PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Your Animal Experience Level

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

What is your animal experience level?

Dreamer
No votes
Beginner
19%
Intermediate to Experienced
63%
Very Experienced
19%
Retired/Nearly Retired
No votes

Total votes: 16
minervasden

Your Animal Experience Level

Postby minervasden » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:32 pm

Just curious about the experience levels of the membership. For the purpose of this poll I've created the following categories:

Dreamer: Don't have my own animals yet but I'm here to learn!

Beginner: Have my first exotic or am a 'basic' (non-breeder or competitor) owner of a dog, cat, rabbit or other common pet. Or a couple of them.

Intermediate to experienced: I won't be mistaken for a beginner but there's still plenty to learn and additional species I want experience with.

Very Experienced: Your work or hobby with animals is on a professional level, People know your name and it is synonymous with species X, people refer others to you for help, anything similar.

Retired/Nearly retired: In reference to animals not employment. For whatever reason, you no longer have pets or after the animals you currently have pass, there will not be new ones. Or no more exotics but you plan on having at least a cat or dog around the home as long as you are able. You are here to live vicariously through other members and/or continue to share your knowledge and experiences and/or continue learning-you still love animals after all.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Your Animal Experience Level

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:48 pm

I'd consider myself intermediate, and certainly not experienced. But I like to think I'm getting there, lol. ;)

This past year I've learned so much about reptiles, and I feel like as far as repiles go, my experience level has shot through the roof... Being able to interact with giant snakes, lizards, and crocodilians on an almost daily basis is incredible. But a year is not that long in the grand scheme of things.

And while I am very knowledgeable about a vast array of mammals, I've only ever owned foxes--specifically vulpes vulpes. I've interned with other mammal species, but working with them once a week is much different than actually owning them.

I hope as I am able to acquire more animals I will be able to reach that "very experienced" level, lol. But I feel I need to own a representation of several species in order to qualify for that.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:10 pm

I'd consider myself a beginner with reptiles, birds and fish...intermediate with cats and I have no idea where I'm at with dogs.

Being a dog groomer and having done CGC training gave me a lot of experience with a lot of things, but I've only personally owned 5 of them...lol I dunno. Everything else is learned from books and online. I did have professional work I guess. And people who know me always ask me about dog stuff once they figure out I'm a crazy dog lady.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:52 pm

Well I would have gone for intermediate/experienced as in person my experience is limited to a few species.

But this definition "People know your name and it is synonymous with species X, people refer others to you for help" Fits due to the anteaters so selected that as that is true for the anteaters. Yeah people seek me out for help when they got or rescued one all the time. Always TONS more needs to be learned about them though. Actually learning some recently in helping a friend with one she got imported and trying to save found some info and diagrams to help her place a tube for tube feeding. Learned their soft pallet goes a good ways down their throat, keeping things separate much farther than you'd expect.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:42 pm

I tried to make it so the number of species didn't count (unless important to the voter) as after all some people dedicate themselves to a specific species. Also we have these handy places to leave comments for further explanations if needed :icon-wink:

I haven't voted yet because at this time I qualify for 'nearly retired' and voting would make it seem final.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:24 pm

I would probably say I'm in the edge of intermediate. I have only had one exotic- a red fox, but I am one of the top color holland lop breeder in Ohio. I would love to own exotic rodents eventually, as well as a gray fox.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:50 pm

I'd really like to be an "expert" on aardwolves like Mary is with her anteaters. There are a few other species I'm super interested in as well, but that's probably the oddest one. I like that Mary found interest in a "weird," obscure species, and then made them a huge part of her life--learning everything possible about them and teaching others about their behavior. I think it would be great for all serious animal lovers to find a species they can connect with so strongly. Whenever I tell people about Mary's pets, their question is always, "Why anteaters?" And my response is, "Why not?" lol.

With foxes I'd say I'm "very experienced" since I've owned mine for five years and worked with many others. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly and can read them very well. I've spent so much time with mine, I can read them like a book. It's funny--I just meet Ifrit's eyes and I know exactly what's going on behind there, lol. Fable is much more pensive, heehee.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:38 pm

Hmm. This is hard to judge. I would say I actually fall somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I'm not a beginner because I've volunteered at several places with domestic and wild animals as well as owned and/or interacted with domestic animals that belonged to either me or my family members.

However, I have nowhere near the experience level that most of the people on this forum do. I've never actually own an exotic, the only exotics I've had hands-on contact with were(mostly baby) squirrels and rabbits, and the only domestic I've actually lived with everyday 24 hours a day were dogs.

I also currently don't have any pets of any kind as I'm not currently in a situation where I can have them.

I'll go intermediate, but I don't feel like I'm quite intermediate yet, but I also feel like I'm more than a beginner, so idk.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:07 pm

Definitely a beginner. I've owned many animals, but don't have much experience with exotics. I've only pet sat sugar gliders and other small exotics, and met someone's pet marmoset and wolf-dog hybrid at my local pet store. I enjoyed both experiences immensely, though the marmoset smelled a little like bile or cat urine. :lol:

Plan on getting as much experience as I can since I want to have a career as a zookeeper or something else animal-oriented. Going to volunteer at the NC Tiger Rescue once I'm of age; you have to be 16 years or older and I'm only 15. So in the meantime I can study up on exotics and normal school stuff. icon-smile
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Chipmom

Postby Chipmom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:15 pm

I picked that level because I and my husband spent considerable amount of time and money into the research and study of what it would have taken for us to open up a sanctuary for wolf dogs and coy dogs, wolves and coyotes. Whichever it came down to I wanted to be prepared.
I took a weeklong behavior seminar and hands on handeling when we thought we were closer to the goal.
Sadly it never worked out. Finances were just not cooperating.
Proper enclosures, perimeter fencing, insurance, etc. was just too much.
Buying a property is only the beginning.
So anyway I'm not bummed though, it was a fun time on the journey, I learned a lot. I don't regret a thing.
Glad for all those people out there who can do it
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:49 pm

I had parrots for over a decade, so I'd say intermediate-to-experienced. I have nothing now, and I'm not sure at this point exactly when I will have animals again, but I want to have much more exotic animals on my next go-round. I hope that by this time a decade from now I will have a large collection of mammals, a large collection of reptiles, and an extremely large collection of birds (mostly aviary birds I'd attempt to breed rather than real pets, but some pets as well).

One of the nice things about living in Texas is that most things are legal. Unfortunately, Travis County has an ordinance banning exotics without defining "exotic," and I think Austin has a similar one so I'll have to move well beyond Austin city limits before I get anything like a marmoset or an alligator.
KKM

Postby KKM » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:15 am

I chose intermediate because while I don't have a whole lot of exotic experience, I have owned dogs and all sorts of rodents as well as being an active participant in feral cat and wildlife rehabilitation, having hand-raised six litters of kittens and five softbills. I'm also sort of 'retired' as I used to actively breed and show Rex and Lionhead rabbits, though I do still have four who are just companions now.
1.2 rabbits
0.1 campbell's dwarf hamster
1.0 dog

Return to “POLLS”