PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Most Wanted Invasive Species

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Which invasive species do you want the most?

Flying Fox/Fruit Bat
17%
Mongoose
17%
Meerkat
3%
Dhole
23%
Raccoon Dog
34%
Brushtailed Possum
6%
Nondomestic European Rabbit
No votes
Multimammate Mouse
No votes
African Soft-Furred Rat
No votes

Total votes: 35
caninesrock

Re: Most Wanted Invasive Species

Postby caninesrock » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:24 pm

vln_girl wrote:Apparently there are feral Gambians in Florida now....

I have to ask just to clarify.
Is that true or just a social commentary about them banning pythons because they are invasive in Florida?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
amyers

Postby amyers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:13 pm

They are in the keys, apparently.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:17 pm

You can own the pouched rats now you just can't import them due to the monkey pox thing. No African rodents can be imported. It's extremely hard to find them now but I don't think they are totally gone but no one with them would need to advertise so no one knows who has them. Just like a few people have springhass but you can't find them for sale anywhere.

Edit: it's a CDC thing if I remember right. CDC and F&WL both enacted emergency bans when the monkey pox outbreak happened. The one banning sale and trade was lifted but not the one banning import.
amyers

Postby amyers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:33 pm

I wish you could find springhaas. They are too cute.

Doesn't Chasing tail have one?

Gambian Pouched Rat Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/2 ... 80406.html
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:45 pm

Yeah she has one but last I heard she can't find a mate for it. People who still have them don't want to part with them. I can't say I blame them but if we want more we need people breeding and she has a lot of success getting difficult species to breed.

Maybe people could catch some pouched rats from FL and breed them ;)
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:09 pm

I am all for ^ that idea!
amyers

Postby amyers » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:21 am

So we should all plan a trip to the Keys then ;)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:10 pm

It would also be legal too, wouldn't it? Because they're exotic?

Is it legal to go catch and keep all them roaming pythons in Florida too? :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
amyers

Postby amyers » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:19 pm

The way the law reads, the only animals you can't take out of the wild "for personal use" are deer, rabies vectors (foxes, skunks, coons), birds, and endangered species. I don't see where it would be illegal to catch either one.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:27 pm

That's really neat. In that case somebody ought to go catch some. :icon-wink:

I was wondering how people were keeping wild-caught baby opossums as pets down there.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Really? o: I thought the sale and trade was still banned.
That would be fantastic if someone could find a breeder. I'd imagine a breeder could get away with a high price though considering they are hard to find.

Keep a look out guys and let me know if you find any breeders. c:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Yep nationally they are fine. Some states panicked and enacted their own bans. Oregon has them as noncontrolled but I'm certainly not set up to breed wild caught rodents.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:39 am

I picked dhole. They seem interesting.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Mon May 25, 2015 12:12 am

For six genera, including the Gambian pouched rat, the CDC banned their sale, or even the removing them from your house.

The question's a tricky one.

I most want mongooses (dwarf and/or banded), but only one species is actually invasive and legally banned (the small Asian mongoose), and I don't want that one of those. The other eighteen aren't banned by the text of the Lacey Act and weren't banned through normal procedure; they're banned because the FWS made a clerical error and doesn't want to admit its mistake. I think that in theory, one could sue the FWS to get them removed from the list. But since public comments and scientific evidence seemed irrelevant when they decided to ban several snakes, there's a risk they'd just relist the non-invasive species of mongoose via proper procedure in order to restore the status quo. In short, you'd likely need money to get the mongoose species I want off the list and influence to keep them off, but it wouldn't be as hard as the other "potentially invasive species."

Flying foxes aren't invasive either, AFAIK. I believe they were banned in the original Lacey Act because they're considered agricultural pests in their native range. They probably come after the mongooses, but again, they're not actually invasive, just banned.

Brushtail possums actually are invasive (though aside from Hawaii, the Marianas, and American Samoa, all with their own restrictions, it's highly unlikely they'd be invasive anywhere in the US), and I kind of want one. But then, there's so many other animals I want more that I doubt that I'd get one even if they were legal, unless they were really common as pets and a lot of people were rehoming them on Craigslist.

In short, I can't decide which is most appropriate for my selection.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:13 am

The Fish and Wildlife Service has confirmed that mongooses and meerkats were banned via proper procedures. They were banned together with dholes and multimammate mice in the largest single ban since the original Lacey Act. Considering that none of these species are invasive, there's obviously something else behind that particular ban.

But yes, mongoose is definitely number one for me. Meerkats are a type of mongoose, and come in third among mongooses I want (after dwarf and banded mongooses).

Return to “POLLS”