, they are still mischievous and a lot of work.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:05 pm

That's exactly my issue. I wouldn't want to get one, expecting a grate indoor pet, but have it be a terror and need an outdoor enclosure and not be prepared for that. But with fennecs I know the vast majority are kept as inside pets just fine and what to expect so they work for me for now.

The people I see with grays seem to only post some little tid bit every now and then. Did see someone post recently theirs likes car rides.

And to counter your one of a good inside pet a long time ago a member here had one and I believe also kept it inside. It was good apparently BUT later started attacking his sister when she visited, for no reason he knew of. Normally if a red gets aggressive, we'd say move it outside, but was that the issue with that gray or something else? We'll never know.

Without more info I'd not want to try getting one unless I was prepared to take on red fox level commitment with big out door enclosure and such. But they sound great in theory.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:59 am

Ash wrote:I too would like to hear more about gray foxes as pets. I'm very curious about them and want to know more since I feel things keep getting repeated and thrown around about them without much actually proof to back things up. I know someone on facebook with a gray though and hers lives indoors, I believe. Also seems quite mellow. Might be that that individual fox works in that situation and maybe the majority don't. But I want there to be more owners so we can get more collective info.

I know a few gray fox owners on Facebook as well. To my knowlegde, they keep them indoors, and evidently they're more inquisitive and cat-like than the reds.

One gray fox named Killua (I think?) is even 20+ pounds! He's enormous.

But yeah, other than the few owners on social media, there isn't much quality information about grays. :shrug:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:59 pm

Killua is 20 pounds!? No way.

I'm friends with Killua's owners, so that's where I get my gray info currently since they are very responsible, good owners.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:30 pm

KKM wrote:I have always wanted a wolf, though it's difficult to find high content breeders that will sell to the general public. I also love dingoes and NGSDs, but I think a big black timber wolf takes the cake.

I love foxes but I don't know if I could handle having it outside all the time (or marking my entire house). I chose a mink over a lot of other species I'd love to have because they can be kept indoors.

Its actually not as hard as you think, if you just know where to look.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:25 am

Ash wrote:Killua is 20 pounds!? No way.

I'm friends with Killua's owners, so that's where I get my gray info currently since they are very responsible, good owners.

It might not be Killua, there's a few other gray foxes I know of, and I could be mixing them up.

The fox I must be thinking of has a name that's starts with T, I think. I have a bad memory... But he's gorgeous! :lol:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).

Return to “POLLS”