PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

"Sic" Emu

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Sic" Emu

Postby pat » Tue May 14, 2019 10:21 am

Before we got Drusilla, Fence lived with another boy Emu, called Major. 70% of the time, they got along just fine, the other 30% they chased each other, but never aggressive.
Fence is now very calm, and the minut Drusilla died, he got alot calmer. Well, I'm not going to lie, when he get he's favorite food (watermleon), he turns into a T-Rex and chases everyone who breaths. (This is the only time he is dangerous aggressive)
I think he will be fine on he's own. But I will monitor him closely, of course.

Ge eats what the goats and the Llama eat. A pellet that is for goats and cows, I believe. Other than that, he gets fruit and vegetable, oats, bread crumbs, and sometimes boiled rice and/or pasta. And crispbread.

Do you have the brand name for that tyrkey food? I will try look it up in my local farmers store.

Hmm, sound strange. Perhaps a bird defect as you wrote, or inbreeding.

You have a fox too?! What awesome animals don't you have, heh! ;) I'm so sorry to hear that Can the vet. do someting, medication or pain killers?

what type of pellets do you give your goats? I am not saying food is the issue from your emu's death. but, sounds like some of the food you were giving him is not good for an emu. emu's should eat ratite food or turkey pellets. I don't know what brand I got for my emu's. I bought it from a farm store. fruits are good for emu's. the other foods, especially the pasta is not a good diet.

when I had Rocky, when I would have a barbeque outside, he would come to the table and pick at the potatoe salad. but not much of it, and not often. all my other emu's and rheas were fed turkey pellets and a little fruit.

to play it safe, skip the pasta and other foods for your emu's, except for fruit as a daily diet. use the turkey pellets or ratite food. make sure you get it from a farm store that has fresh pellets.

My Donnie (fox) died on Sunday. it was a horrible for me to see him suffer. he was my last fox. I use to have 3. I also have 3 raccoons now.
two standard color and one albino.

long time ago, my first fox and raccoon I bought at the same time. both were buddies and communicated with each other. even after I bought two more foxes. Daryl and Larry remained friends. when larry died (my raccoon) Daryl (my fox) cried out for him for months. it was sad.

my outside animals are a guiniea, chickens, ducks, steers, mini donkeys I use to have a steer, that was unbelievable. he was really a great steer.
anytime any animal would die, he would also attend the burial. Oscar (my steer) lived to be 18 years old.

right now, I have a duck that seems to think she belongs in house :roll: she sleeps in my room. I have big piece of carboard, for her to stay on.
she also has a little bed with bubble wrap (she loves that) but, she will go outside during the day.

I also have three ducks and goose that lives outside. I have a pond where they generally stay.

back to the food for your emu, I will look and see what brand of turkey food they have. but, since you live in a different country, I won't know if you can find the same brand. maybe something similar.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 am

this is what you should be feeding your emu's:
https://www.hubbardlife.com/ratite/ratite-feed.aspx

also, this site has a little bit of good information.

if you can't find it anywhere, the turkey food would work. some places will ship. I don't know where you live,
hopefully, you can find somewhere to get the proper food for your emu's.

please keep me updated.

Angry Emu

Postby Angry Emu » Sun May 19, 2019 5:55 pm

what type of pellets do you give your goats? I am not saying food is the issue from your emu's death. but, sounds like some of the food you were giving him is not good for an emu. emu's should eat ratite food or turkey pellets. I don't know what brand I got for my emu's. I bought it from a farm store. fruits are good for emu's. the other foods, especially the pasta is not a good diet.

when I had Rocky, when I would have a barbeque outside, he would come to the table and pick at the potatoe salad. but not much of it, and not often. all my other emu's and rheas were fed turkey pellets and a little fruit.

to play it safe, skip the pasta and other foods for your emu's, except for fruit as a daily diet. use the turkey pellets or ratite food. make sure you get it from a farm store that has fresh pellets.

