please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Which species do you least want

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Which species do you least want

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:16 am

For fun cuz it's the opposite of what we normally have. Like what animals would you likely reject even if given free and you had all the time and money.

Pigs: I worked with pot bellies and contrary to all the PR they seemed pretty dim and their waste was supper gross.

Guinea pigs: I might take them if it was a similar situation as last time but would move them on as quickly as possible.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which species do you least want

Postby Ash » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:25 am

I would turn down parrots especially small ones like parakeets. Oh, except if it were a scarlet or hyacinth macaw (but those aren't going to be given up for free, lol, though even then I'd still have reservations).

Farm animals like pigs, cows, and goats. Oh, ducks and geese (chickens okay).

Hamsters, mice, and other common pet store pets.

Most dogs, actually. There are a few dogs out there that catch my eye though, some particular breeds. I do like dogs overall (a lot), but I would hate to take in someone else's dog except if I fell in love with it at first sight.

Domestic cats. I'm just not a big fan of them. Don't get me wrong, I love all animals and you can always see me petting the strays that hang out around the church, but I don't think I'd ever bring one home. A sphinx cat I might make an exception for. :)

Turtles. For me, they're too much work and give little reward. I still like them, but I don't like taking care of them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:47 am

Now I love all animals, but there are some that I can just admire from a distance :lol:

I'll second TamanduaGirl about guinea pigs. For some reason they've always weirded me out a little bit...when people let them get too fat (as many do) they are just sort of unnerving...

Emus and ostriches are a definite no for me. They're incredibly strong, fast, and easily angered (not to mention how their eyes rarely blink...). I find them rather dangerous and definitely not something I'd be interested in having...

Not a fan of ferrets, either. Every single ferret I have ever met loves to bite, and their teeth are very sharp! They also have a very particular odor that is pretty bad...
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:17 am

OH smell, yeah I'd not want sugar gliders after smelling them at a store, bleh. They are super cute though.

I'm also intimidated by the amount of care horses seem to take so wouldn't want them.

Probably wouldn't take parrots either but buggies and Parrotlets would be okay since they aren't screamers. Not on a want list either though but would be okay.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:20 am

Primates are my least wanted though I'd make an exception for Red-Handed Tamarins.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:42 am

Guinea pigs and canines. I'll always provide emergency space to any animal in crisis, but those two are particularly onerous for me!
Had a Saint Bernard here with pneumonia once. Had to repaint the living room.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Forgot about primates. I'm not a fan of them. Though I like the ones that look like little animals as opposed to weird human-things. Like marmosets are cute. But I've heard they are incredibly messy.

Also don't care much kinkajous. Never met one in person, but I just don't care for them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:40 pm

I considered listing primates but mainly would just refuse the larger primates. I would not be able to keep a chimp happy or handle a baboon. I like lemurs and am enticed by the little ones like squirrel monkeys. Also a friend had red hand tamarins and those seems really nice.
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:53 pm

@TamanduaGirl I kept a pair of sugar gliders once for only three weeks. Let me tell you, those things are NOXIOUS :lol:
We just brought our horses home from the place they were boarded at--they are definitely a lot of work! Mostly because they're ridiculously accident prone :roll: Oh, you think that tiny, little hole too small to put your finger in won't cause problems? Horses will find a way to trip on it and go lame in the process :lol: :lol:

I've also always found human-like primates off-putting. There's something about watching something in captivity that looks like a human that has always made me uncomfortable.. baboons freak me out too!

I also can't say I'm a fan of llamas or alpacas...those things smell terrible and they're mean!

Don't know if they technically count as pets, but I'm not a fan of keeping fish. I like watching them when other people keep them, but they require so much work and don't really contribute much to a household :lol:

Wouldn't want to keep spiders, either. I'm not petrified of them but I just don't really like them very much.

Don't know if this counts, but I despise small, yippy dogs. You have a dog that's well behaved and small? Fantastic. But there's something about those little Chihuahua designer purse-types that bark and shake and bite at everything that just bothers me icon_confused.gif
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:18 pm

I actually found llama body odor to be lovely. There breath is nasty though.

Small dogs like that are sad and give the rest a bad reputation. Just because they are small doesn't mean they don't need training and socialization. I would accept one though and fix it.

I didn't want to put fish as I don't want to jinx mine. Our catfish is ancient so would be missed. But I actually agree.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:50 am

Is there supposed to be a poll here? I don't see it.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:25 am

vulpini wrote:Now I love all animals, but there are some that I can just admire from a distance :lol:

I'll second TamanduaGirl about guinea pigs. For some reason they've always weirded me out a little bit...when people let them get too fat (as many do) they are just sort of unnerving...

Emus and ostriches are a definite no for me. They're incredibly strong, fast, and easily angered (not to mention how their eyes rarely blink...). I find them rather dangerous and definitely not something I'd be interested in having...

Not a fan of ferrets, either. Every single ferret I have ever met loves to bite, and their teeth are very sharp! They also have a very particular odor that is pretty bad...

I second all but one of the animals you listed. along with big cats.

on the emus, no, they are not dangerous. I have raised them in the past and with understanding and not a lot of them, they make wonderful pets.
however, most of the other ones in the ratite family I would not want. I had rheas, now they are nasty, mostly the males.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:47 pm

I didn't use the poll feature from the board but technically it's still considered a poll though "survey of public opinion"

I guess the games and fun things forum would have worked too.
--------------

In theory I'd totally take a big cat if I had all I needed to care for it of course in reality I don't so wouldn't but they are not off the table in an ideal scenario.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:22 pm

- Medium sized primates (baboons, capuchin monkeys, macaques, etc) but I do like marmosets and tamarins.
- Pigs, every one I've met and cared for is disgusting and had a terrible personality. They're alright on a farm, but in my opinion they make one of the worst house pets.
- Tortoises/Turtles, lots of work and little reward. Plus they aren't pretty display animals either, at least from my perspective.
- Genets, too independent and solitary for my liking, and live a long time.
- Large Birds, WAY too loud, messy, and live a super long time. I do like finches and other small birds though.
- Sugar Gliders, very expensive and require quite a large set up. I find them boring, and overpriced. Why would I pay $400 or more for a small animal so similar in behavior to a rat? And from personal experience, my rat liked me more... And was also smarter. :lol:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:03 am

In regards to sugar gliders, I loved mine and would probably have them again. They don't stink TOO bad if you're meticulous about cleaning their cage and they are on a proper diet, but they do have an odor. imo it isn't quite is bad as a ferret. But maybe that is because I'm not a fan of ferrets.

Animals I wouldn't want:

Primates in general.
Ferrets
Parrots (I don't like the screaming)
Certain dog breeds - I'm not really a fan of a lot of hounds (except sight hounds. I love those)
Most cat breeds - I'll stick with bengals
Kangaroo - I like wallabies. Kangaroos are toooo big
Farm animals (pigs, sheep, etc)

Return to “POLLS”