PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Most Wanted Invasive Species

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Which invasive species do you want the most?

Flying Fox/Fruit Bat
17%
Mongoose
17%
Meerkat
3%
Dhole
23%
Raccoon Dog
34%
Brushtailed Possum
6%
Nondomestic European Rabbit
No votes
Multimammate Mouse
No votes
African Soft-Furred Rat
No votes

Total votes: 35
caninesrock

Most Wanted Invasive Species

Postby caninesrock » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:23 am

Which invasive species do you wish you could have the most?

For me, it's the dhole,but the raccoon dog comes in second.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Most Wanted Invasive Species

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:06 am

You should have added pythons and boas since now they're "invasive." Grr...

I went ahead and chose dholes. I love them a lot too.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:50 pm

If you search "African Soft Furred rat" and "Multimammate mouse/rat" you'll find the same animal. I'm guessing people have these animals and they are miss-labeled and are not actually the illegal species known as the African Soft Furred Rat. What they really are...well, I don't know. But the animal you see in search results is often bred for feeding reptiles, particularly wild caught pythons. They are somewhat hard to come by. They are always (at least from what I have found) called African Soft Furred Rats or Multimammate mouse/rat.

As far as having a rodent in captivity goes, I would say they are wild. The females seem to be more aggressive than males, actively moving across the cage to attack the caregiver.
Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:41 pm

I've always wanted a golden flying fox bat. They are so adorable!
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:48 pm

the_unstable wrote:If you search "African Soft Furred rat" and "Multimammate mouse/rat" you'll find the same animal. I'm guessing people have these animals and they are miss-labeled and are not actually the illegal species known as the African Soft Furred Rat. What they really are...well, I don't know. But the animal you see in search results is often bred for feeding reptiles, particularly wild caught pythons. They are somewhat hard to come by. They are always (at least from what I have found) called African Soft Furred Rats or Multimammate mouse/rat.

As far as having a rodent in captivity goes, I would say they are wild. The females seem to be more aggressive than males, actively moving across the cage to attack the caregiver.

There are several different species of multimammate rats/mice. The African Soft-Furred Rat is the only one that has a common name though. The choice of Multimammate mouse is meant to include all of the other "nameless" multimattae rats/mice.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Well, all of the species of the genus Mastomys are illegal, so unless there are other species of multimammate rats/mice that are not of that genus, then they're all federally illegal.

viewtopic.php?t=6033

The Mastomys natalensis is the one referred to as the African Soft Furred rat, and it is of the Mastomys genus, so that would mean it is federally illegal. So either people are wrong about the species of these rodents that are already in this country or there is a federally illegal species being commonly bred.

Now someone needs to start that up with raccoon dogs.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:03 pm

the_unstable wrote:Well, all of the species of the genus Mastomys are illegal, so unless there are other species of multimammate rats/mice that are not of that genus, then they're all federally illegal.

viewtopic.php?t=6033

The Mastomys natalensis is the one referred to as the African Soft Furred rat, and it is of the Mastomys genus, so that would mean it is federally illegal. So either people are wrong about the species of these rodents that are already in this country or there is a federally illegal species being commonly bred.

Exactly. Which is why I listed Multimattae rats/mice in this poll as invasive. It's also why I have the African Soft Furred Rat in the poll. The only reason I seperated out the African Soft Fur is that it's the only one that has a common name that people may be able to more easily reconize it by. I am not sure on the breeding,but with something as small as a mouse, it wouldn't suprise me if they got away with it,especially since you can import european rabbits as long as you say they're domestic even though they are technically an invasive species,so maybe people just import them as "domestic mouse" or just "mouse" or "rat" or "domestic rat",etc. on their import papers.

Now someone needs to start that up with raccoon dogs

*Cough* Ken's Exotics *Cough*
Well,not anymore,but he was selling an adult breeder pair at one point. I don't know what ever happened to them though, if someone from another country bought them, he stopped advertising them for fear of getting in trouble and still secretly houses them, sent them back to who ever he was brokering them for, they were siezed by the gov,etc.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:59 pm

caninesrock wrote:

Well,not anymore,but he was selling an adult breeder pair at one point. I don't know what ever happened to them though, if someone from another country bought them, he stopped advertising them for fear of getting in trouble and still secretly houses them, sent them back to who ever he was brokering them for, they were siezed by the gov,etc.

He told me he was only selling them to zoos or other approved facilities. Many accredited zoos go through him.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:47 am

caninesrock wrote:
the_unstable wrote:Well, all of the species of the genus Mastomys are illegal, so unless there are other species of multimammate rats/mice that are not of that genus, then they're all federally illegal.

viewtopic.php?t=6033

Exactly. Which is why I listed Multimattae rats/mice in this poll as invasive. It's also why I have the African Soft Furred Rat in the poll. The only reason I seperated out the African Soft Fur is that it's the only one that has a common name that people may be able to more easily reconize it by. I am not sure on the breeding,but with something as small as a mouse, it wouldn't suprise me if they got away with it,especially since you can import european rabbits as long as you say they're domestic even though they are technically an invasive species,so maybe people just import them as "domestic mouse" or just "mouse" or "rat" or "domestic rat",etc. on their import papers.

Yeah, I know, I was just simply discussing the species.

I heard about Ken having the raccoon dogs...strange. I wonder what happened with that. I'd love to have a white raccoon dog. They're so cute. I guess raccoons will have to do for now.

Considering all the bans that are popping up, I doubt we'll have any luck legalizing them. We'll be lucky if we can own a ferret in 20 years...argh.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:07 am

We over here in CA already can't. D:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:21 pm

The whole thing with the mice/rats is due to genus confusion. Some places list is as Mastomys natalensis others Praomys natalensis. Mastomys is banned but Praomys is not.

There is actually more than one species of brushtail possum and only the one is banned so you can get them just not the one species.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Of the animals listed, flying fox/fruit bat.

However, what I would love to have is a giant African pouched rat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_pouched_rat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambian_Pouched_Rat

They're so CUTE and I love rats to start with, and I'd love a bigger rat to cuddle with. C:

Unfortunately they were declared an invasion threat and I doubt that they will be allowed to be sold any more.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:30 pm

Apparently there are feral Gambians in Florida now....
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Gambian Pouched Rats? I want!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Alynn wrote:Of the animals listed, flying fox/fruit bat.

However, what I would love to have is a giant African pouched rat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_pouched_rat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambian_Pouched_Rat

They're so CUTE and I love rats to start with, and I'd love a bigger rat to cuddle with. C:

Unfortunately they were declared an invasion threat and I doubt that they will be allowed to be sold any more.

Wait. Is that a new law that just passed? I didn't see it anywhere in the invasive species law that TG posted in the Laws and Legal Issues section.

Return to “POLLS”