My Donnie (fox) died on Sunday. it was a horrible for me to see him suffer. he was my last fox. I use to have 3. I also have 3 raccoons now.
two standard color and one albino.

long time ago, my first fox and raccoon I bought at the same time. both were buddies and communicated with each other. even after I bought two more foxes. Daryl and Larry remained friends. when larry died (my raccoon) Daryl (my fox) cried out for him for months. it was sad.

my outside animals are a guiniea, chickens, ducks, steers, mini donkeys I use to have a steer, that was unbelievable. he was really a great steer.
anytime any animal would die, he would also attend the burial. Oscar (my steer) lived to be 18 years old.

right now, I have a duck that seems to think she belongs in house :roll: she sleeps in my room. I have big piece of carboard, for her to stay on.
she also has a little bed with bubble wrap (she loves that) but, she will go outside during the day.

I also have three ducks and goose that lives outside. I have a pond where they generally stay.

back to the food for your emu, I will look and see what brand of turkey food they have. but, since you live in a different country, I won't know if you can find the same brand. maybe something similar.

I am so sorry for not answering right away. Our last dog, got terrible ill from testicle cancer, and he was put to sleep today. I am already over 30+ hours of no sleep and food.

I will have to check if my local 'farmers store' if they can to get hand on ratite food. Otherwise, I know they sell pellets for chickens and maybe Turkeys.
About the pasta, it's not often he gets it, and when he does, it's not much - just a treat. He goes crazy over pasta, it's hilariouse to watch.

I am so sorry to hear that, so aweful! :cry: I hope dear Donnie and you had a fantastic life together.
Oh man, to see the remaining animals grieve over their lost friend are horrifying and depressing. :icon-frown:

Well of course she believe she belongs in the house, she is a part of the family! :lol: :lol:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 21, 2019 10:30 am

I am so sorry for not answering right away. Our last dog, got terrible ill from testicle cancer, and he was put to sleep today. I am already over 30+ hours of no sleep and food.

I will have to check if my local 'farmers store' if they can to get hand on ratite food. Otherwise, I know they sell pellets for chickens and maybe Turkeys.
About the pasta, it's not often he gets it, and when he does, it's not much - just a treat. He goes crazy over pasta, it's hilariouse to watch.

I am so sorry to hear that, so aweful! :cry: I hope dear Donnie and you had a fantastic life together.
Oh man, to see the remaining animals grieve over their lost friend are horrifying and depressing. :icon-frown:

Well of course she believe she belongs in the house, she is a part of the family! :lol: :lol:

I understand, when we have animals and other work to do, it is hard to reply or post as often as we would like to.

the turkey pellets would be better than the chicken pellets. I never have seen chicken pellets. but, the chicken food is made for chickens.
worse case, maybe you can find a place that will ship to you :shrug:

yes, it is heartbreaking to see an animal grieve after they lose their buddy icon-sad I use to have coonhound dogs. sadly they all died off from old age. icon-sad I remember with two that were bonded. the male died, the female layed on his grave for 5 months. it was sad.

anyway, keep me updated on the food you find for your emu. I think fruits and veggies are OK, but, I used that as a snack.

do you have any type of feed mill where you live?

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 am

what was the place you got your emu's from feeding your emu's?
I have been trying to find a place near you that sells ratite or turkey food.
but, could not find any icon-sad not sure how costly it would be or even close to where you live if you had ratite feed shipped to you.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 23, 2019 2:25 am

[quote="pat"]
what type of pellets do you give your goats? I am not saying food is the issue from your emu's death. but, sounds like some of the food you were giving him is not good for an emu. /quote]

I don't know anything about what emus need but that's a good point. Goat food is high in copper because they need it but shouldn't be fed to sheep because it can kill them due to the copper building up because they don't need it. So it could be an issue to feed to emus as well unless they have a high copper need.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri May 24, 2019 10:18 am

I don't know anything about what emus need but that's a good point. Goat food is high in copper because they need it but shouldn't be fed to sheep because it can kill them due to the copper building up because they don't need it. So it could be an issue to feed to emus as well unless they have a high copper need.

I think you are correct Mary. I did more research on feeding emu's, and found the same answer. maybe long term could contribute to health or even death. icon-sad

I have raised many emus over the years, and would never think of giving them anything except ratite feed. where I live, I could not find ratite food.
turkey food was the next best food. along with fruit and veggies.

also, what I learned the hard way, is emu's are subject to menagerie worms.there is a preventive medication for that. wish I knew that then.
of course, I did after a got a few more emu's. I use to have about 6 or more emus. also rheas. the male rheas are very aggressive.

I hope the person that has the emu problem follows our advice. I hope she gives us an update.

Return to “RATITES”