PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

If Every Pet in America was banned, would you move?

Vote in a Poll or Create a Poll.. Any Subject.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

If only dogs and cats were allowed in your country would you move out?

Yes, I couldn't stand it otherwise.
100%
No, I have too much at stake, can't leave family, my job is here, etc.
No votes

Total votes: 21
Splashstorm

If Every Pet in America was banned, would you move?

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:00 pm

So if only cats and dogs and NOTHING else was allowed, in all areas of America (or whatever country you're from) would you literally get out and move to a different country???
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Splashstorm

Re: If Every Pet in America was banned, would you move?

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:01 pm

I would. Animals make my life whole. I don't want to spend the rest of my life dreaming.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 am

Its already getting to the point with womens rights being undermined that I've thought of leaving the country.

But yeah definitely I'd move if I couldn't have pets. Unfortunately lots of other countries have restrictive animal laws too :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:01 pm

If it ever got to where no pets were allowed, like not even cats or dogs, I would probably kill myself because I literally can't live without animals. Animals are one of the few things I'm living for and that actually make life seem worth-while in spite of my clinical depression.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:54 pm

:c Yeah I am a very optimistic person but still, most of my life I have been depressed. Animals are that cherry on top that keeps life for me bearable. I always say, "God is my all, my bf (now ex) is who i live for, and animals keep life bearable."

I have this mindset where I don't think life is worth living at all. I don't care how happy I am and for how long, inside I know life in and of itself is stupid and unnecessary. You live, you suffer, you die. :P I would have committed suicide after my bf broke up with me but I was scared I'd go to hell for committing suicide. ;___;

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Splashstorm wrote::c Yeah I am a very optimistic person but still, most of my life I have been depressed. Animals are that cherry on top that keeps life for me bearable. I always say, "God is my all, my bf (now ex) is who i live for, and animals keep life bearable."

I have this mindset where I don't think life is worth living at all. I don't care how happy I am and for how long, inside I know life in and of itself is stupid and unnecessary. You live, you suffer, you die. :P I would have committed suicide after my bf broke up with me but I was scared I'd go to hell for committing suicide. ;___;

There's always a reason for living. Animals are mine and sounds like they are yours too. Also, I've never tried it because I've had a realy supportive and kind family and I wouldn't want to hurt my family by killing myself and I'm sure you wouldn't want to hurt yours either. Also,there's some things on Earth that I really enjoy and I am not sure if they'd be in Heaven like television,internet, video games, technology, animals(which some people say don't have souls,but I'm not sure if they do or not even though my religion has always taught that they don't),Disney World,etc. Never give up hope. There's always a reason to live and things to enjoy in life. And even when you feel useless or like you don't matter, that's not true. You matter to lots of people, your family, your friends,any pets you have,etc.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Goob

Postby Goob » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:01 am

caninesrock wrote:If it ever got to where no pets were allowed, like not even cats or dogs, I would probably kill myself because I literally can't live without animals. Animals are one of the few things I'm living for and that actually make life seem worth-while in spite of my clinical depression.

Please tell me you are joking. If something gets banned, don't just give in or give up. FIGHT BACK! Get angry and start a protest! If something I own gets banned for ridiculous reasons, I going to be a very defiant little b1tch and say to the authorities they are simply not taking this away without a serious fight. :chair:

If every pet was banned in America, I would keep every pet I have legally obtained prior to the ban. By this point, federal authority means nothing to me. Pets are known as family to me; the U.S. government cannot legally take family away from people like me.
"Whether you think you can do it, or think you can't, you are right." --Herald Ford
LEGO is life.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Please tell me you are joking. If something gets banned, don't just give in or give up. FIGHT BACK! Get angry and start a protest! If something I own gets banned for ridiculous reasons, I going to be a very defiant little b1tch and say to the authorities they are simply not taking this away without a serious fight. :chair:

If every pet was banned in America, I would keep every pet I have legally obtained prior to the ban. By this point, federal authority means nothing to me. Pets are known as family to me; the U.S. government cannot legally take family away from people like me.

I wasn't joking,but even still, I don't think it likely that I'd ever really kill myself. Though I've thought of it alot before because of my depression, I've never actually acted on it because thinking about my family and how it would affect them stopped me along with my beliefs making me fear I'd go to hell if I committed suicide. Also,right now my depression meds are working pretty well,so I'm not really that depressed. I just can't imagine what life without any animals would be like though.

FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Whew; I'm glad and sad that a lot of us have gone through a similar contemplation. :/

This post may be old, but I feel like reviving stuff.
I chose the moving option, because I'm still young and have that leniency to move around. At this point, I was already choosing to run from the law - Ohio was/is banning large exotic animals, more to come, so I'm going to college in Indiana and I may stay here. (The laws are restrictive, but not banning.) I am still trying to fight Ohio's laws though.
It's hard to say if I would move to a whole other country if I had already set up my life here. I feel like I could still find ways to interact with animals even if they were banned as pets. I can still research and observe what is in the wild... Are they still allowed in zoos? May I just work with them in a zoo?
If they're completely gone, and there is no way I could even work with them in my country, I would probably move. That would be very tough to stand. I could do other things, but I don't want to. Meh, it's still hard to say, but I would at least maybe retire in another country where animals are available.
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:16 am

I have already considered/planned moving out of my country for most of my life, and while I don't know to where yet (mostly because it's hard to find out about these laws in other countries), it will happen, and for two main reasons:

1) Climate. (Snow is pretty but not for 5-6 months a year. :-x)
2) Many animals I want are banned here.

Don't get me wrong, I love many things about Sweden and am proud of my heritage here, but dang the cold, and dang that the animal bans don't make sense at all. icon-smile

In short, most animals are actually legal, but not carnivores, not birds of prey (or european bird species), and not primates.

