ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Favorite Small Weasel Family Member

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Favorite small weasel family member?

European Mink
No votes
American Mink
19%
European Polecat
6%
Marbled Polecat
13%
Ferret
19%
Ferret-Badger
13%
Stoat
13%
Least Weasel
13%
Longtailed Weasel
6%
Black-footed Ferret
No votes

Total votes: 16
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Favorite Small Weasel Family Member

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:11 pm

Do you mean the Japanese ones or the yellow-throated.

I forgot the yellow on the size list they are big compared to the others
Males weigh 2.5-5.7 kg (5.5-12.6 lbs), while females weigh 1.6-3.8 kg (3.5-8.4 lbs).

I'm sure they could be gotton with some effort but you'd likely have to start with a non-tame breeding pair. But yeah no viable way strait to just getting a pet one.

Seems like a lot of the weasel family are hard to breed in captivity: badgers, wolverines, martens all have a history of poor captive reproduction. The guy breeding Wolverines said getting a baby was on par with getting a panda baby they are so rare. I'd say probably rarer than that they seem pretty good at getting pandas to breed now. Tayra seem to be the same any available are imports not captive bred.

If someone could get them breeding they'd make good exotic pets, at least the small species, larger for more experienced keepers.
Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:30 pm

The Japanese ones, and yes it does seem difficult. I've heard of lots of issues with Wolverine breeding and the desert badger out west is dropping in numbers and there is a lot of dubious comments about a captive breeding program. I'm trying hard to find out all I can toward captive breeding to see what can help with the success rate toward the European badger but they as a species do not seem to have a lot of the same hang ups. The resources for weasels are particularly hard to find as many of the weasels are not as well researched and for some captive info on them is hard to dig up.

I think Tyra could feasibly do well. They seem to do quite well with moving between a semi-domesticated state as they are often used as pets to natives, but aside from that it'd be a rough road. I know with the N. American Badger and the Wolverine it's the sheer amount of roaming space they require, but it seems like smaller weasels may do ok. I know the Pine Marten has a smaller range due to the change in habitat during the seasons, though I don't know about the Japanese marten I am just beginning to research their particular habits and what is known about them. Still, as far as an easy domestication Tyra could be the best starting point as there is already some domestication in their lineage.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:45 pm

I really like Tayras. My sister wants me to breed some so she can be around them without having to feed and clean up after them, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Cool. The Yellow-throated seem to often come in gold with brown face and feet but they have a more tayra body shape and look than the other martens. I like the Japanese one's better or the beech for traditional markings.

Tayra would be a good species to start with for something easy to get. Chasing Tail imports ones people caught and raised from cubs so they wind up really tame. Met a lady who used to have one a long time ago and she said it was just like having a giant ferret that can climb.

I guess there isn't much interest in weasels because people don't think of them as exotic and a more common animal, but I don't think I've ever seen one in real life.
Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:15 pm

I am seriously going to have a house full of weasels. I'm hoping to pick up a few tayra in the next few years since they domesticate so well. I'm more worried with martens since they are very finnicky and can suffer from several neurotic behaviorisms in captivity. I want to be sure that I have the amount of space to fight that neurotic behavior, and also have the ability to remove and feed babies.

I think weasels get a bad rap as well, there is a lot of talk that if it isn't a ferret it's vicious and cannot be handled. In my own experience this is false, but I am sure there is this inconsistency with all exotics. It'd be fantastic to get a hold of some of the more interesting species, even if I would not be handling them as 'pets'. I hope to hit Japan in a few years to go see the Yokohama zoo where they have a lot of the japanese national creatures including there adorable badgers!

Ok, enough blabbing about all that. I am looking into tayras as they are actually semi-easy to get though I'm not quite to the point of having the set-up for them. I should have that in the next year or so.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Nova, if you breed some tayras, I would like to buy one from you if things work out. :icon-wink:

I suppose the reason weasels have bad reputations is because they are such efficient killers. But you'd learn to live around it and keep them separated from other animals.

Do tayras have that instinctual prey drive like other weasel-type animals?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:05 pm

I would guess so. I know chasing tail puts muzzles on hers for shows, not cuz they are vicious but they get nippy when exited and they are always excited. Kind of like I've heard mink are, you can teach them to bite nice but you can't teach them not to bite. Same with otters and wolverines. I think it's a mustelidae thing.
Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:43 am

Weasels do all their interaction with their mouths, everything. Many mustelids are bite first to figure out what they are, then ask questions later types. With opportunistic hunters especially (as almost all weasels are) they especially go after anything smaller than themselves. I know Kai, as sweet as he is, still is nippy when hyper and I know mink are especially notorious for this nipping behavior. Though with him it's more like 'mouthing' than actual biting.

It'll be interesting since I know tayra do well with 'bite nice' teaching as do the few captive badgers I've seen/read about. I'm also excited to get some more information out about the mustelid family, as pets. I love ferrets, but I don't think that they are the only option for pet ownership :icon-wink:

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:48 am

Hmm... Didn't vote because I don't know enough about these critters to have an opinion. ^_^
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:36 pm

My favorites are the European Mink, European Polecat,Ferret, Stoat, Least Weasel,and American Marten. But mostly the Marten and European mink. ;)
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “POLLS”