PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Favorite Pocket Pet

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

What is your favorite pocket pet?

Rat
24%
Mouse/Dormouse
No votes
Hamster
4%
Gerbil
No votes
Guinea Pig
No votes
Chinchilla
12%
Sugar Glider/Flying Squirrel
32%
Hedgehog
8%
Chipmunk/Squirrel/Ground Squirrel
8%
Prairie Dog
12%

Total votes: 25
caninesrock

Favorite Pocket Pet

Postby caninesrock » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Favorite pocket pet?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Favorite Pocket Pet

Postby sarajeku » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:51 am

Sugar gliders and flying squirrels are not the same thing.
Flying squirrels are rodents. Sugar gliders are marsupials.
I refuse to vote on principle. *pout*
amyers

Postby amyers » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Same. Flyers should be down with tree squirrels/chipmunks. Ground squirrels would make more sense down with prairie dogs since prairie dogs are a type of ground squirrel.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:50 pm

After owning my first Chin I can never go back. I did almost come home with some sugar gliders awhile a go, but I can't get over how much I love Chinchillas!
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:36 pm

I put flying squirrels, even though I've never had one. Second choice would have been rats!
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:14 pm

I had kind of a hard time deciding... I initially was going straight for the flying squirrels because I love them and can't wait to have my own pair...but then I looked it over, and I love the chinchillas I have, I think they're great and awesome, and then I was considering rats, even though I've never had them, I'm pretty positive they make great pets and I would really like to have one too... but I ultimately chose hamsters. I really love hamsters, and I've grown up with them for many years now; they're so sweet and incredibly low maintenance in comparison to other new animals I have like the rabbit. They make great pets, and now that my last hamster (of 4 years; he was a really amazing hamster) passed away last week, I incredibly miss having hamsters. So there. Heh.
And they can actually go in your pocket. (Not that all others on there can't, but just sayin'. ;) )
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Well, I ran out of spaces for the poll choices and I figure that sugar gliders are basically marsupial "squirrels", like how tasmanian tiger were marsupial "wolves". I tend to be of the belief that just because something has a pouch thrown on it, doesn't mean it's not related to another type of animal that's similiar to it. For example, a koala bear looks like a kind of bear in everyway yet is not considred a bear just because it has a pouch? :/ Now,for something like hyenas, they have some appearences that aren't canine-like such as large "manes",haunched body structures,etc.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

amyers

Postby amyers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:26 am

That "pouch" in evolutionary terms makes it worlds different from something else. It's not just the pouch, but a vastly different development process. It's called convergent evolution. Sugar gliders and flyers are the classic example. Basically, they evolve to look the same for whatever reason (lifestyle, niche, etc.), but they aren't related. Saying they should be related despite the pouch is like saying dolphins and whales are really fish because of the way they look...

http://preventingtruthdecay.org/converg ... ion.shtml#
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 221AAsLDct

/Gets off of soapbox/
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:04 am

I chose prairie dog. I personally like flying squirrels more than sugar gliders though.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:39 pm

My favorite is sugar gliders.

TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:38 pm

I wouldn't call prairie dogs a pocket pet (full grown they're larger than some small dogs), but they're definitely my favorite on this list.

Of the remaining animals on the list (chinchillas seem a bit large to be "pocket pets" too, by the way), sugar gliders are definitely the most appealing. I'd also consider buying hedgehogs and rats as pets.

Most of the remainder are either too small (like mice and gerbils) or too stupid (like guinea pigs and chipmunks) or too small and too stupid (like hamsters) for me to really want them as pets. (Well, squirrels are a good size, but Eastern gray squirrels are distilled evil, and I don't think I could trust any animal that resembles them.)

Return to “POLLS”