You can have domesticated cats, dogs (and with hybrids there is that rule of 5+ generations), ferrets and... BADGERS.
Why are badgers legal? There are no domesticated badgers?
Because hunters use badgers to bait their hunting dogs on them. Animal cruelty, that's why keeping badgers is legal. Because like man I know (via the internet, a lawyer and exotic animal lover, so he knows this stuff) said, hunters are a really huge and LOUD group and you don't (as a lawmaker) want to get in their way.
But (exotic) pet owners can be run over and no one cares.
Other than that, everything from tigers and polar bears to fennec foxes and kinkajou are banned. Who knows why.

Because you CAN keep elephants, hippos and ORCAS, as long as you fulfull the requirements. (And can afford them. :lol:)

You can't keep any birds of prey like I said, falconry is illegal here, apparently for the sake of the native birds (had something to do with "people stealing eggs"). I guess then why aren't foreign species, like the Harris Hawk, legal?

And of course, no primate (or the road to primate ownership is so hard that it's in practice illegal). In most cases that's good, a cute little monkey is not a good pet in the way a hamster or a budgie is. But I can't believe they really think primates (even lemurs, or the tiny ones) are so intelligent, hard to care for, need so much space and special diet, that they must be illegal - while for example parrots (and the above mentioned animals) are not.

And there is no logical reason for having, like I said, elephants legal, but not fennec foxes and kinkajou. Not in intelligence level, care, space or potential danger.

Also, there is a difference in the law between "cage birds" (traditionally kept species, even if they're undomesticated) and "non cage birds". You can keep a macaw in a 3.6 meter wide cage, and a cockatoo or amazon in a 1.6 meter wide cage, but if you want a toucan or a hornbill (or any other rare bird) of the same size, then you are required by law to build a cage the size of a small football field (slight exaggeration, only slight).
Not because macaws need any less space, but because the law simply distinguishes between "cage birds" and "non cage birds".
(It even has cage laws varying like that between different types of pigeon!)

It does not compute.

Sorry... this didn't get short at all! :lol:

Anyway, I agree that it would be better to stay and fight, but in this little country with 9 million inhabitans, most people think owning any undomesticated (or at least the non-traditional species) animal is evil, so you wouldn't get many people speaking up for legalizing these exotic animals.

If we had one really determined person or lawmaker wanting to change this, that would be different, but I'm not that person (I'm not into law at all).

And if I were to point this out to people/lawmakers, they would probably do the opposite instead "Aha - so you mean we should ban all those other animals instead? Okay, excellent!" :wall:

(That has happened with dog breeds in other countries, like Denmark. Lawmakers/politicians often want to ban pitbulls - people say "But other breeds bite too, all dogs can be dangerous!" - the lawmakers say "Okay, let's ban all these other breeds too!" After a year of a 15-breed ban in Denmark, dog bite statistics went up, so they thought "It's clearly not working... let's ban more breeds!"
And Italy had over 90 breeds banned/restricted at one point.)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:11 pm

A poll about America without "Option #3"?

Fight.

You only lose rights when you surrender the point.
otterpop

Postby otterpop » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:27 pm

There could be that fourth option...

I have moved before, two years after a ban enacted, I had no realistic way to continue staying put in my home state without putting my family in grave danger. It was rough, but perhaps I was either lucky, or simply acted before it was too late.
Interestingly the governor who signed that law into force is STILL governor- more than 30 years later, although not contiguously.
A great place to visit in certain areas, but it is after all like it already has a foreign county feel when I not being in old familar woods, by the creek etc. The trend seems to be there is to limit access to even places such as those- all is needed is some emergency and the door is shut to all but the priveledged and illegal pot growers.
Another concern is the threat of checkpoints set up randomly which make any discrete travel more risky.

Giving up only allows them to win again.

The only problem with putting up a fight is having our 'kids' milling about our feet, or confined in cages all of the time. That requires something to consider.

I think there not only animal souls in heaven, but our specific loved ones are alreasy waiting for us. Nobody has been able to prove me wrong yet.
The key is to able to get there ourselves I guess.

Moving to another country for me is probably out. (Intenational movement can only be done with a CITES permit, and i doubt that they will allow for pets)
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Sun May 24, 2015 10:27 pm

@otterpop: So Jerry Brown is behind California's absurd pet laws? (Or is there another governor who managed to get re-elected after a multi-decade hiatus?)

Captive-bred specimens of CITES Appendix I species qualify as CITES Appendix II species, and it's fairly easy to move Appendix II animals across borders. However the United States prohibits exportation of any species native to the US for most purposes, so if you have, say, prairie dogs or mallards, or green anoles, you'll have a bit of a problem getting them out of the country. Also, any primates, African rodents, and members of several other species may not be re-imported if they're "only" pets.

As for myself, I tried living abroad. I liked it a lot better than living in the United States because it's easier to interact with people who see you as foreigners. Sadly, it didn't work out, as I was in TESOL, which is simply not a great long-term career path unless you live in China, Korea, or the Persian Gulf, or are a teacher in an international school. (I've been to China and Korea and heard about the Gulf, and I don't want to live in any of those places. Nor do I wish to work with children all day.) I've since changed career paths.

If this country banned pets other than cats or dogs, I'd go abroad again in a heartbeat. I'd do it again even if the only way I could make a living were TESOL. The choice between living in Korea or Kuwait with animals I like, and living in the US without any is an easy one. Fortunately, I think I could probably find a job in the UK or Ireland in my new field, and both have much more liberal laws where pets are concerned than most of the US.

Return to “POLLS”